GWR Drinking Water Wagon livery?

oday i have built a GWR Drinking water wagon Dia DD1 the info with the kit say that the livery was Dark green with yellow lettering but ithe only photo i can find is in the GWR Goods Wagon book by R Tourret page 503 which show it in loco Dept livery

Can anyone help with any more Info

Thanks in advance

post-6686-0-65538800-1300986071_thumb.jpg

Only reference to this I have seen was that it was involved in the 1904 painting trials - so green with large yellow lettering seems feasible.

Sometimes don't you just wish that colour had never been invented (or colour photography been available earlier)

What period are we looking for?

According to the HMRS's 'Great Western Way' page 103, covering the period 1904 - 1919...

and I quote 'Travelling water tanks were now painted white with large letters on their sides

and numbers, tares etc., on the solebar; it is believed the letters on the tank were black

but those on the solebar was certainly white'.

I can't see a reference to water tanks during 1929 - 1936,

although there were the white refrigerator vans - Mica's.

1939 - 1947, again no mention of water tanks, but still white Mica's

Edit - Ooops, sorry Kenton I was typing when you posted.... GWWay, doesn't mention trails though!

Only reference to this I have seen was that it was involved in the 1904 painting trials - so green with large yellow lettering seems feasible.

Sometimes don't you just wish that colour had never been invented (or colour photography been available earlier)

Now would the Dark Green Be GWR Green??

Edit - Ooops, sorry Kenton I was typing when you posted.... GWWay, doesn't mention trails though!

That's fine - I guess just because one was used in painting trials doesn't mean it wasn't re-painted. White seems quite logical to me.

Anyway wasn't this another one of GWR's great one off trials ? DD1 being a 3000 gal (20ft.oh) version of the previous DD2 2000gal (16ft.oh) which were simply converted (roofed) N6 ?

What period are we looking for?

According to the HMRS's 'Great Western Way' page 103, covering the period 1904 - 1919...

and I quote 'Travelling water tanks were now painted white with large letters on their sides

and numbers, tares etc., on the solebar; it is believed the letters on the tank were black

but those on the solebar was certainly white'.

I can't see a reference to water tanks during 1929 - 1936,

although there were the white refrigerator vans - Mica's.

1939 - 1947, again no mention of water tanks, but still white Mica's

I am looking at finishing the wagon as built so green

the white livery with black lettering is the livery from the trials in 1904 for which i have just found a photo of in the same book as above page 245 plate 302

Kenton there were 16 built so not one of

The first one is clearly a DD2 not a (the) DD1.

The second (although it doesn't say so) I'm pretty sure is also a DD2.

Now lets not muddle our DD2's with our DD1 (please convince me there were more DD1's) The(y), the DD1(s), were much bigger (see my post above)

of course this being a Falcon kit could well be a DD2 or anything in between ;) - Brian how does the measurements of the kit scale up?

The first one is clearly a DD2 not a (the) DD1.

The second (although it doesn't say so I'm pretty sure is also a DD2.

Now lets not muddle our DD2's with our DD1 (please convince me there were more DD1's) The(y), the DD1(s), were much bigger (see my post above)

of course this being a Falcon kit could well be a DD2 or anything in between ;) - Brian how does the measurements of the kit scale up?

size

wheel base 50mm scale 12.5 foot a DD1 was 13 foot but a DD2 was 9 foot

body lenth 78mm scale 19.5 foot a DD1 was 20 foot but a DD2 was 16 foot

looking at the photos the body is a DD1( see drawing in my 1st post) with the rivits & curved ends but is 6 inch short

DD2 has flat ends

post-6686-0-72078500-1300995439_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

I guess 6" out is pretty good for a Falcon.

You've made a nice job of it.

Looks good in brass - I'd leave it like that :lol:

It would save any arguments. :rolleyes:

Atkins/Beard/Tourret has a photo of an elderly DD1 in a pale but dirty livery with faded dark (black?) lettering. To me this suggests they were indeed painted white. This would be sensible as white would keep the contents reasonably cool. Unfortunately the photo shows it fitted with some of pump....

Archived