Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New & Improved Class 33

Andy Y

Photoes of the model of 33002 show the model without the high intensity light. She did run as such in Dutch but most of Dutch life was with.

Thanks for the REX update. It would be good to know what else that REX intended that Heljan missed.

Yes, 33002 ran in Dutch without headlights, many did in the early days of repaints. Also had cast arrows where depot logos went in the end.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed I assumed perhaps naively that the updated versions would have the high intensity headlights as standard. Doing some research over the past week as I would like to have two of the new dutch models (one with different number perhaps sultan?) it would appear the HI headlights were fitted sometime after the dutch livery was rolled out, as has been commented upon. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86020500@N06/8437190149/in/photolist-dRyNFF-bvYRPN-aGKkjH-8fFka6-dM838B-dM83cX-dRnaY8-iL9Epf-amxBhz-fEfpZ6-d1XwoC-d1XvLS-8fFjVP-bVj9w7-d22WqS-dkQUoe-dkQXbU-dUpLwo-bQACJD-beNe1K-beNdRp-eQj5FU-dqXeTx-9v2kr2-9e7vro-bqbPzH-bqbQCZ-bqbRSt-94LbCJ-bnt2dZ-ds6AJH-anwAng-9D21oo-9D1Hfu-9D1ZH5-9D1Zpm-diFpVT-99vQ7x-e2yMNF-9jR7wt-dqX2qa-aTMFNt-bq9qpV-dG79Xv-bNBtiV-9NtdsT-a7iKXW-a7iL9L-dUyxLZ

Cheers

Indeed I assumed perhaps naively that the updated versions would have the high intensity headlights as standard. Doing some research over the past week as I would like to have two of the new dutch models (one with different number perhaps sultan?) it would appear the HI headlights were fitted sometime after the dutch livery was rolled out, as has been commented upon. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86020500@N06/8437190149/in/photolist-dRyNFF-bvYRPN-aGKkjH-8fFka6-dM838B-dM83cX-dRnaY8-iL9Epf-amxBhz-fEfpZ6-d1XwoC-d1XvLS-8fFjVP-bVj9w7-d22WqS-dkQUoe-dkQXbU-dUpLwo-bQACJD-beNe1K-beNdRp-eQj5FU-dqXeTx-9v2kr2-9e7vro-bqbPzH-bqbQCZ-bqbRSt-94LbCJ-bnt2dZ-ds6AJH-anwAng-9D21oo-9D1Hfu-9D1ZH5-9D1Zpm-diFpVT-99vQ7x-e2yMNF-9jR7wt-dqX2qa-aTMFNt-bq9qpV-dG79Xv-bNBtiV-9NtdsT-a7iKXW-a7iL9L-dUyxLZ

Cheers

The Rex Dutch pair was one with and one without hi inTensity lights.

Does anybody know if REX intend to get somebody else to manufacture 33s to their detailed spec?

Yes, they say a European manufacturer...

So, probably still to get a manufacturer signed up? Could be Vi, but if not then a business with no recent OO/UK market experience. Then the whole development process into a manufacturable product to complete, from scratch from the manufacturer's perspective. And for however long all that takes and the resulting price, Heljan will have their revised 33/0 on sale at a 2014 start point price, in as many variants as they consider likely to find a market, with the likely discounting of less popular variants that occurs some months after the introduction.

I am all for gritty determination to see it through, persistence in getting the job done right, commitment to the best possible product: and also a commensurate financial return for the effort. Cannot help but feel that the last may prove 'challenging'. There are still whole classes of BR diesel and electric traction with nary an adequate RTR model is all...

I am all for gritty determination to see it through, persistence in getting the job done right, commitment to the best possible product...

I'd agree something definitely not right in those pix. Those numbers look wrong to me and the poorly fitted glazing and bowed sole bars don't help either. What's that black printing under the horribly chunky grille (a backward step) either side of the data panel? Not printed-on detail Is it? Look forward to some better photos but it doesn't get me excited at all.

Regards

Igor

Agree something looks a bit odd about the font though quite what. As for the detail either side of the data panel it looks as if they have printed on the two small panels that were added beneath the grill when the exhaust arrangement was changed. The original 33 models had these moulded on.

Stu

The Kernow shots of the green versions show them with the modded exhaust. That is, I think, OK for D6577 but not for D6507.

Personally I'm beginning to wonder why they bothered with the whole exercise.

Stu

It may be too early to get steamed up about this. The Kernow text (my emphasis added) accompanying the picture of D6507 says:

"

3410 Heljan Class 33/0 Diesel Locomotive number D6507 in BR Green livery.

DCC Ready - 8 Pin Decoder Socket

New release - expected March 2014 - pre-orders invited.

Heljan have not provided any images of these new models.  We have used previous versions of the Class 33 to illustrate what we believe to be the correct livery but this may of course change.

'

The Nim.

It may be too early to get steamed up about this. The Kernow text (my emphasis added) accompanying the picture of D6507 says:

"

3410 Heljan Class 33/0 Diesel Locomotive number D6507 in BR Green livery.

DCC Ready - 8 Pin Decoder Socket

New release - expected March 2014 - pre-orders invited.

Heljan have not provided any images of these new models.  We have used previous versions of the Class 33 to illustrate what we believe to be the correct livery but this may of course change.

'

The Nim.

Correct

The Kernow reference to these models is misleading as it shows images of the previous bodyshell which has now been revised. However they have quantified in their statement.

All of the new versions in green livery will feature the original exhaust arrangement which is correct for the running numbers being produced. The blue versions and later liveries will feature the revised exhaust arrangement that was introduced from new on D6581-D6585.

The Kernow reference to these models is misleading as it shows images of the previous bodyshell which has now been revised. However they have quantified in their statement.

Thanks for that, I was beginning to wonder as I was sure it wasn't there when I first looked.

And thanks for clarifying which green ones had the revised exhaust.

Stu

Thanx for the pic links Lapford.

These are first fully painted samples and the incorrect font application has been reported back to Denmark.

But HJ's own Facebook announcement said they were being tested and despatched back on February 12.

And now they are here (assuming Hattons took the pictures), the Dutch one is still showing the wrong font... It doesn't look any different to me! What do others think?

The font was correct on the approved artwork.

That somehow makes it OK then! Lol. But model has still ended up wrong if that is a new pic.

Gonna have a good look in the flesh before I do anything about replacing my old fleet - the side windows the a little funny in the Hattons pic (could be shadow or rubber grommet), but I'm more worried by the odd-looking side on shape of the bogie frames at the top edge curves.

Am I the only one who is worried by the 'cheapskate' old Bachmann trick (Deltic?) of printed detail and panel lines on this Crompton and the 128 DPU? The connecting door outline on the green Class 26 looks suspicious from the available pictures but I'm happy to be proven (and hope I am) wrong.

Regards

Igor

Am I the only one who is worried by the 'cheapskate' old Bachmann trick (Deltic?) of printed detail and panel lines

Probably to with making the green version accurate but agreed it's a bit of a dodge. I've invested enough time and effort in my 5 assorted versions to make what I've seen so far of the new one a marginal choice.

However a possible silver lining for some. The Mk 1 version now down to £60.

http://www.ehattons.com/33098/Heljan_3382_Class_33_0_D6579_in_BR_Blue_with_full_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx

Stu