Coronation Bittern

Mike J

I have had the fun of riding behind Bittern on the Watercress line. I am a GWR man at heart but I have a certain soft spot for the streaks and it is certainly a lovely engine that I would love to see it on the mainline "stretching its wheels". Mind you, I did hear one driver on the Watercress line complaining that although they were the fastest steam engines in the world, they could run backwards uphill. :lol:

Can anyone explain the renaming issue to me? Is DoNZ its original name or is it artistic license?

According to the magazines the renaming and repaint is apparently the brainchild of Roland Kennington who's wanted this to happen for a while.

He said he wanted a rename of members of the class built for the LNER's The Coronation service. These locos included 4488 Osprey which was renamed Union of South Africa (and is now preserved and at Crewe), 4489 Woodcock which was renamed Dominion of Canada (again preserved but in Canada), 4490 Empire of India, 4491 Commonwealth of Australia and finally 4492 Dominion of New Zealand.

4488 and 4489 are preserved so those were out and I think Roland said he wanted a Kings Cross based A4 of which I think 4492 was the only one of those based there or that wasn't preserved. The second tender is also being or has been repainted garter blue as well which I suspect Bittern will have on April 16th.

Hi,

Bittern (or Dominion of New Zealand, this could get confusing! :unsure: ) will be moving into the National Railway Musuem's tomorrow (Saturday 16th April) ready to be displayed next week.

It'll be displayed from the 18th to the 21st from 10:00 - 17:00, more infomation here:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/Events/locomotivemoves.aspx

Simon

Guest Belgian

I think it's double headed A4s out of the X on the 16th.

36E

Sadly, it's double-tenders, as "Bittern" has a water carrier which hasn't been disguised in any way, unlike the Tyseley one which just appears to be a BR GUV. The extra tender will spoil the appearance of an otherwise-splendid spectacle of a Garter Blue A4 with valances back on the main line.

JE

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, it's double-tenders, as "Bittern" has a water carrier which hasn't been disguised in any way, unlike the Tyseley one which just appears to be a BR GUV.

JE

However the GUV solution is also longer than the 2nd tender solution, which could work in Bittern's favour and allow an extra coach to be added to the train. At the end of the day railtours are not run for the benifit of lineside photogrphers and the extra revenue generated by carrying more passengers could be important come overhaul time

Hi Belgian,

you say that the 'water carrier' tender hasn't been disguised - I'm not sure exactly what you mean? If you mean that they haven't disguised it as a coach or wagon, then maybe that's true. However, if you mean it will stand out like a sore thumb, then you may just need to wait until tomorrow to see B) ;)

I'm sure 4492 will impress - just wish I could see its first mainline railtour run!!

Cheers,

Ixion.

the timings for todays run to york are as follows:-

1Z20 kings cross to edunburgh.

kings x dep 08:54

pottersbar pass 09:30

stevenage pass 09:49

huntingdon pass 10:25

peterborough pass 10:42

grantham 11:27 to 11:51 (water stop)

newark pass 12:20

retford pass 12:37

doncaster pass 12:56

shaftholme junc pass 1310

sherburn junc pass 1335

york 1350 to 1402 loco swap.

then with sir nigel (i think although according to tops sir nigel is currently running light to tyne yard)

york dep 14:02

thirsk pass 14:28

northallerton pass 14:36

durham pass 15:12

tyne yard 15:29 to 16:03 water stop/loco change maybe?

newcastle central pass 16:19

morpeth pass 16:42

alnmouth pass 17:32

berwick glp 18:08 to 18:51 water stop

dunbar 19:28

portebello junc pass 19:53

edinburgh arrive 20:01 after a 400 mile trip.

the empty coaches go to craigentiny as 5z24

edinburgh dep 20:27

millhill yard 20:43 to 20:48

craigentiny arr 2145

there is also a 'heritage diesel running light behind it all the way, either a 37 or 47 ill let you know which when it comes in on tops. luckily for me i have a lineside seat at peterborough, cameras ready!!

Guest Belgian

Hi Belgian,

you say that the 'water carrier' tender hasn't been disguised - I'm not sure exactly what you mean? If you mean that they haven't disguised it as a coach or wagon, then maybe that's true. However, if you mean it will stand out like a sore thumb, then you may just need to wait until tomorrow to see B) ;)

I'm sure 4492 will impress - just wish I could see its first mainline railtour run!!

Cheers,

Ixion.

Yes, that's what I meant, that it is a real tender rather than a vehicle "disguised" as an item of rolling stock. To me the double-tender look is so strange that it spoils the look of a locomotive, as happened when "Flying Scotsman" ran with a pair so many years back. It certainly looked strange on its first few outings behind "Bittern" and no amount of "disguising" it will stop it standing out like a sore thumb for me at least. But you seem to have inside knowledge so I will wait until later today to see what it looks like before scoring it on an awfulness scale!

After all, the appeal of any "historic" locomotive is its appearance first and foremost.

JE

What a fantastic sight! She looks stunning!:clapping_mini::biggrin_mini2:

All credit to Roland Kennington for having the foresight to paint her garter blue - the result is magnficient.

Now this is the first valanced garter blue A4 out of Kings Cross for how long? I suspect almost 70 years.

Was it getting a shove out of KX? Didn't seem to be doing a lot.

No shove - myself and Sean thought the same thing - but the 47 followed on, a section behind. 4492 seemed to breeze it!

Bye the bye, Chris Yates, recently passed out Mid Hants driver, firing the thing.

Congrats are in order - what a trip to be a fireman :D Hard work, no doubt, but all made up for by the engine on the front!

• RMweb Gold

Congrats are in order - what a trip to be a fireman :D Hard work, no doubt, but all made up for by the engine on the front!

They're not overly hard work, even on the main. Get a big back in there then little and often through the flap using the LNER teaspoon :rolleyes:

It's all in the wrist as they say....

They're not overly hard work, even on the main. Get a big back in there then little and often through the flap using the LNER teaspoon :rolleyes:

It's all in the wrist as they say....

Fair enough Phil :) I've been lucky enough to see Bittern on her first operating day in two liveries now - BR green at the MHR, Garter Blue at King's Cross - perhaps as Silver Link on the down run from Edinburgh next! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the photos do you not think that they should have painted the 2nd tender maroon or something - I think that the eye would then be fooled into looking at just the loco and 1st tender.

Any photoshop experts around, just to see if that would work?

Looking at the photos do you not think that they should have painted the 2nd tender maroon or something - I think that the eye would then be fooled into looking at just the loco and 1st tender.

Good idea

Hopefully this will prompt Hornby into creating a model of this version , long overdue .

I wonder if black might be a bit better for the second tender rather than maroon.

Painting the tender a different (more muted) colour than the loco does help, but I can't help but think say maroon is fine really only as long as it's next to a maroon coach, i.e. similar to when Scotsman's 2nd tender was painted blue/grey in the 70s.

As it is, it's always going to look a bit odd, still it's much better than the container flat that KEI hauled around for a while.

• RMweb Gold

I think the point is that your eye just concentrates on the loco and 1st tender with the 2nd tender painted a different colour - the 2nd tender sort of becomes part of the train.

Archived