Menasha WI

Bagpuss

Thanks for the compliments gents. I'm pleased with the way the CM article turned out. We tried to be a little different and tell the story behind the layout as much as how it was built. The 2nd installment describes the operating plan and the stock along with a summary of WC's varied motive power.

We're back home in Wakefield this weekend, celebrating the 3rd anniversary of our debut on the exhibition circuit. Things have moved on considerably since then. I seem to remember replastering the inset track in Noffke Lumber the night before that show. The swing bridge was wedged in place with a track rubber to keep it in alignment.

Chris has managed to get hold of one of the latest Tsunamis so GP30 no 700 in faded SOO white should be playing the turbo 567 tune.

• RMweb Premium

Chris has managed to get hold of one of the latest Tsunamis so GP30 no 700 in faded SOO white should be playing the turbo 567 tune.

Being only a couple of layouts away I hope that I won't need to take my ear muffs.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jon. We've just about recovered from shows at Warley and Wakefield on successive weekends. Menasha even made a brief appearance on local radio at Wakefield - the presenter played guess the loco. He successfully managed to tell the difference between an S-4 and a GP30 by their sounds. Maybe we found a closet enthusiast?

One of my personal highlights was the little lad who asked if he could have a go. He couldn't have been older than 4 or 5 but, with a little tuition, he was soon operating as smoothly as most of our regular operators. I think he'd have been there all night if his Dad's arms could have held him up any longer.

As a tribute to the much-missed Yankee Railroader, who was instrumental in getting Menasha ready for its first appearance at Wakefield 3 years ago, a couple of his engines made a special appearance on the Saturday night at Wakefield. You can still get the Guilford onto Menasha Bill!

post-3560-0-06833300-1324250166_thumb.jpg

Next outing is Glasgow in a couple of months time. We've got a few repairs and little enhancements to get on with.

One of my personal highlights was the little lad who asked if he could have a go. He couldn't have been older than 4 or 5 but, with a little tuition, he was soon operating as smoothly as most of our regular operators. I think he'd have been there all night if his Dad's arms could have held him up any longer.

Fantastic story!! I know the debate about letting punters 'have a go' can polarise opinions, and, understandably, not every Exhibitor would do so, but I think you'll have made an enthusiast for life, there!! We shouldn't underestimate children's abilities - especially as they're growing up in a 'digital' age, technology like mobile phones, computers & TV remotes is second nature to them, so a DCC controller holds no fears for them - my lad (8) is picking up the nuances of the NCE Powercab quicker than me!!

• 2 months later...

Menasha is all packed up for the trip to Glasgow on Thursday. Just a bit of last minute stock tweaking to finish. We're looking forward to our second international show!

Please come and say hello so that we can put faces to names. Mike's particularly keen to talk to you Shortliner about your Harlem layout as he's plotting his own version.

How about another picture to whet the appetite courtesy of one of our junior members, Josh. It shows map unit 3026 heading back to Neenah yard with Y1863 from Menasha.

post-3560-0-17134600-1329865290.jpg

Yes - I am slavering with anticipation - Regretably the visit will be slightly shorter than usual, as the train I usually catch home has been removed from the schedule and the replacement leaves an hour earlier. I'll be delighted to speak to Mike (and anyone else!) - but the layout is (regretably) long gone Hope to see you to Phil

Jack

PS I still have 4 remotored boxcabs and the Alco S-1 that ran on the line - if they might be of use - let me know quickly because I'll need to dig

Thank you gents. One of the benefits of operating from the front is the opportunity to talk to people. As you may have noticed we can go on a little!

I like your photos Jack, particularly the one of 700 switching Noffke Lumber. I didn't steal the idea from you, honest, but I finally managed to get a half decent shot looking along the layout.

post-3560-0-06805500-1330475802_thumb.jpg

We thoroughly enjoyed the show although the long trip home is taking its toll this week. We should have recovered by our next outing which, with the cancellation of Rochdale show, is not until Pontefract next January. If anybody is looking for a layout for a show next autumn, we may be able to oblige.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

For a short time I managed to get out of my office at the show...

Pleased to say I like the layout as much in the flesh as in the photos.

Looked interesting to operate as well as look at!

Glad you enjoyed the show.

Thanks

Hi all,

For a short time I managed to get out of my office at the show...

Pleased to say I like the layout as much in the flesh as in the photos.

Looked interesting to operate as well as look at!

Glad you enjoyed the show.

Thanks

I was very taken with the sliding uncoupling magnets - seems a neat idea and operated very reliably all the time I was there.

Any chance of some pictures or drawings? A "how to" topic in US and Canadian would be very helpful? The turnout/switch levers worked very well too - again I suspect a lot of us would be interested in specifics.

Of course, the fact that the operating loops/handles were reminiscent of the end of real coupler cut bars also appealed.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't posted earlier boys, but I missed you here as I searched around in US/Can area!! Thanks for the 'blether'in Glasgow back in Feb and for those of you who were chatting Portugese with me, I can confirm that Andrew Donnelly and I are starting something in that vein as we speak! See posting from earlier today. Your layout is inspirational and I will admit that we have kind of cribbed the way your track enters and exits Menasha to make the CP (Portugal!!) project 'all scenic'

• 5 months later...

After a quiet Summer we are getting Menasha and stock ready for Tolworth Showtrain next weekend http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/event/694-tolworth-showtrain/

It's our first trip South with the layout and we're ready to answer any questions.

Hopefully I should have my Wisconsin Central SDL39 up and running....more on this next week!

Cheers,

Chris

Only a couple of days to go to Tolworth and at long last I have managed to complete my Wisconsin Central SDL39. It still needs to be tested on Menasha but hopefully it will pass the test. It is complete with a Tsunami so sounds the part too!

I suspect that it used it on the Banta job initially.

Cheers,

Chris

post-4019-0-92833400-1352328012_thumb.jpg

Thank you to the Hampton Court Model Railway Society for their hospitality at Tolworth Showtrain last weekend. Particular thanks to their chairman Andy Mitchell who took this high quality video of the layout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzCKwzKQwIk

This was our first trip down south but hopefully not our last. The next outing is rather closer to home - Pontefract on January 27th and 28th. As ever we've a few repairs and improvements to make so we'd better get busy.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived