The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

SCHIENENZEPPELIN

Jonboy

• RMweb Premium

I remember seeing pictures of it when I was lad in the 50s, in the sort of railway books boys were given, so I think it was real. I'll consult the railway library in the loft in a bit and see if I have anything more recent.

Pete

It is real and Marklin (Märklin, Maerklin!) have made models of it in H0 at least! I don't know of any Trix versions so it would have to be a stand alone model unless you run three rail track! No doupt it would be quite pricey though!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

From a modeller's point of view, the Schienenzeppelin most likely is just as impractical as the real thing was, as it had two wheelsets in reality, whose long wheelbase would probably lead to serious curve running problems on normal model track radii. Consequently, the Märklin model was designed with two bogies, which the real Schienenzepp never had.

That has to be the best german name ive ever herd!

That could be the subject of a new topic.

My favoutite. Panzerschwein.

Back on topic. There was a model and a display of historical notes about the machine in the Transport Museum in Dresden back in the GDR period.

Bernard

Archived