Shawplan Laserglaze for Lima Mark 2 E/F

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Earlier this evening i did a quick try on just one Mk2F window, then discovered that the Lima window has to be filed, so more time and careful effort is required.

The Laserglaze insert should just be a push fit (albeit a tight one). I certainly didn't have to do any filing to get them to go in, just a little scraping away of paint on one end for the tiny corridor connector end door windows only.

• RMweb Premium

Lima's moulding tended to be a bit varied and wayward from time to time so occasionally a bit of filing back in the days of old flushglaze was required.

I have looked at Shawplan's blog page and seemingly out of date website but cannot find a list anywhere of exactly what Lazerglaze products are available/planned. Are there any for Lima/Hornby Mk 3 sleepers by any chance?

From post No. 11:

"Sorry about the lack of a list, got to find time to do one Primarily air con stock at the moment. From memory; Airfix/Mainline/Hornby... Mk2D BSO & TSO & FO. Lima Mk2E/F...FO/TSO. Lima Mk1... CCT & GUV. Lima Mk3... TGS. Lima Mk3... TSO/FO. Lima Mk3... Buffet. Joueff Mk3... Buffet. Lima Mk3 sleeper. More info on the blog than the website."

From post No. 8:

"In the fullness of time the range of coaches covered will be greatly expanded. Currently under development are Bulleid, GWR B sets, autocoaches, GWR railcar, LMS period 3 and the Hornby mag stove r, and that's only the ones I can remember "

Hope this helps?

Cheers, 26power

Lima's moulding tended to be a bit varied and wayward from time to time so occasionally a bit of filing back in the days of old flushglaze was required.

I have looked at Shawplan's blog page and seemingly out of date website but cannot find a list anywhere of exactly what Lazerglaze products are available/planned. Are there any for Lima/Hornby Mk 3 sleepers by any chance?

• RMweb Gold

then discovered that the Lima window has to be filed, so more time and careful effort is required. Presumably even more plastic has to be removed when using the packs designed for the Airfix Mk2Ds ?

"Theoretically" the windows shouldn't need any filing, but as manufacturers can't get window openings all the same size on one coach, let alone across a production run done over a few years, then we have to try to allow for these discrepancies with the size of the glazing unit produced.

The glazing is test fitted to the sample bodyshells which we have to ensure they fit with the minimum of effort.

Every glazing unit is cut to the same size obviously, so anomalies can and will occur, we apologise on the manufacturers behalf.

Sometimes a glazing unit fits better if turned through 180 degrees.

Another way to amend the size of the glazing is to lightly rub it on a piece of very fine emery cloth.

The Airfix Mk2D's have a number of different sized clear windows in them, depending on type, to allow for odd sized openings, hence the reason there is a seperate pack for the FO, TSO and BSO.

Lima Mk2 coach windows have a tapered window recess, theorectically to make mould release easier. The same applies to Bachmann's Bulleid and Thompson coaches, which is why they hesitated in upgrading said coaches with their own plug-in-from-the-back windows (to quote the Big Chief/Numero Uno). I've only tested the one main window (Shawplan/Lima air-con) so far, it got tight about half to two-thirds of the way in and knowing from bitter experience, how brittle some Lima plastic can be, decided not to push my luck. I tried it backwards, forwards, upside down (as you do :D ), with only a slight difference and the other Shawplan windows were a consistent size. I'm not criticising the product, i'm just saying beware of the danger of the Lima plastic splitting.

On the Airfix Mk2Ds, they've always suffered from the "outside window ledge", but this can be used to advantage, if cutting your own thin glazing (as per my pic above). How does this "ledge" disappear with the Shawplan/Airfix type, if no filing is necessary ? Is there a lip surrounding the new windows ? If filing is involved, it will need to be full depth, to remove "the ledge". Anyone tried the Airfix type yet ?

I'm a bit concerned about the "No Smoking" sticker issue as well, as on the inside it will be so far back. :blink:

Cheers, Brian.

• RMweb Gold

How does this "ledge" disappear with the Shawplan/Airfix type, if no filing is necessary ? Is there a lip surrounding the new windows ?

Thanks for your input Brian.

The "ledge" doesn't disappear when the new windows are fitted, as, due to the laser process, a rebate can not be put on the reverse side of the glazing unit, (or at least not without a lot of extra work involving jigs and re alignment), although at normal viewing distance it is not noticeable.

The Airfix window openings are the wrong size anyway, in order to overcome this and the gap problem, a set of correct sized and detailed window frames are available, but this involves removing the Airfix frame, it can be done without having to repaint the coach, although with the corner radius being out and the ledge being present a degree of filling may be necessary to ensure a smooth finish, so localised touching up will be required, it just depends how far customers wish to go.

On the Airfix Mk2Ds, they've always suffered from the "outside window ledge", but this can be used to advantage, if cutting your own thin glazing (as per my pic above). How does this "ledge" disappear with the Shawplan/Airfix type, if no filing is necessary ? Is there a lip surrounding the new windows ? If filing is involved, it will need to be full depth, to remove "the ledge". Anyone tried the Airfix type yet ?

Cheers, Brian.

Shawplan also sell replacement etched window frames. The idea is you remove the plastic window frame flush with the body side and glue the etch stainless frame in place. I haven't done this yet, but I have spent the £20+ on the windows and frames.

Hornby mould Mk3 with glazing only.

bluerakecompleted.jpg

Instructions, glazing only:

Extreme Etchings glazing inserts are designed to be a push fit from the outside. Sounds like I've copied this from their blurb. I have.

Leave the front and back protective vinyl covers on the glazing inserts in place and swipe the glazing edges with a black permanent marker.

Push glazing insert into aperture, remove the front vinyl protector and push flush with the coach window frame with a non scratching material (although the glazing inserts are pretty scratch resistant. I use a thin strip of 80 thou plasticard.

Secure from the inside with either acrylic varnish or low odour superglue. Apply with a cocktail stick with the coach upright, NOT lying face down (risk of seepage).

Remove inside vinyl protectors.

Job done.

Note that it is now impossible to take the seats out so put them in before you secure the glazing in.

Here's a direct comparison. Just glazing replaced. Take the old lima/Hornby glazing out and push the EE glazing inserts in.

slepbeforeandafter.jpg

Bit of a no brainer really. Day and night.

Toilet window needs frosting up. Ignore the wrong roofs which are currently being corrected (only one vent and at the other end, the roof panel is at the end of the roof).

The coaches shown in the photo above are the old Lima models but modified. The intercity stripes were painted on by Tractor_37260. Hat off time. My BFK and Mk3 are dog's breakfast by comparison.

Will Hornby get the stripe widths and colours right?

Nice coaches there OMGM,

Your BFK does look very smart. Here's my humble BFK from many years back, using my cheapo tinted acetate, it works out at less than 15p per coach.

Air-ConditionedStock002-1.jpg

Here's an Airfix converted into a 2E using the same glazing technique, again the material cost pennies.

Air-ConditionedStock013.jpg

Here's how we used to do it with Flushglaze on a Lima brake.

Air-ConditionedStock011.jpg

I think we will all agree that the RTR Mk2 air-con bodies so far produced, have their quirks and idiosyncrasies. The Lima shell is slightly short, too deep in the belly and has a decidedly dodgy cantrail guttering. On quite a few of my Limas (but not all - yet), i've lengthened the bodies and sliced 1mm off the belly, plus i've fixed the roof to the body, with the interior and chassis dropping out. Overall, the Airfix shell is better, the main problem was always the windows.

Cheers, Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Hi chaps ,i cant believe how good those windows look in the lima mk2, can someone help me as to where i can buy several sets as i cant seem to buy them off the EE site or can i only buy them from shows etc.

regards

Paul.

I don't believe they are available to buy directly off an internet site. Best advice is to contact Shawplan via their website Shawplan. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Please add the Bachmann suburbans to the list! They are being re-released this summer.

Seconded, as they would also be useful for a major part of some of the AMx series of EMUs as well as BR suburbans.

Also, as mentioned above, the LMS BG would be very useful too !!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Only just caught up with this thread, and they are some very nice coaches OMGM, your BFK looks superb.

I have been thinking of getting some of these windows for my MK2s, has anyone put the no smoking and first class transfers on? I am a bit worried about the thickness of the glazing.

Cheers Peter.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

are these only available to purchase at shows?

I don't believe they are available to buy directly off an internet site. Best advice is to contact Shawplan via their website Shawplan. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Lima Mk3 with EE frames and glazing, should've dusted it before I took the photo. Handrail needs painting and stepwell needs weathering

12019dusty.jpg

Hi, could you let me know where you obtained the brake disc inserts? I've tried google search and a search of this site but end up with links to headcode disc etches or real life brake discs! Thanks....

How long the laser takes to cut them out dictates they are going to be a bit expensive.

I'm surprised you had to file anything, I know with the locos Brian had to do each as a custom fit for a particular aperture.

Hi,

I don't think it's to do with the time it takes to cut, We have a Laser cutter at school and that takes a couple of minutes to cut out stuff like this, I think it's to do with the fact that the laser has to be 'recharged' every 5 years and that costs around £1000.

It may nor may not be something to do with that.

Simon

• 3 years later...

Lima Mk3 with EE frames and glazing, should've dusted it before I took the photo. Handrail needs painting and stepwell needs weathering

12019dusty.jpg

Hornby mould Mk3 with glazing only.

bluerakecompleted.jpg

Instructions, glazing only:

Extreme Etchings glazing inserts are designed to be a push fit from the outside. Sounds like I've copied this from their blurb. I have.

Leave the front and back protective vinyl covers on the glazing inserts in place and swipe the glazing edges with a black permanent marker.

Push glazing insert into aperture, remove the front vinyl protector and push flush with the coach window frame with a non scratching material (although the glazing inserts are pretty scratch resistant. I use a thin strip of 80 thou plasticard.

Secure from the inside with either acrylic varnish or low odour superglue. Apply with a cocktail stick with the coach upright, NOT lying face down (risk of seepage).

Remove inside vinyl protectors.

Job done.

Note that it is now impossible to take the seats out so put them in before you secure the glazing in.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have any information on the conversion of these Mk3s to Mk3As? Where are the roof vents from, and how did the OP cover the scar from removing the original square vent?

Thanks 

Archived