Etching price rises

PaulRhB

Please could you point me in the direction of a picture, I haven't needed to use any of their bits.

Roger

http://shawplan.wordpress.com/2011/02/19/19th-february-2011/ is probably the best example on the web. The 37 roof fan mesh is superb too.

Some of the 2mm scale name plates are very impressive too.

Kenton - the etches must love etching away that much white space! At least the w-irons are separate at both ends to allow you to replace them with some sprung ones. Its a nice laid out kit but I wouldn't have called it revolutionary or anything.

I'll be interested to see how my double bolster body comes back as i've tried to do something different to fold up the t section more easily on the ends of the body as well as the sides being 3 layers thick which took some thought planning the folding.

Kenton - the etches must love etching away that much white space! At least the w-irons are separate at both ends to allow you to replace them with some sprung ones. Its a nice laid out kit but I wouldn't have called it revolutionary or anything.

If you were so inclined. But I praise the design for the resistance to fill some of those open spaces with more parts (and therefore more tabs to cut. The veranda is notorious for being bent out of shape on brake van kits. I find very few kits (perhaps just me) where the origami school of design is adopted. :)

The etching company will hate that design, as there is too much metal to etch away, and that loads up the etching baths. It is better to shape the supporting fret to the shape of the part, minimising those large open areas. This is not something that etching companies normally tell you, but if you know someone in the business, they will tell you they don't like it.

Another issue is spares of very small parts. Most etch designers provide the exact number, when it is a really simple thing to provide some spares. Kits builders will love you for it.

I have split this part of the discussion off into 'What Makes Good Etch Kit Design', as it has gone a little off topic.

Archived