Silver Link

Ed-farms

Klink, have a look in "Mallard and the A4 Class" by David McIntoshISBN 978.07110.3297.2 ian allan pub Page 126. Sorry i can't scan it for you (the scanner has lost its driver on the latest Windows)

Danke Sehr! B)

Unfortunately my local libraries in general are pretty sparse for the most part in specific railway books such as this (Colin Garratt has done very good business in our state by the look of things) but I'll track down a copy online- much obliged.

As a matter of interest, I have yet another variant of 'Silver Link' bought at a swap meet last Sunday- this one a detailed, rewheeled Wills A4 I think. Unfourtunately my camera is buried somewhere in my modelling piles so no pics for now. What struck me was the use of the 'Silver Link' nameplates in the middle of the silver loco...

When 'Bitterne' was cosmetically restored as 2509 Silver Link, the boiler casing, cab and tender side sheets were in silver grey, the valancing and frames in battleship grey and the front of the smokebox casing was painted charcoal. The restoration was undertaken by the North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group in association with an MSC scheme at ICI Chemicals & Polymers Ltd, Wilton.

Thanks Mick thats fantastic.

Pity its not Commonwealth of Australia!

Edit: found my camera and fired off a few shots at my 'Silver Link'...its actually a superdetailed repainted Wrenn A4.

The stainless steel lettering looks great but i'm still wondering why the nameplate in the middle of the Loco? Though, It still looks better than the Lilliput 2509 with the nameplate on the smokebox side.

The colour is again the opposite of the Hornby model, smokebox valences and cab roof grey similar to the Golden Age model.

Photo0133.jpg

Photo0134.jpg

Photo0135.jpg

And by way of comparison- 'Silver King' from the last 'Silver Jubilee' boxset they released. Looks great on the 'Jubilee' coaches.

Shots taken on the SARMA layout 'Florey Springs'.

100_0736.jpg

100_0659.jpg

100_0681.jpg

Archived