Coronation Bittern

Mike J

I saw this loco coming south L/E after coming off the train and have to say it is a real credit to the team who did the work. Is it too early to predict this loco will be in the Hornby 2012 programme?

And if it is, will it appear in 1930s single chimney, single tender form or present day double chimney, double tender style?

Well, I managed the 80 mile round trip to the NRM to try and get a glimpse, but as I thought 4492 was behind those grubby closed doors at the end of the collections storage section, so no photo opportunities I'm affraid, but I did manage to see her. Took my long suffering other half with me, the highlight being her putting someone right when they insisted it was Mallard. Go get 'em girl, I'm so proud!

And if it is, will it appear in 1930s single chimney, single tender form or present day double chimney, double tender style?

If it was released as Double Chimney with Double Tender, i would be the first to go out and buy one, it looks absolutely stunning.

Guest Max Stafford

Dan, that is utterly, utterly glorious and the sight of it makes this man's heart sing! What a wonderful job they have made of this study in all that is good about Art Deco!

Dave.

Hi Belgian,

OK, I've waited and seen it, so I return to and stand by my original comments - the second tender looks totally out of place.

And I give it 10 out of 10 on the awfulness scale, but the loco and one tender 10 out of 10 on the beauty scale.

JE

Sorry that you were disappointed regarding the double tender but glad you liked the general look of the loco and first tender :D! I had wondered if you meant the fact that it had a second tender... but I didn't want to give the game away regarding colours or decor if not. I now see where you were coming from.

For the test run, the nameplates, 2nd (water) tender crest, cabside number/crest and lower bodyside silver strips were absent.

Looking at the various videos on a certain video internet site, I can but wish I made it over to the mainline to see its first run. But hey, there's plenty of time yet :)

Top marks to the A4 team and I wish them lots of success!

Cheers,

Ixion.

Woo Hoo, the good ol livery debate, we're in danger of becoming the National Preservation out post here! :D

IMHO I prefer green, but I do feel the change is an inspired one and full marks to all involved. It will distinguish "Bittern" from both number 7 and number 9 and grab a few headlines at least in the pres world!

I'm all for this run of livery changes, bring on some of the trial paint jobs from the early 50's! Definitely brings a bit of colour to the audience outside of the railway modelling/preservation circles!

I'd also like to see a few of the long since scrapped loco's temporarily raised from the grave. How about Tornado being renamed and renumbered as a different member of the class for each railtour it undertakes? Would certainly give the photter's the run around! :D

Hi

What an outstanding looking loco she is stunning and I really do like the second tender. I hope some day to see her in the flesh. Thanks all for posting those beautiful pictures and excellent videos. I fully intend to model this with the second tender.

Brilliant!

Martin

• 11 months later...

its so fantastic to see a loco being used to give us younger people a glimpse of what was and bring old photos to life.

i really like the idea of seeing bittern as other a4s that once was in liveries that the others did not carry. i think a4s look good in any livery however i really do favour lner skirted versions i saw here yesterday on the svr gonna pop down today and sunday to see her again. she looks so nice and a childhood dream for me come true to see an a4 in steam with valances.

i would love to see her pained as golden eagle in lner green at some point and as a sliver loco too.

i heard someone say that in 2014 all 6 a4s will be in steam together, yes all 6! is this true. i hope so. and i hope there all put in lner together. would be fantastic to see. and their original names too for the likes of union, dominion and dwight. was it osprey, woodcock and kingfisher, that would be a sight.

they are all being reunited but I Doubt that Canada, Dwight and Mallard, will be in steam as that is a heck of a lot of work for no real benefit to the NRM. Especially as the 2 Expats are only Loaners

And as for being in LNER livery, I wouldn't think that will happen as Sir Nigels group like it in BR express Blue

I wonder what state Dominion of Canada and Dwight D Eisenhower will arrive in. They both look pretty care worn at the moment, and if they're not up to museum standard will the NRM step in and repaint them? I gather that some form of cosmetic restoration of the two expats. is part of the loan deal, but which museum is to be responsible is not clear.

Then there is the question of liveries. I guess that Bittern may still be in Garter Blue in the guise of Dominion of New Zealand with either Coronation stainless steel trim or painted gold lettering.

Mallard will be in Garter Blue with gold lettering.

Sir Nigel gresley will be in BR express blue livery.

Union of South Africa will be in BR green.

Dominion of Canada is at present in BR green.

Dwight D Eisenhower is at present in BR green. (authentically grubby looking for the end of steam)

Anyone for temporarily returning DDE to wartime black livery or returning it to Golden Shuttle and West Riding Ltd. livery?

Then there's the question of the Silver Jubilee livery. (I know it's been done, I was there)

And BR experimental blue (purple) livery (a none starter?)

Whatever the liveries though, this will be a tremendous photo call, and not one to be missed if you're an A4 fan, so once again I'll be there.

Guest Belgian

Anyone for temporarily returning DDE to wartime black livery or returning it to Golden Shuttle and West Riding Ltd. livery?

Then there's the question of the Silver Jubilee livery. (I know it's been done, I was there)

And BR experimental blue (purple) livery (a none starter?)

How about Stars and Stripes???!

Bittern has now had her identity changed again though. She now appears in her original condition as 4464 with gold leaf 4464 numbers and LNER letters.

Thanks Dan, wasn't sure when this was happening...but it already has!

Archived