Kingsbridge Branch N

devondynosoar118

I have been blogging the development of my first proper layout but there were some things which din't fit the format so I have set up this post for those little bits that seem to happen all the time.

I have a strong affinity for the line, having worked in the old station yard for a few years and regularly visiting the inside of the old goods shed. Having walked much of the old trackbed the scenic splendour of the line struck me and this was one of the main reasons I chose to model it. In researching the line I was amazed at the massive rise in traffic during the war which opened up a host of possibilities for a different approach to the GWR "BLT" including a better range of stock and some military modelling.

Here for the first time is the final (ish) plan. It will be a fully functioning branch line albeit a bit shortened. The scenic sections will be mostly interchangeable in order to keep the layout varied, only the curves are fixed. There are no corners in the back scenes and the station boards are wider to allow for a slight convex curve on the backs.

post-9516-0-01704600-1301519619_thumb.jpg

Track layout is as close to the prototype as I can get, with usual compression and editing, for example I removed all the catch points in the yard at Kingsbridge.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At one point I was considering doing something very similar to extend Avonwick, but I have now moved away from that idea to something larger. I shall look forward to seeing the progress.

I can't wait to see how this develops. As you might know my layout is based on imaginary line from the Torbay line over the Dart and then to kingsbridge via my station Wencombe.

Good liuck with the project and kep some pix and trackplan coming.

Just had a peek at your blog. It's looking good. N ceratinly enables the train in a landscape feel. Can I point you in the direction of an article about the kingsbridge branch in Steam Days mag July2009, that is if you have not already got it.

Anything like this?

Just thought I'd put a quick pic or two of the progress on the engine shed. There is a brass smoke channel, with chimneys and a roof pitch done, with just the chimney caps and the other roof pitch left to do.

With Engine for scale

post-9516-0-09967200-1301864822_thumb.jpg

The platform side

post-9516-0-30654900-1301864849_thumb.jpg

Am going to try and paint some track tomorrow!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Did you resolve your inset track issues?

I have restarted the track...but its lacking a bit of zing at present...I don't think I can move much forward with the layout until I have redone it though :blink:

I have to confess to chickening out modelling the wire supports for the chimney caps- Couldn't get them to work and they are human hair thin at this scale anyway.

post-9516-0-88659400-1301987659_thumb.jpg

Had you not considered using real hair from the wife/girlfriend :D as per David Rowe's bicycle spokes. Just fix them with a small dab of superglue, after removing them from said wife/girlfriend head first.:smile_mini: .

The layout is looking great.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

This is looking really great. I can't wait to see it in the flesh some day on the exhibition circuit. I have just been reading Mitchell and Smiths' Branch Line to Kingsbridge by Middleton Press to get further ideas about stock and the level of activity on the branch. Your layout will bring the book to life. It's a shame that it didn't quite make it into the preservation era, even though some did try hard for it. I even remember going to a meeting in the market hall in Kingsbridge during the late 80's to to talk about the history of the line and a possibility of reopening the full length or a short section of it.

Keep up the great work

Andy

Will look up that book in the library, thanks. There are lots of pictures on my blog which is here- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/574-kingsbridge-branch-n/

I was doing more on the yard tonight, with a view to completing the scenery next week. Then it's making the station building, which will need the services of an etcher for the doors and windows and a laser cutter for the speed of carcass making. Any suggestions?