Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

My layout is full of gradients (some of them are intentional too) and i have found cleaning the rails with a peco track rubber across the rails instead of along makes a difference. Maybe an initial rub up the wrong way with a fine emery first.

Not sure about that one, LNERGE as I was always told not to use track cleaners as they leave microscopic scratches on the rail which provides a key for dirt to accumulate on the rails.

Surely emery cloth would be 10 times worse......or is this an old wive's tale.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure about that one, LNERGE as I was always told not to use track cleaners as they leave microscopic scratches on the rail which provides a key for dirt to accumulate on the rails.

Surely emery cloth would be 10 times worse......or is this an old wive's tale.

See: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55157-keeping-check-rails-dirty/page-2&do=findComment&comment=669122

Maybe you painted them Larry and I didn't realise at the time. Either way, they are very, very good.....

Do you recognise any of them? I'm guessing it would be 2001/2/3/4 or so. I have the receipts somewhere, so could be more exact...

I would have to rescue some invoice books from the attic to be sure. I was painting quite a bit of 7mm during the years you mention, as I could see the writing on the wall for 4mm due to improving plastic RTR and I was moving into RTR brass.

Edited by coachmann

Hi Gordon,

Coming along wonderfully. To my incompetent Peco mind, the track laying is jaw-dropping!

Having seen and admired a few of your locos, can I ask what your view is on weathering? Personally, I'm torn, but make it fairly minimal on green locos, and not too intensive on lined black. As far as 9fs go, however, intensive weathering is their livery! :D

Regards,

Hal

Here's a few more of Graham's loco's. The receipts are dated 2001,2,3 but they might ring a bell….

Another Brit 70002 Geoffrey Chaucer. Fond memories of seeing this loco at Liverpool Street in the '60's.

post-6950-0-90580900-1422635525_thumb.jpg

72006. First Clan I copped at Carlisle on my way up to Glasgow on The Royal Scot. I had yet to discover girls and cars, so the pleasure was immense...

post-6950-0-48656300-1422635526_thumb.jpg

46240. Even as an LNER man, I could only admire the beauty of these red beasts..

post-6950-0-49269300-1422635527_thumb.jpg

A couple of LNER workhorses. No sooner had I had them built, Bachmann announced their plans...

post-6950-0-62110900-1422635533_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-55312900-1422635535_thumb.jpg

Graham built this K2 as an article for the Railway Modeller. It appeared as a 2/4 page article and was too good to miss. Of course K2's are now available in RTR courtesy of Hornby.

post-6950-0-02990300-1422635528_thumb.jpg

A couple of A3's. 60103, a number as a KX lad, I'll never forget. I just loved the German smoke deflectors some A3's had fitted and felt they really added to the beauty of these locos. Of course having had 60077 built it was the signal for Hornby to release a RTR one…..

post-6950-0-70674200-1422635534_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-46353400-1422635530_thumb.jpg

A graceful 4-4-0 that I never had the pleasure of seeing, but couldn't resist.

post-6950-0-55953400-1422635531_thumb.jpg

A1 60139. Sea Eagle. Built by Graham and now available from Bachmann...

post-6950-0-47631400-1422635532_thumb.jpg

Just looking at these loco's has reminded me of the simple pleasures of life. No school on Saturday. A wonderful trip in some Quad Arts behind an N2 or L1 to KX. All day spent in London, predominantly Platform 10 at KX, but excusions to St Pancras, Paddington, Liverpool St and occasionally Victoria and Waterloo. A rucksack full of food and a Jubbly. My notebook and ABC combined volume. The sun always shone and who knew what would pop out of Gasworks Tunnel next...

Fond memories...

Edit: Just seen your post Hal. Dinner is on the table, so I'll get back to you later.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 13

OK, dinner has been supped and enjoyed, so back to the weathering question.  Broadly, I agree with you Hal.  Gresley's finest always look good when they have been worked but not not filthy.  My memories were of Top Shed's well turned out A1/2/3/4's and not the last years of steam which saw filthy loco's from Gateshead and other sheds.

9F's and mixed traffic/freight locos scream out to be filthy, which is why mine will all look like this.

post-6950-0-26206400-1422646440_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-99271400-1422646441_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-31047500-1422646468_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-24393600-1422646467_thumb.jpg

Here's some notes from a few years back on weathering the 9F.  It was one of my first and I was pleased how it turned out with just a few weathering powders and blackboard paint….

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18339-eastwood-town-9f-gets-weatheredstage-3/

• Like 18

OK, dinner has been supped and enjoyed, so back to the weathering question.  Broadly, I agree with you Hal.  Gresley's finest always look good when they have been worked but not not filthy.  My memories were of Top Shed's well turned out A1/2/3/4's and not the last years of steam which saw filthy loco's from Gateshead and other sheds.

9F's and mixed traffic/freight locos scream out to be filthy, which is why mine will all look like this.

attachicon.gifIMG_7758-1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7747.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8017-1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8758-2.jpg

Here's some notes from a few years back on weathering the 9F.  It was one of my first and I was pleased how it turned out with just a few weathering powders and blackboard paint….

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18339-eastwood-town-9f-gets-weatheredstage-3/

Thanks very much, Gordon,

Your experience and outlook will serve as a very useful guide for me. I particularly liked the way the Clan and the Brit are weathered. Although hardly applicable in my part of the world - Brits were very rare north of York - one reason my layout is Fantasy ECML is because I can stretch the rules a bit, and I'm very fond of the Hornby examples; I have *three. Given their complexity of detail - and how awkward the older ones are regarding removal of the chassis - I've been nervous of weathering them. Now, at least, I have examples to aim for.

Thanks, too, for the 9F link. I'm not flattering when I say I've never seen as thorough a guidance before. Many weathering people just show completed examples with a small amount of practical instruction, and that's it. Yours is absolutely complete.

*Oh, and one of my Brits - which I did buy comparatively cheaply - is the black prototype Brit. I'm considering lining mine. I think the locos might have been better received if their mixed-traffic role had been more underlined - if they were painted like V2s with green ones being the more rare examples. Anyway, in my fantasy, it'll be nice to see how it looks as lined black. Mind, it's way down my to-do list, unfortunately! 

Thanks again, Gordon. Dare I say that I, too, am looking forward to the first runners. ;)

Hal

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

15.7. About time! Some of us can only manage 16.0.

Good progress matey. If you did your timber work like mine none of the ends of the risers would be square and you would get used to just planing everything once the boards are together. I have no doubt you'll sort out that little niggle and all will be well.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Gordon

Good to see the engineering works are continuing.

Are we still on for the Easter Special? I haven't received my ticket yet, so I don't know if I'm on the Easter Friday or Bank Holiday Monday special, or where I'm going for that matter but as long as its nice weather and theres a pub I'll be happy .... just make sure the trains running.

With regard to the bed, a foot! you got a whole foot! I used to get the piping material that edged the mattress. Also, from my experience, and having heard knowledgable people, much older than me speak on the matter -  bigger is better, keep your distance, you know what they say "Life .... sexually transmitted and invariably fatal".

All the best

Ian

Apologies, it's another language.  

On our course a scratch golfer would go round in 70 shots in total.  35 for the front nine and 35 for the back nine.  With a handicap of 15.7, I would be expected to go round in 70+16=86.  With me so far?

I managed to play the front nine in 37 shots.  With my handicap of 16, I would have got 8 shots, so should have taken 35+8=43.  Going round in 37 was the equivalent of a scratch golfer having six birdies on the first nine holes, so pretty special.  

Needless to say the opposition in our match were very appreciative of my score as they were five down after seven holes….. :wild:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

On our course a scratch golfer would go round in 70 shots in total.  35 for the front nine and 35 for the back nine.  With a handicap of 15.7, I would be expected to go round in 70+16=86.  With me so far? I managed to play the front nine in 37 shots.  With my handicap of 16, I would have got 8 shots, so should have taken 35+8=43.  Going round in 37 was the equivalent of a scratch golfer having six birdies on the first nine holes, so pretty special.

So just to clarify that -- castling consists of moving the king two squares towards a rook on the player's first rank, then moving the rook to the square over which the king crossed. Castling can only be done if the king has never moved, the rook involved has never moved, the squares between the king and the rook involved are unoccupied, the king is not in check, and the king does not cross over or end on a square in which it would be in check.

Where does the wicket-keeper stand?

Martin.

• Like 4

I went for a round with friends on the Eden Course at St Andrews when I was at uni. It was my first ever round on a "proper" (full-length) golf course. I was in three figures by the end of the 12th. My lost balls (gorse bushes) were approaching double figures. It was suggested after the 15th that I maybe just walk the last three holes...