New & Improved Class 33

Andy Y

I see Heljan have changed their boxes. Since the last loco I brought of theirs was the laudable DP2, when did this happen?

I don't know when it happened but I've just taken delivery of a couple more Claytons, which are also in the new, see-through box.

Paul

Just read the latest Model Rail review of these and they say these are no good for 1st radius curves - I'm sure that won't affect many - It does me. 

Steve

The original Heljan 33/0 could not go round 1st radius curves either. In fact I doubt mine will even go round second.

What scores did model rail give the model?

Thanx for the pic links Lapford.

But HJ's own Facebook announcement said they were being tested and despatched back on February 12.

And now they are here (assuming Hattons took the pictures), the Dutch one is still showing the wrong font... It doesn't look any different to me! What do others think?

That somehow makes it OK then! Lol. But model has still ended up wrong if that is a new pic.

Gonna have a good look in the flesh before I do anything about replacing my old fleet - the side windows the a little funny in the Hattons pic (could be shadow or rubber grommet), but I'm more worried by the odd-looking side on shape of the bogie frames at the top edge curves.

Am I the only one who is worried by the 'cheapskate' old Bachmann trick (Deltic?) of printed detail and panel lines on this Crompton and the 128 DPU? The connecting door outline on the green Class 26 looks suspicious from the available pictures but I'm happy to be proven (and hope I am) wrong.

Regards

Igor

Perhaps, if you don't like, you shouldn't buy.

The original Heljan 33/0 could not go round 1st radius curves either. In fact I doubt mine will even go round second.

What scores did model rail give the model?

The 33/1 and 33/2 got 80%

The 33/0 was given 5/10 for looks (the other two were 8/10), which would give an overall percentage of 74%.

For comparison, Heljan's Clayton gets 80%; Class 16 gets 87%; Hornby's 50 ("still one of the best 00 diesels") 89%; the new HST 90%; Bachmann's 37 91%; Dapol's Western 92%.

Paul

The new Heljan 33 in its original condition was rated as 87% by Model Rail, 9s for looks performance and decoration, 8s for features and value for money - being their own limited edition one the vfm rating would be pretty fixed although on the main batch the vfm presumably will go up the greater discount its sold at.

Note (9x3 + 8x2)/5 is 8.6 (86%) while ignoring the vfm category gives the model 87.5%.

Percentage ratings in a magazine may matter to some, but surely the only important rating given to a model is the one given to it by the purchaser? If you like it, buy it, and if you can improve on it, excellent! A low Model Rail (for example) rating would not deter me. I would want to see the model for myself and then make the decision whether to purchase. I do sometimes think we can get too hung up on what other people think...

Put it this way, if you're in the market for a RTR Crompton, there's not really a lot of choice, is there?

Edited by Pete_S

• RMweb Premium

Evening All,

Crompton '002 duly arrived on shed in Lincolnshire, light-engine from Liverpool, yesterday morning, so I thought a couple of pictures might not go amiss ( - with apologies for the quality of the photos: taken with the 'phone.) 

A head-on shot first, with a similar view of the real thing taken a while back at the GCR.  For my money at least, it captures the essential 'Crompton-ness' (-not sure if that is a legitimate word?!) of the original: it certainly has the Crompton 'smile'.   I also thought a side view might be appreciated: to my eye the number font  looks a little squirrely, the mesh on the grille rather heavy (albeit the cruel close-up accentuates it somewhat) and the two little panels below the grille are printed on.  However, overall I am rather pleased with it and looking forward to adding some etched brass and/or styrene bits and bobs in due course - a little light modelling is always a welcome relief from the real world!  Hope the snaps are of some use. 

Best wishes,

Paul

post-10582-0-63420000-1393192899_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-98135400-1393192934_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-57838200-1393193023_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The new Heljan 33 in its original condition was rated as 87% by Model Rail, 9s for looks performance and decoration, 8s for features and value for money - being their own limited edition one the vfm rating would be pretty fixed although on the main batch the vfm presumably will go up the greater discount its sold at.

Note (9x3 + 8x2)/5 is 8.6 (86%) while ignoring the vfm category gives the model 87.5%.

Thanks, in which did they review it?

Percentage ratings in a magazine may matter to some, but surely the only important rating given to a model is the one given to it by the purchaser? If you like it, buy it, and if you can improve on it, excellent! A low Model Rail (for example) rating would not deter me. I would want to see the model for myself and then make the decision whether to purchase. I do sometimes think we can get too hung up on what other people think...

Put it this way, if you're in the market for a RTR Crompton, there's not really a lot of choice, is there?

I agree with the overall sentiment, and would like to see the model for myself first, but being overseas it is rather more difficult to do so. I (and, presumably, other overseas based modellers) sometimes have to rely on the magazine and Internet reviews to help make up our minds whether to commit to buy or not.

Although I can agree with the overall sentiment, I would need to travel 600 miles to see one. Others here would have to travel half way around the world. So I need to gather opinions instead.

There is actually quite a bit of choice now: former Lima one, original Heljan one, new Heljan one and maybe in year or so, a Rex one. Each at different prices and quality.

Just read the latest Model Rail review of these and they say these are no good for 1st radius curves...

Any clue to the why and what might be done to amend this? That's what you need to know.

I should have thought the 33 shares running gear with the 26/27, and that definitely will go round R1, although it is on the limit there; bogie pivotting mechanically constrained by the chassis design. I would be confident of getting a 33 to run on R1, but it very likely would require adjustments /alterations to eliminate binding, snagging and other limitations on the bogies pivotting. Something as simple as one pick up wire effectively short due to the way it is assembled can be the cause.

I agree with the overall sentiment, and would like to see the model for myself first, but being overseas it is rather more difficult to do so. I (and, presumably, other overseas based modellers) sometimes have to rely on the magazine and Internet reviews to help make up our minds whether to commit to buy or not.

Fair point, and one I hadn't considered. Although there aren't any model shops where I live, only a short journey would be necessary to view.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening All,

Crompton '002 duly arrived on shed in Lincolnshire, light-engine from Liverpool, yesterday morning, so I thought a couple of pictures might not go amiss ( - with apologies for the quality of the photos: taken with the 'phone.) 

A head-on shot first, with a similar view of the real thing taken a while back at the GCR.  For my money at least, it captures the essential 'Crompton-ness' (-not sure if that is a legitimate word?!) of the original: it certainly has the Crompton 'smile'.   I also thought a side view might be appreciated: to my eye the number font  looks a little squirrely, the mesh on the grille rather heavy (albeit the cruel close-up accentuates it somewhat) and the two little panels below the grille are printed on.  However, overall I am rather pleased with it and looking forward to adding some etched brass and/or styrene bits and bobs in due course - a little light modelling is always a welcome relief from the real world!  Hope the snaps are of some use. 

Best wishes,

Paul

Thanks for the photos. They show just how wrong the large body side radiator grills are, the mesh being a minor point compared to how much too far they protrude. The wrong font for the numbers doesn't help either but that's easily fixed. Certainly not good enough to replace my current two Heljan 33/0s.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for doing the pics Paul.

On what I've seen this is looking like the great leap sideways.

Will await the green version now.

Stu

Glad the pictures were helpful. 

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, but I at least think the new version represents (qualified) progress when compared to what is currently available.  Granted it is not perfect - little ever is - but I would far rather address detail anomalies such as the numbers and the grille ( - I strongly suspect that an etched replacement cannot be too far away) than try to sort out something as fundamental as the overall body shape. In my subjective eyes the predecessor model never really nailed it because of the roof profile issue, though folks on this forum have admittedly done wonders with them: indeed I laid in several 'bagpipes' with a view to modifying them back to 33/0 condition ( - or at least that was the excuse for a shopping spree when interrogated about what the postman had brought this time!)  Now I don't think I'll bother and just enjoy them as they are.  I guess 'you pays yer money and takes yer choice...'  Happy modelling.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed the 'rivet' that sits by the side of the tail light lens has swapped sides on the model from the 21st century prototype.  Time to look at some photos from a more contemporary time frame.

Edit

Looks like the 1:1 scale modelers of the 21st century got it wrong :mosking:  

2nd Edit

... ah so it's a knob for changing the lens colour from white to red.

Edited by griffgriff

Evening all.

Thanks for the photos!

I like the new roof profile.... looks about right to me and overall the front looks good. I notice there is some improvement with the bogies too.

Being picky... the bodyside grills don't do it for me. I prefer the molded versions but I reckon should Brian @ shawplan have a go the side profile will look good. It's probably just me but it's the first time I've noticed the front handrails looking heavy. I was very interested in the construction livery version... numbering spoils what is a nice livery.

My guess is the bodyside lifting handles will prevent the loco going round 1st radius.

It's nice that we're spoilt these days with excellent models