RMweb

Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Gold

I should be so lucky.  Hypogammaglobulinemia.  As an answer, it's right up there with Chinese Crested Powder Puff's.....You what?.....  :biggrin_mini2:

Had it since the 1980's, but an infusion every two weeks enables me to live a full and healthy life.

A massive thank you to the NHS.....

Oh Dear, my comiserations.

As a regular donor there is every chance you have a bit of me in you now.  :yes:

You'll be alright until you feel the urge to install 53 Tortoise motors  :help:

Many thanks for that, Dave.... :friends:

It's coming up for 30 years now and I have to admit when I was first told, I thought it would be a huge problem, but compared to others, it's no big deal at all.  Twenty years ago, we were trained to do intravenous treatments at home, so every couple of weeks my wife sticks a needle in my arm.  I've learned not to get into an argument when it's due..... :no:

Doing it at home is so much better, as originally I had to go into hospital for the day every two weeks.

She's great and just gets on with it.  I normally do it on a Sunday to tie in with sport on the TV, so just put my feet up for a couple of hours.

A doctor once told me that each treatment costs around £1,500, so that's the best part of £40,000 a year.....and it's 28 years now.  :O

As I said, God Bless the NHS....

• RMweb Gold

£40k a year. . . . Blimey all I get is a tea and a biscuit. .  :sarcastic:

Next time I'm taking a bag of crisps too. . . if they'll let me.

Without being too nosey I'm guessing you get a blood product rather than a whole unit. I'm O neg so a universal donor, they always want people like me for whole units as in an emergency mine can be given to anyone without type matching.

Yes, it is a blood product derived from plasma, but is totally clear.  I have no problem talking about it as others may suffer the same problem and may feel alone or have no one to talk to about what life holds in store.  I've been infusing for so long now, I don't give it a second thought.

You're right though, you should get two biscuits at least....

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I recall turning up years ago to give the specified armful. I mentioned that I was allergic to penicillin and was immediately shown the door. No tea or biscuits.

Nowadays I have to be careful because of the residual antibiotics often found in meat. Chicken in particular often makes me ill, and I don't eat turkey at Christmas. I mentioned this to the doc, and asked him whether cooking ought to destroy any penicillin in it. His highly technical reply was "Search me, but I've got an idea -- don't eat chicken."

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Of course all of this means I'm probably blood related to most of you on here..... :O

New years dinner at yours then! Bags a good chair don't want that chair no one ever uses until there's no other available.

Oh sorry personally

I think the letter "I" is overrated

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold

O neg here, heading towards 60 armfuls. While have a bit of laugh on here, the blood service folk say that of the people who could donate only 5% do. Used to be called twice a year when I first started donating, now it's three times. So how about it RM Webbers for the New Year and help more folk like Gordon? All the best everybody.

• RMweb Gold

I agree the blood donation service is in need of donors, I used to donate but had a transfusion following on operation right around the time of CJD, now they can't guarantee I'm free of prions so won't accept my blood!

All the best Gordon, really hope this version of ET hits the spot for you and we get the vicarious pleasure of seeing trains move - and prove 00-SF works too... ;)

• RMweb Gold

So if I understand all of this given I am still trying to get my head round how to pronounce the thing

You have something that makes you feel a bit cack.

There is a magic potion to help you along

Your wife gets to stab you every couple of weeks

And for that you get to watch an afternoon of sport.

All supported by the NHS which rocks.

Leads me to ask one simple question. Did this thing start before or after your addiction to cutting up wood and dreaming about inclines?

How's the golf by the way? I've finally started playing again but the course is soggy as anything.

My love of trains started in the 50's with my Trix Twin 0-4-0 on 16vAC and bakelite track.  I did try to build a bedroom layout in Triang TT when I was 14, but then scooters/cars and girls came along so no more railway action until the mid 2000's as I started to look forward to retirement.  I was found to have CVID in 1988 and is probably a development of ulcerative colitus which I've had since '62.

Haven't played golf for a couple of weeks as we've had family all here over Christmas.  First game will probably be on the 4th Jan and then it's regular play for the rest of the year.  I'm currently stuck on 16, but determined to get down to 12 by the end of 2016....

The magic potion is great and touch wood, the number of infections I have each year is minimal.  One or two if I'm unlucky, so it definitely works.  Anyone who didn't know me would never know what goes on behind the scenes.....

The good news is that I cut up some more paper templates this afternoon in a spare hour, so ET will progress as planned.  Just taken delivery of a Hornby J50, so it will work.....

• Like 6