Coventry Model Railway Shops

narrowman

I'm off on one of my coach trips at the beginning of April to Coventry. I'm aware of Antics, but are there any other model railway or model shops in the city centre?

Needs to be the centre, as I want to visit the Motor Museum and won't have time to go galavanting too far!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I'm off on one of my coach trips at the beginning of April to Coventry. I'm aware of Antics, but are there any other model railway or model shops in the city centre?

Needs to be the centre, as I want to visit the Motor Museum and won't have time to go galavanting too far!

Tony

You'll be lucky Tony ! Theres only Antics as you say which is just around the corner from the museum.Nothing else I'm afraid.Thats why I shop in CTMB of Leamington. ;) The museum is superb by the way.

Tony

When I read the title of this thread I thought that perhaps a new shop had opened in Coventry. I don't think the city has had 'shops' plural since the model shop under the arches in Spon End shut years ago!:rolleyes: :unsure: :blink:

i know of antics in coventry good shop, now daves back from his little defect away to a rival company , if theres anything you especially need call him and if he can it will be waiting for you when you get there, but there are no other railway model shops in town centre motor museum is worth the trip alone

Thanks for your replies.

It looks like it's the Museum, Antics and a good coffee bar somewhere, then!

Tony

Browns (next to the Herbert Art Gallery) does excellent Coffee and Food. Actually, the Herbert might be worth a quick visit, if there's an exhibition that might be of interest to you.

As you might have gathered, Coventry is particuarly devoid of Model Shops (and model railway interest in general), after the shop in Allesley Park closed a couple of years ago.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It pains me to say but I had a very poor service in Antics today.The item I wanted was behind the counter reserved for another customer.I went in three weeks ago and an order was taken for some more.Would they sell me the item three weeks on ,no.Have they rang the other customer to tell them its in stock ? No. :help: If its not sold by next week I can have it. :angry:

You would think in todays retail climate they would use their retail brain a bit.They lost some custom today.For all they know I could have been spending a few hundred.

• RMweb Gold

As you might have gathered, Coventry is particuarly devoid of Model Shops (and model railway interest in general), after the shop in Allesley Park closed a couple of years ago.

:unknw_mini:Sorry to dissapoint you but there a couple model railway clubs that maybe of interest around the Coventry area firstly there is the Coventry model railway club which is based in the canal basin buildings/old warehouse on the third floor they have a few layouts in various scales including a huge 4mm scale model of Trowbridge under construction.

If memory serves right they meet on a Tuesday evening from about 7:30pm until about 10pm I was a member about 10years ago now but I lost interest due to the fact they didnt really cater for the modern image modeller !!

Then there is the GEC model engineering society which is based at the GEC sports an social club off Allard way near Ernsford grange they mainly deal with miniature steam loco's in 3 1/2 inch and 5 inch and also they have a 7 1/4 scale railway around part of the grounds and finally they use to have a model railway inside the club hut but that must have been atleast 10 years ago now ?

Then depending on your interest and scale of course there is the Coventry 0 gauge group they use to have a show every year but not heard of anything for the past couple of years ?

Then there is the DEMU west midlands area group we usually have meet ups and I know there is a BBQ/ rolling stock weathering event next month ?

I hope this helps as you see Coventry does still have a few model related groups still going strong ?

I've even thought about starting a new club for the modern image modeller but its just organising etc and the fact I work on the real railway and trying to fit it all in ?

It pains me to say but I had a very poor service in Antics today.The item I wanted was behind the counter reserved for another customer.I went in three weeks ago and an order was taken for some more.Would they sell me the item three weeks on ,no.Have they rang the other customer to tell them its in stock ? No. :help: If its not sold by next week I can have it. :angry:

You would think in todays retail climate they would use their retail brain a bit.They lost some custom today.For all they know I could have been spending a few hundred.

I am the Store Manager of Antics in Coventry and I wish to reply to this comment.

Our company policy is to hold customer orders for 28 days from the date that it reached our store. If the item is not collected within 28 days, it will be returned to the shelves for general sale. This is clearly stated around our store, 1 of which is displayed at the customer till. This is a policy we do adhere to and works extremely well as 1 of our main priorities is customer loyalty. Unfortunately, in this particular case, the item had not been in our posession for the 28 days, and it would have been very unprofessional to alter our policies for individual customers.

• RMweb Gold

I am the Store Manager of Antics in Coventry and I wish to reply to this comment.

Our company policy is to hold customer orders for 28 days from the date that it reached our store. If the item is not collected within 28 days, it will be returned to the shelves for general sale. This is clearly stated around our store, 1 of which is displayed at the customer till. This is a policy we do adhere to and works extremely well as 1 of our main priorities is customer loyalty. Unfortunately, in this particular case, the item had not been in our posession for the 28 days, and it would have been very unprofessional to alter our policies for individual customers.

Thats fair enough but have you contacted the other customer to tell them its in stock and why does your website still show it if its sold or put by.This isn't the first time I've been disappointed.Thanks for putting your point of view over.

I shop in antics quite often and have been there when the van / delivery arrives, they quickly work through a huge pile of stock, checking each item against the customer order sheet and phoning the customer there and then before placing it on the customer order shelf.

I have been told that the reason stock remains to be shown on the web is something due to the stock system, possibly to prevent errors when stock takes are done?

I'm sure the manager of the store would be able to give a better explanation

If there is only one item showing on the web I phone before setting off to reserve it, saves a wasted trip, although I normally go for a few things anyway.

• RMweb Gold

I also shop in antics in Coventry and I must say the customer service is fantastic I totally agree with the holding a particualr item for 28 days policy I wish other shops did this !!

I've known Dave for a number of years from the old Coventry model railway club days and he's always been fair to all customers I couldnt really ask for anymore especially when I had a little flying accident with my Hornby class 73 !!

Archived