RMweb

Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys. Your views are really helpful and certainly give me food for thought. Thankfully retirement has given me time to beaver away on these complex plans. I've avoided anything running diagonally across the room on two counts. Since my back surgery, I still have slightly limited flexibility and bending and ducking under boards is not ideal. A lifting section would overcome that, but you are still left with the corner radii where the diagonal joins the main line. Think of an 18' square and try drawing a six foot diameter circle in one corner and an eight foot diameter in the other as you are going from the inner radius on one side to the outer on the other. Then allow clearance for the reduced height roof line and suddenly it becomes more problematical. Not impossible I know and I will take a look at it again as it does solve many issues. The last main ET plan used a circle in just one corner as a reversing loop.

The last couple of days have been spent working on this new design. Still very much in it's infacy, it does have some promise. One of the ideas from #6, was to move the storage roads over the stairs. There were some issues to overcome with the access pointwork, but I have managed to crack that at last. This now throws up scenic work on three sides and overcomes the deep board issues. I'm going to spend some more time on this one and will then think about the diagonal idea, if this runs into serious problems.

I've reduced the length of platform to five feet and am looking at an overbridge or similar to disguise the shorter platfom. Long trains then of 8-10 coaches can then be accommodated with the excess held in the storage roads as suggested by #6. Rather than a steep ramp to access the station, this could be achieved by the station approach road passing under the overbridge.

As I said there is still a considerable amount of work to be done, but first thoughts are encouraging.

post-6950-0-95664900-1320301497_thumb.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It seems to me the elephant in the room is the buildings, nice as they are.

Try, difficult I know, to forget the buildings and design the layout to some different parameters, such as what you really want to see.

I think you're having doubts about every stage of the layout and it could get a bit problematical.

Well, afer days of plotting, I think I have arrived at something workable. I still have a lot of detail work to do, but the basics are there. The storage sidings are situated over the stairs/bullustrade and they will take a fair chunk of my stock. I will reduce the main platforms to around 5' in length, with the rest off screen, in the storage yard.

The shed area has been further refined and drawn as a mirror image. This has improved access considerably and done away with deep boards.

I have weakened though and pencilled in a good yard that will sit over the storage roads with 150mm clearance. This will allow Tortoise motors to be fitted in the yard without fouling the lower tracks. Access to the yard will be via a 24' length loop, which will create a 1:105 gradient with large radius curves. The whole outer loops are already raised 70mm, so that simplifies matters considerably. This should be fine for long freights. The shape of the stair well will mean access to the yard is not an issue.

It is likely I will round off the corners of the baseboards to provide open wells for access.

The beauty of this plan is that it can be built in stages. All the basic loops can go in first which will allow me to run trains quite quickly. Famous last words...

The good yard can then be built off site and then lifted into position and then the final stage will be to build the shed area.

Overall, taking the goods yard over the storage area has decluttered the basic loops and will allow much more scenic work.

Thanks for all your input guys. It has helped me considerably to deal with the real issues and kept me going.

All I have to do now is build the bloomin' thing. If there is a glaring error or you have some minor tweaks, feel free to comment. Unless I've made some huge error, I'm getting pretty close to running with it. It will allow me to run trains, yet still allow operational interest.

post-6950-0-83872500-1320326674_thumb.png

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3

Well, afer days of plotting, I think I have arrived at something workable. I still have a lot of detail work to do, but the basics are there. The storage sidings are situated over the stairs/bullustrade and they will take a fair chunk of my stock. I will reduce the main platforms to around 5' in length, with the rest off screen, in the storage yard.

The shed area has been further refined and drawn as a mirror image. This has improved access considerably and done away with deep boards.

I have weakened though and pencilled in a good yard that will sit over the storage roads with 150mm clearance. This will allow Tortoise motors to be fitted in the yard without fouling the lower tracks. Access to the yard will be via a 24' length loop, which will create a 1:105 gradient with large radius curves. The whole outer loops are already raised 70mm, so that simplifies matters considerably. This should be fine for long freights. The shape of the stair well will mean access to the yard is not an issue.

It is likely I will round off the corners of the baseboards to provide open wells for access.

The beauty of this plan is that it can be built in stages. All the basic loops can go in first which will allow me to run trains quite quickly. Famous last words...

The good yard can then be built off site and then lifted into position and then the final stage will be to build the shed area.

Overall, taking the goods yard over the storage area has decluttered the basic loops and will allow much more scenic work.

Thanks for all your input guys. It has helped me considerably to deal with the real issues and kept me going.

All I have to do now is build the bloomin' thing. If there is a glaring error or you have some minor tweaks, feel free to comment. Unless I've made some huge error, I'm getting pretty close to running with it. It will allow me to run trains, yet still allow operational interest.

post-6950-0-83872500-1320326674_thumb.png

Go for it Gordon, get some trains running! I do like the idea of having seperate lines and storage like that for different types of train, makes logical sense to me.

One issue i can see from the plan is that if you have engines dropping of trains in the goods yard, how then will that engine get itself to the shed? or will there be more smaller engine facilities with the yard too?

SG

I like it! It feels a lot like your original terminus idea and with the different levels has a lot of the flavour of the best bits you already tackled. I thought having the loops over the stairs put them into the more difficult parts of the room to have a scenic section. You'll also be greeted with an wonderful 180 degree sweep of railway as you get to the top of them. I especially like the working in stages idea - get something running soon - I think this is one of the best ways to work so you can have something running to keep the energy up during the long slogs - not that there will be any from now...

Thanks, Peter. I'm always up for a challenge and your sketch certainly was!

One of the things that has caught me out many times is that scribbled plans often turn out to be impossible to build once you bring in your own personal standards on miniumum radii. In this particular case, once I started to lay it out, I found I couldn't at first fit it in and still maintain my preferences. Of course that racked up the ante and after a complete redesign of the shed area, it did go in. Even so, at first sight it looks a million miles from the original sketch.

It certainly brings an improvment to the operational level, but will test my skills in trackbuilding with four new single slips...

I think I'm up for it, so thanks for taking the time to suggest the new station approach.

post-6950-0-72131700-1320397854_thumb.png

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon

I'd just like to throw a spanner in the works :rolleyes: , I have been giving this some thought over the last few days but I have not had the time to send this until now, I have come up with the following idea, why not use the left hand end of the station building as the scenic break this means that your visible platforms are shorter and the curves on that end can be down to your minimum radius, another benefit is that you will already have six fiddle yard roads from which to split off the rest. All this means that you would have more room at the right hand end for a more prototypical station approach. A bit outside the box I know!

Cheers SS

Hello Gordon,

It was only a hurried sketch - hence using one of my daughter's pink felt pens which happened to be at hand. Yes, often hurried sketches don't work in reality, but they mght be a seed of something there.

I'm assuming your layout recreates part of the southern end of the ECML, hence pairing the tracks by direction. I feel this is very important as it was/is such a distinctive feature of the GN (and indeed the NE).

Having the rear tracks as another company, perhaps at a slightly raised level, echos features of Sandy in Bedfordshire, where it crossed the ECML.

Regards,

Peter

:) I think I have finally got there! Here's the general schematic with the buildings just roughly in place. I'm not sure if I have misunderstood you SS, but I have already shortened the platforms and moved the building back with an overbridge acting as the scenic break. Perhaps you would like to sketch out what you mean? I've taken the Waverley West idea with the platforms hidden in the yard as it were. I think that provides the best solution and throws up a lot of space.

I grew up with the southern end of the ECML, Peter, so paired running is ideal. As I said earlier, I have copied your station approach although you will have to take my word all the single slips are there, but don't show that well in the drawing.

I've deliberately left the top board open at this stage. It could be a large goods yard, a branch terminus or even a scaled down version of the original ET plan. The key here will be to provide lift out sections in case stock is derailed underneath. All the pointwork will definitely be accessible as experience has shown, if something is going to fail, it will be the most inaccessible tie bar or point blade.

Apologies for using the 'journey' word, but it really has been an enjoyable few days. We've gone from a basic roundy roundy to something that meets my requirements and definitely has an LNER feel about it. I love the idea of building the whole thing in stages as that will keep me motivated and you may still see a train run soon.

All I have to do now is build it. I can't wait to get started... :)

post-6950-0-02147000-1320415938_thumb.png

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
:) I think I have finally got there! Here's the general schematic with the buildings just roughly in place. I'm not sure if I have misunderstood you SS, but I have already shortened the platforms and moved the building back with an overbridge acting as the scenic break. Perhaps you would like to sketch out what you mean? I've taken the Waverley West idea with the platforms hidden in the yard as it were. I think that provides the best solution and throws up a lot of space. I grew up with the southern end of the ECML, Peter, so paired running is ideal. As I said earlier, I have copied your station approach although you will have to take my word all the single slips are there, but don't show that well in the drawing. I've deliberately left the top board open at this stage. It could be a large goods yard, a branch terminus or even a scaled down version of the original ET plan. The key here will be to provide lift out sections in case stock is derailed underneath. All the pointwork will definitely be accessible as experience has shown, if something is going to fail, it will be the most inaccessible tie bar or point blade. Apologies for using the 'journey' word, but it really has been an enjoyable few days. We've gone from a basic roundy roundy to something that meets my requirements and definitely has an LNER feel about it. I love the idea of building the whole thing in stages as that will keep me motivated and you may still see a train run soon. All I have to do now is build it. I can't wait to get started... :) post-6950-0-02147000-1320415938_thumb.png

Hi Gordon

Yeah, pretty much along the ideas of your latest post. Being a GW man the detail will probably differ but the basic idea is the same.

Cheers SS

• RMweb Premium

Gordon it's fascinating to follow your thoughts as you progress through to the most workable solutions for your magnum opus - what we're seeing now appears quite different to what we were seeing pre-surgery and in the magazines - but what we're seeing is different, not worse, and I think that all we should say is go for it based on what you can now cope with following the massive changes in your circumstances. You're not alone in changing your plans, several of the main contributors here (Ben Alder for one) have gone back to the drawing board, though in some cases for aesthetic reasons or because "it doesn't work any longer" - good reasons, but your reasons are just a little more pressing.

All we can ask is that once you get some work started, please let us have lots and lots and lots of "how I did it" piccys.

Regards

Stewart

Gordon your not alone in a change of circumstance and a re-design of a layout to suit. Having had my knee nearly destroyed in a rugby accident, our previous layout would have been inoperable due to having a "duck under". I have just spent building a new layout with a slide out section to ease access.

It is good to see the ideas flowing. This is one of my favorite layouts to see the progress and sheer size of it all.

The last few days have seen all traces of ET removed and relocated to either the log store or Bracknell dump. Must admit I did get some strange looks unloading it from the car. There's something about railway modellers.... ;)

I had to clear the room, as getting decent measurements was virtually impossible with the remnants of ET2 in the way. My one concern about the new plan was roof clearance for a decent backdrop of buildings etc. One of the good things is that my room is painted in a very neutral colour and once buildings are up, they form their own backscene and the slope of the roof disappears.

We all have to start somewhere so had put together a very rough mock up showing the adjacent housing then a road and over the fence will be the three goods loops. These will sit 70mm above the main station that serves ET and I'll seperate those with some retaining walls, similar to those used on the original ET.

A real plus was finding that allowing for clearance over the banisters, there is still room to fit buildings at at the lowest point as I have gained 6" over the original calculations. Higher buildings can be located out towards the sides where the track will curve away and provide more clearance.

I have to say the clearance issue has been my one real concern and I'm both pleased and relieved it will fit as per the plan.

post-6950-0-60352400-1320680790_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-55091300-1320680801_thumb.jpg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 4

Spent all day, building the mock up and had to make a couple of tweaks to the plan to correct an oversight on my part. Completely missed the back platform road, so that has been dropped in place and the platforms widths set. The other thing I want to now add is a engine spur that will dissect the end of the widest platform.

This whole process may all seem arse about face, but the last few years have seen so many afterthoughts on my behalf, I've realised that there is so much more to planning a layout than just laying out some track. I'm hoping to start building tomorrow as I now feel fairly comfortable that most eventualities have been covered.

Famous last words.... ;)

The boards are 4' deep at this point, but the furthest piece of track is just 3' away from the front edge. I'm trying to make things on a modular basis, so that each part will just drop in with static grass and low walls hiding the join. This will allow detail work to be carried out on roads and buildings etc away from the layout with the finished module then dropped into place. Is this possible or are there better methods?

This is one area where I really would appreciate some input. The rear of the layout is under the eaves and can't be worked on in situ, so it has to be removable, but the last thing I want to see is gaps under buildings etc, so it must be possible to do this as a whole section with the buildings fixed in place.

Any ideas?

post-6950-0-91470800-1320775642_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-77606900-1320775632_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
This is one area where I really would appreciate some input. The rear of the layout is under the eaves and can't be worked on in situ, so it has to be removable, but the last thing I want to see is gaps under buildings etc, so it must be possible to do this as a whole section with the buildings fixed in place.

Any ideas?

Hi Gordon,

Gluing Lego bricks to things is a good way to clip them in place firmly enough to stay put, but still have them easily removable, and without needing any tools. You could clip down individual buildings that way, or maybe small scenic panels.

To avoid gaps under buildings, you can sprinkle a bit of loose ground cover around them each time you replace them. You are not going to remove them very often once the scenics are finished and painted.

regards,

Martin.

• Like 2

Insertable modules are the way to go. Build as much as possible in the comfort of your work bench and then add to the layout. This is the way I am working on my layout so that I can reach all four sides and inside and underneath etc while I build and add lights and details. Once the building is glued down onto its base then it is blended into the scenery and it is done!