Claverton Engineering - 0-16.5 micro layout

Burkitt

Here's a photo of a bunch of rivets on a sprue for anyone interested. The green lines are at 1mm spacing.

PC170333.JPG

JB, I initially planned to use Archer rivet transfers, but went for the Grandt Line type instead for a couple of reasons. Because they are transfers, the extent to which you can clean the model after they have been applied is limited, which I wasn't keen on for something which has to be applied before painting. Gluing drawings to the model to aid positioning would not be an option with transfers, so they would have to be positioned freehand, something I wasn't confident I could do to a good standard. Positioning strips of them around curves would also be tricky, with lots of them needing to be cut out individually and the risk of multiple layers of backing paper looking messy.

Missy and Ian, thanks for your compliments. I think the rivets add a lot to the loco's character so hopefully all the effort will pay off.

Dave, thanks for the Longdendale Valley loco link. Its resemblance to the Hellingly loco is interesting. I have wondered if the Hellingly loco, with its narrow body on much wider frames, was based on an "off the shelf" narrow gauge design, modified to provide a small standard gauge loco.

PC170327.JPG

The loco looks a right mess at the moment, I've drilled all the holes, and peeled off most of the drawings, but have yet to wash off the last of them and the glue residue. That and actually adding the rivets will be a job for tomorrow.

Paul

PC270849.JPG

Painting is waiting until the weather improves, so I've been playing around with scrap card and printouts of the industrial buildings I drew in Sketchup. Surprisingly, once I started putting building shapes on the railway there actually turned out to be more room than I expected, contrary to the normal way these things work out.

inglenoook%20with%20wagons%2001.jpg

As often seems to happen when using Sketchup, I also got a bit carried away by planning extensions. The result of this is that I have determined that it is possible to fit a complete standard 5-3-3 inglenook, including headshunt, into the same 2 x A3 size as the current layout, plus a couple of extra sidings and a narrow boat.

Paul

Construction of the first building is under way - starting with the smallest one to practice techniques.

PC290863.JPG

This is the little corner of a building at the front of the right hand end of the layout, which supports the bridge that acts as a scenic break.

PC290866.JPG

I've also added a bit more track, which will be through the doors at the left of the layout.

Paul

PC310867.JPG

First bit of building now primed, and I've been drawing the second one onto brick embossed plastic to get the details of the design sorted. Also been trying various methods of making window frames - hand drawing them onto styrene and cutting out failed with two different thicknesses, but I've had more success printing the pattern on thick paper and cutting it from that.

Paul

Started on the second building today, the large block which is connected by a bridge to the first one I built.

P1010869.JPG

The design drawn out on the embossed plastic.

P1010871.JPG

Windows all cut out. The hole at the right is where the bridge connects with the building, the ground floor will be a loading bay for the railway.

Paul

The brick plastic is mounted on its foamboard backing now, and the arches over the windows are in place.

P1020878.JPG

I've also curved brickwork inwards around the edges of the upper floor doors, and put the girder in above the ground floor loading doors.

Paul

P1030884.JPG

Work this evening finished with the windowsills in place, each made from three layers of styrene glued together, brick edges added to most of the window openings, and a bit more detail put on the upper storey loading doors.

Paul

Someone got golf tees in a cracker at Christmas, and as no-one in the family plays golf they were quickly binned. Then I realised they would make excellent capitals for columns, so they were fished out again and put in the modelling bits box.

P1030889.JPG

As I had no brass tube of suitable diameter, but plenty of pencils, I cut two suitable lengths from one, then cut off the top of two tees at the place where they were of the same diameter as the pencil. After filing the cut parts of both to get as smooth a join as possible, I superglued the parts together, then drilled a vertical hole through the top and inserted a piece of brass rod and some more glue to make the joint nice and strong. Brass rod was also inserted in the bottom to secure the column to the floor.

P1030891.JPG

Finally I glued a square of styrene to the top, and wrapped a couple of bits of microstrip around the top and bottom of the capital to finish it off. It'll need a good wash before painting as the graphite from the pencil got everywhere when I drilled into it!

Paul

• RMweb Premium

That is a very cunning use of a tee. The front of the building is looking promising. I assume that it is photo that is making the bottom of the loading dock look a little bowed.

Someone got golf tees in a cracker at Christmas, and as no-one in the family plays golf they were quickly binned. Then I realised they would make excellent capitals for columns, so they were fished out again and put in the modelling bits box.

P1030889.JPG

As I had no brass tube of suitable diameter, but plenty of pencils, I cut two suitable lengths from one, then cut off the top of two tees at the place where they were of the same diameter as the pencil. After filing the cut parts of both to get as smooth a join as possible, I superglued the parts together, then drilled a vertical hole through the top and inserted a piece of brass rod and some more glue to make the joint nice and strong. Brass rod was also inserted in the bottom to secure the column to the floor.

P1030891.JPG

Finally I glued a square of styrene to the top, and wrapped a couple of bits of microstrip around the top and bottom of the capital to finish it off. It'll need a good wash before painting as the graphite from the pencil got everywhere when I drilled into it!

Paul

Now that really is clever.

I'm out of foamboard, so no modelling today until I can get to 4D models later this afternoon. Instead I had a play with my plan for a second module based on the Inglenook sidings design.

inglenoook%20with%20wagons%2001%20-%20Copy.jpg

I printed the plan out at full size on four sheets of A4 paper - each segment of the real thing is A3 sized - so I could test the siding lengths and clearances with the wagons.

P1040896b.jpg

As per the standard Inglenook specifications, the headshunt holds the loco plus three wagons, and three wagons can fit in the middle siding.

P1040897b.jpg

The rear siding also holds three wagons and five in the front one. It's a bit of a squeeze but there's still sufficient clearance for a train to pass into the centre siding.

Paul

P1050906.JPG

Got the warehouse mostly completed this evening, with the loading dock doors and columns in place and floors, side walls and the roof fitted.

P1050910%20copy.jpg

The doors will slide open so loads can be added and removed from wagons through them for a bit of extra fun. I need to give the whole building a good going over with wet and dry paper now to prepare it for painting.

Paul

Thanks for the kind words. I've had a frustrating time with foamboard buildings before, so I'm just glad they haven't become so warped they wouldn't look out of place in Pisa!

P1070916%20copy.jpg

This evening I put together the bridge which links the two buildings at the right hand end of the layout and forms a scenic break. It's a simple styrene box clad in South Eastern Finecast corrugated sheeting. I painted the inside of the bridge black before putting the roof on, as it became pretty inaccessible afterwards.

P1070912%20copy.jpg

On the underside I added some balsa wood to represent the decking, and some I beams and diagonal cross bracing to support it. Once the buildings are painted and attached permanently to the board, I'll trim the ends of the bridge to the exact length required to bring the beams flush with the adjoining walls.

Paul

I really like this layout but for some reason this thread (and only this thread) has now lost all its images. Every other thread I can see the images but they have disappeared and I want to see the update!!!!

Anyone else having this problem?

Artizen, I host all my images on Google's Picasa service, so If they were not visible I suspect Google was having a problem of some sort.

Stubby, the bodging was due to me making several silly mistakes when putting the van together - I forgot to scribe in the plank lines until the sides box shape was glued together, so had to put them on rather awkwardly, and realised half way I'd made the body too long for its chassis, and had to cut down a longer one to fit.

This evening I've started painting the balsa parts of the buildings a more realistic weathered wood colour.

P1130388.JPG

Sliding doors

P1130394.JPG

Underside of the bridge

P1130389.JPG

High level doors

P1130391.JPG

Loading platform - with the colours used, just washes of brown followed by black and then white.

P1130397.JPG

Whole warehouse building. The doors will get denser coats of green paint, with worn patches showing the wood beneath.

P1130338.JPG

Also gave the Hellingly-ish loco and box van a spray of primer.

P1130344.JPG

Finally a bogie flat I put together the other day. The bogies are from the wheel assemblies off a pair of old Hornby HAA hoppers, cut down and glued together.

Paul

Archived