GWR Star conversion

I have in my bits box an Airfix Castle and a Hornby Hall. Is it possible to make a resonable representation of a Star using the boiler from the Hall and the running plate and chassis from the castle. There was an article in Railway Modeller years ago and it seemed to look ok. Any thoughts and suggestions will be welcome.

cheers

Shane

• RMweb Premium

I have in my bits box an Airfix Castle and a Hornby Hall. Is it possible to make a resonable representation of a Star using the boiler from the Hall and the running plate and chassis from the castle. There was an article in Railway Modeller years ago and it seemed to look ok. Any thoughts and suggestions will be welcome.

cheers

Shane

Surely the most obvious visual difference apart from the smaller boiler is the cab? The Hall and Castle have Collett's windowed cab whereas the Star has a smaller Churchward windowless cab, which requires a shorter chassis at the rear.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shane,

It's certainly possible - I made a similar conversion a couple of years ago, only I used a Hornby Saint boiler. Presuming the Hall has all the same inaccuracies as the Saint, I think you may find you need to make quite a few alterations to make it look acceptable. Depending on how far you want to go, these might include shortening the smokebox, lengthening and reshaping the firebox, and repositioning fittings such as the safety valve cover and top feed.

Here's the thread on my build: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48323

And here's the original article that inspired me to do it: http://www.gwr.org.uk/prostar.html

Hope this helps, and if you go ahead let us know how you get on. Good luck!

Mike

Agree with Keith. It would be less trouble if you started with a Hornby Saint, which had the Hall boiler with a Churchward cab. There's also the fact that the Hornby GWR 4-6-0's had an incorrect wheel spacing, 7'3"+7'3", whereas I believe the Airfix Castle has the correct 7'0"+7'9".

But it would be a neat project, and I plan do do one myself one day, but using a reject Dublo Castle chassis, which has the same incorrect wheelbase as the Hornby models.

Alternative is to look out for an M&L Star conversion kit comprising a white metal body designed specifically for the Airfix Castle. They do turn up on eBay.

If you are using the Airfix Castle body, it needs to have the early Castle inside cylinder chest as the later pattern did not appear on the Stars

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

If you are using the Airfix Castle body, it needs to have the early Castle inside cylinder chest as the later pattern did not appear on the Stars

Mike Wiltshire

You need to be careful which loco you choose as the earlier 'Stars' had a square, and very 'boxy' looking, cover over the inside cylinders.

You need to be careful which loco you choose as the earlier 'Stars' had a square, and very 'boxy' looking, cover over the inside cylinders.

They are a nightmare full stop. Which front end, which outside steam pipes or non at all, splasher beading or rivets, tall or short safety valve, numerous chimney types, worksplates or not, slidebar links or not, top feed or not... the list goes on?

Golden rule - find a photograph and stick to it.

And if anyone is thinking of buying a Horny Tintagel Castle and renaming it 4000 North Star as a castle rebuild.... North Star was always a unique locomotive, even as a castle. Tthe running plate was higher with smaller splashers compared to any other castle.

Besides I'm happy to place £10 at Ladbrokes on Hornby producing a star within a couple of years. The new castle chassis appears to have been designed to fit a body with a smaller cab if required. In these financially challenged times all that is needed is a new body investment for use withan existing chassis and tender combination.

Mike Wiltshire

Besides I'm happy to place £10 at Ladbrokes on Hornby producing a star within a couple of years. The new castle chassis appears to have been designed to fit a body with a smaller cab if required. In these financially challenged times all that is needed is a new body investment for use withan existing chassis and tender combination.

Probably just after I finish my Star conversion - using the boiler and cab from a junk white-metal Star body that I picked up at a swap meet and the running plate of an Airfix Castle, all sitting on a Comet chassis. Top feed, no splasher beading, no outside steam pipes, boxy inside cylinder casing - I'm thinking 'Knight of Liege' in the 1930s.

Adrian

Probably just after I finish my Star conversion - using the boiler and cab from a junk white-metal Star body that I picked up at a swap meet and the running plate of an Airfix Castle, all sitting on a Comet chassis. Top feed, no splasher beading, no outside steam pipes, boxy inside cylinder casing - I'm thinking 'Knight of Liege' in the 1930s.

Adrian

I think the hauling capacity will far outweigh a Hornby version and besides, YOU built it. I am looking at a Proscale kit that will be 4022 Belgian Monarch (my Grandad was known to have driven it many times). I feel a diversion from current projects coming on. Thanks for the kickstart

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

And if anyone is thinking of buying a Horny Tintagel castle and renamining it 4000 North Star as a castle rebuild.... North Star was always a unique locomotive, even as a castle. Tthe running plate was higher with smaller splashers compared to any other castle.

Mike Wiltshire

By the mid 1920s (if not before?) 4000 was a heartily disliked loco as the valvegear arrangement made oiling very difficult and it was the source of repeated complaints by footplate staff at Old Oak Common. At the time of the last official complaint the minuted response from the District Motive Power Supt was 'Mr Collett has advised that this locomotive has been withdrawn'wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Mike Wiltshire

I like your thinking Mike but I'd much prefer to see more variations on the Castles first preferably in GWR liveries.Then they can do the Star. ;)

• RMweb Premium

By the mid 1920s (if not before?) 4000 was a heartily disliked loco as the valvegear arrangement made oiling very difficult and it was the source of repeated complaints by footplate staff at Old Oak Common. At the time of the last official complaint the minuted response from the District Motive Power Supt was 'Mr Collett has advised that this locomotive has been withdrawn'wink.gif

Presumably because of the "Scissors" valve gear which it lost when becoming a Castle in 1929, receiving new frames but still retaining the 2 1/2" higher footplate.

The "GWR Stars, Castles & Kings" by O.S. Nock is a good read on the subject.

Keith

Archived