an idiot's workbench, silver fox falcon on pg2

• RMweb Gold

After looking at many of the post on here showing peoples work, I've taken the plunge and decided to show my efforts. The unfortunate model is a Hornby class 37, because due to a tight household budget splashing out loads on new models for me to attack with various implements is out of the question, so after looking at a few on ebay I managed to get a couple for around £20, one and old blue centre headcode code panel which is the subject of this thread and a railfreight grey spilt headcode one, but after ordering some parts from shawplan and asking brian a few questions he reassured me that the body is actually quite good. The first thing I have tackled is the bogies as they been for a cl 47 are unsuitable, so I bought some of Dave Alexanders fantastic whitemetal castings and proceded to whip of the side of the class 47 frames and attached the whitemetal ones, without thinking about the lug to regulate the height of the loco body, so I added a touch of low melt solder to the top of the frame in the centre and filed it to suit and below you should hopefully see how the loco sits on them which I think looks pretty good, except the fuel tanks now look really square, and after offering them up to some drawing are way too short, so I'm going to cut and shut a lima tank moulding in(kindly donated by James Wells), which will look miles better. .post-8180-0-08903800-1300454151_thumb.jpg post-8180-0-98938600-1300452833_thumb.jpg Thats all I have to show for the moment, am going to attack the body later with some shawplan window frames, english electric "d" lights,and roof fan and grill set, and I will post more picture up when I get this done. There a few other things to do to the body, like altering the valance, so depending on how brave I feel these will get done also, and if anyone has some tips please throw them my way.<BR> <BR>I will also try to take some better photo's

Cool! There seems to be quite a few projects about where older Lima/Hornby models are being upgraded and detailed, which I'm always interested i! :D

The new bogies make a huge difference already. I had a go at improving the tanks on my Lima 37 which was partially successful so I'm looking forward to your progress!

• RMweb Gold

cheers mate

got the "D"lights and one of the shawplan window etches on and even tho i've slightly bent the frames 'cos I stuck it on wrong twice! on one end and they make an even bigger difference, am going to do the other end later on so will put up some more pictures for scrutiny.

*Pointing and laughing* ... at how bad the Hornby underframe tanks are :lol:

ITs good to see how far you can go with an old model, Id say the fuel tanks may be work seeing to as well as they seem to be too big, and this seems to be more apprent after the lowering of the 37 on its bogies as well! you may also want to consider replacing all the grills as well which will further help improve the appearance of the 37... of course depending on hoe far you want to go, you could be mad enough to replace the cab handrails and even the brake cylinders on the bogies, as well as creating the various sanding pipes etc on the underframe area :D be interested to see progress on this project

NL

• RMweb Gold

*Pointing and laughing* ... at how bad the Hornby underframe tanks are :lol:

ITs good to see how far you can go with an old model, Id say the fuel tanks may be work seeing to as well as they seem to be too big, and this seems to be more apprent after the lowering of the 37 on its bogies as well! you may also want to consider replacing all the grills as well which will further help improve the appearance of the 37... of course depending on hoe far you want to go, you could be mad enough to replace the cab handrails and even the brake cylinders on the bogies, as well as creating the various sanding pipes etc on the underframe area :D be interested to see progress on this project

NL

This been my first real project my skills are quite limited so the amount of detailing will be restricted by this, will post some pictures later of the body with the shawplan windows and D lights and just they seem to bring the body "to life" as it were, I need to do a little more fettling around the lights and cab windows, as a light coat of primer has shown some rough patches.

In regards to the body side grills, is there a pack to replace all of them or just a few of them.

The fuel tanks are going to be a pain, as I think the Hornby bogies are too close together for me to simply replace them with the lima moulding, so I think that this is going to be the biggest test of my abilities.

Will post up pictures, when I've done a little more work.

This been my first real project my skills are quite limited so the amount of detailing will be restricted by this, will post some pictures later of the body with the shawplan windows and D lights and just they seem to bring the body "to life" as it were, I need to do a little more fettling around the lights and cab windows, as a light coat of primer has shown some rough patches.

In regards to the body side grills, is there a pack to replace all of them or just a few of them.

The fuel tanks are going to be a pain, as I think the Hornby bogies are too close together for me to simply replace them with the lima moulding, so I think that this is going to be the biggest test of my abilities.

Will post up pictures, when I've done a little more work.

There are etches to replace the fan grills, the nose grills can also be replaced, but this is where research comes into play because although not noticeable at first there is slight variation in the grills that are on the nose, so I would fill these with filler, and sand them down until theyre "flush" with the body, and the nadd the new grills. The ventilation grills on the side are not availiable as etches so these can be left as they are as they look fine. With the tanks, there is what is called a "moulded web" where there should be a gap/daylight, so if the tanks are too big, you could cut the tanks in half, remove the moulded webbing and move the tanks closer inwards so there is room for the bogies to pivot. The only problem with this is the tanks are moulded as one item to house the weight to aid traction, so you will have to provide weight a different way, which can be easily done by either lead flashing, or liquid lead

NL

Good to see this sort of stuff being done. No pointing and laughing from this vicinity. It's called modelling I believe and should be encouraged at every opportunity.

I have a 26 and a 60 by Lima that will be getting the treatment in due course.

steve

I agree with Steve, modelling should certainly be encouraged.

I do question financial constraints as a reason to undergo something like this though as to bring the old Hornby model even upto current RTR standards let alone improve on them would take as much money probably as to buy the modern RTR version in the first place, you could certainly get a much superior Lima loco for about the same and work less on that. I would much prefer this sort of modelling exercise paraded as something done because you enjoy modelling rather than through fanancial reasons. I always model to meet finances as I find even £60 or so a lot to pay for a loco when we need so many, and now sound is on the scene you have to add £100 to that. Thats why I have mainly second hand locos and cheap end of run stuff from ehattons. I have never paid more than £40 for loco yet (modern standards not old pancake motor stuff). I love to then attack them with everything I have to make them better. I really don't fancy paying top side of £80 to then do the same, which I would as I do this hobby to model not collect. My 90 is an example here. I paid about £18 off of ebay for the loco but I have changed just about everything on it, including fitting a Bachmann warship drive. It probably cost me in excess of £80 to produce plus oodles of my time but it's something that you simply can't buy. I wouldn't do the same with an 86, I would wait until an Heljan one drops to £40 buy that and adapt it to better standards.

Hats off to you rka, well done for keeping modelling alive, I will follow this with interest.

Cheers

Cav

kindly donated by James Wells

My pleasure Rik! :) Pleased to see it progressing!

Good to see this sort of stuff being done. No pointing and laughing from this vicinity. It's called modelling I believe and should be encouraged at every opportunity.

I have a 26 and a 60 by Lima that will be getting the treatment in due course.

Well it's alive and well in the Hull club!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/28941-class-47-underframes

Incidently Steve before you tackle your 26 remind me and I'll show you my half finished one! (Or see Matto21's thread!)

I would much prefer this sort of modelling exercise paraded as something done because you enjoy modelling rather than through fanancial reasons.

That's rather insulting... If you look at my thread on the class 47 project I have on the go you'll see why I went for a cheap project.

When I was out of work (receving no benefits as they said we could manage on what my wife earned part time, plus run a house, pay a mortgage and running a pet human - the DWP/'Job' Centre are an absolute f***ing joke.) it was a case of cheap project or no project. I started the 47 because I do enjoy that sort of work but the lack of finances meant I had to think around things more carefully than I may otherwise have done.

Although it may seem rather mellow dramatic, basic essentials take precedence over modelling supplies so instead of treating myself to a Vi Trains or Bachmann 47 as a starting point I bought a Lima model for sixteen pounds at a local toyfair and went from there. At the time, the £40 figure you metnion was too much at the time for us. I'm back working and we're doing ok now but the experience did us a lot of good.

You don't know people's circumstances always and it can be a very delicate subject - trust me...

i second some of james' comments. infact most of them, i say hats off to you RKA, keep up the good work, and i cant wait to see it finished, its good to see old models still in use, otherwise these would just sit and dust up. or end up in landfill. come to that and going off topic, i wonder just how many Hornby class 37s are underground??!! and how many 'would be priceless' locos are rotting in the ground!!?

• RMweb Gold

Well got some more done and took some more photo's of which I can only really use one as can't seem to take a good photo unless it's in natural light.

I've got the shawplan roof grill on(can't really see it in this pic tho!) have done a little on the valance, mainly cutting out the moulded pipe area and sticking a strip of plastic behind to give it some depth and opening out the buffer holes and dry fitting them to guage what it looks like.

I wasn't happy with the d lights so took them off and buggered around with them some more, so a little more work to do on the face of the loco tommorow with filler and will post up some more pictures when this is done, and below is the loco to date.

post-8180-0-32137600-1300662065_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the interest aswell folks and all points taken on board, and I can understand where RBE is coming from as after totting up the total parts that i have bought it's comes to approx£35, but as these have all been bought over a few months the cost hasn't been that noticeable, but shelling out £35 out of one weeks budget would be very noticeable, but he does have a point in the doing things for modelling reasons, as I am enjoying the couple of hours I get on a night after my little boy has gone to sleep doing this, and hopefully some of you lot might get a little too.

Anyway time for bed myself

Looking good rka, Ill also agree with james' comment, after all it goes to show you that you dont nessessarily have to pay £80+ for a modern standard RTR model, ok it may have the "all singing/all dancing" features, but that takes away the fun of the pleasure we all call "modelling" so I can also understand cavs comment as well... modelling should be appaulded and encouraged and not put down because of X Y Z reason..

rka; will you be adding pipes and a screw link etc to your 37?

NL

• RMweb Gold

Nick

yes I will be adding screw links and pipes to the buffer beams, but I think I might have to try and deepen the valance a bit as I think it doesn't go down low enough under the buffers. Think I'm going to leave the nose end grills alone though because I think that unless I can replace all of the bodyside grills it might look a little odd as the Hornby mouldings are quite deep, so some etched ones might throw the overall apperance out., but I am going to give the nose end sand filler box recess's a go monty wells style, and open out the head code box like I've seen on the penguins diesel detailing thread.

Well got some more done and took some more photo's of which I can only really use one as can't seem to take a good photo unless it's in natural light.

I've got the shawplan roof grill on(can't really see it in this pic tho!) have done a little on the valance, mainly cutting out the moulded pipe area and sticking a strip of plastic behind to give it some depth and opening out the buffer holes and dry fitting them to guage what it looks like.

I wasn't happy with the d lights so took them off and buggered around with them some more, so a little more work to do on the face of the loco tommorow with filler and will post up some more pictures when this is done, and below is the loco to date.

post-8180-0-32137600-1300662065_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the interest aswell folks and all points taken on board, and I can understand where RBE is coming from as after totting up the total parts that i have bought it's comes to approx£35, but as these have all been bought over a few months the cost hasn't been that noticeable, but shelling out £35 out of one weeks budget would be very noticeable, but he does have a point in the doing things for modelling reasons, as I am enjoying the couple of hours I get on a night after my little boy has gone to sleep doing this, and hopefully some of you lot might get a little too.

Anyway time for bed myself

Thanks rka for actually noticing my point. I know and understand the finances of modelling. Ive been on benefits many times. My point was that i applaud someone who models rather than buys. I too refuse to shell out big bucks even though i am a little more flush at the mo. I prefer to buy cheap and model. My comment mearly was to say lets celebrate modelling for modelling sake not because ready done models are too expensive.

I reaffirm. Well done rka

Cav

Well by starting with doing actual modelling should be encouraged and ending with hats off and i will follow with interest i kind of thought that my appreiciation was clear but obviously not. No offence was intended or implied. Anyway rka that 37 is starting to look the biz and i bet you will feel a lot more happy to have put a bit of yourself into it.

Cheers

Cav

• RMweb Gold

Hi rka - looking good there. Can I ask where the Dave Alexander white metal bogies come from? I've not heard of these before.

Aside from the financial issues, I think that there is something very satisfying modifying and detailing an old model to bring up to modern standards.

Following with interest.

• RMweb Gold

Have a look here -

http://www.xclent.fr...nder/models.htm

Best to ring rather than e-mail though!

dunno bout that mate, i've had more luck via email recently!!!

lima tanks going on to day, just need the extra strips I put in after cutting them up to fit on the Hornby chassis, filing down then glueing the tanks to the chassis.

even with the tanks sat on the floor with the loco above it with a gap between them it looks better than it did with the Hornby ones!!!

hope the shawplan horns I ordered come today aswell( come on postman) as these will help bring it to life a little more, other things to do open out the exhaust vents on the roof, and the headcode boxes and fit lamp irons(not looking forward to this as I have sausage fingers when it comes to owt fiddly).

It's slowly getting there and will post piccys later

Hi rka,

The 37 is looking good, so much so that is has inspired me to get one I started years ago out of the loft and look at it again. Mine is based on the Hornby split headcode box version with a Lima motor and trailer bogie fitted into the original Hornby chassis. I have scratchbuilt the tanks to an interpretation of the real thing.

post-7006-0-26708100-1300888070_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-53236000-1300888095_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-93109600-1300888115_thumb.jpg

With all the lovely bits that Shawplan do now, I really have no option but to go on and finish it. I might even give it a set of Ultrascales to finish it off! Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more progress.

Cheers for now, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi 5Bel, glad you like it mate and that you've dug your out, think james needs to now aswell!!! your fuel tanks look pretty good did consider scratch building some myself but cheated in the end!! got a split headcode one aswell to do so might scratch build some for that one, so seen as you've shown me yours it would only be fair that I show you mine with the lima tanks on, they need a little more work to get them to blend in but they are a massive improvement on the Hornby ones, think i've managed some better pictures aswell this time. post-8180-0-40541300-1300894151_thumb.jpg post-8180-0-83219300-1300894400_thumb.jpg post-8180-0-49226500-1300894934_thumb.jpg

Archived