Hornby April 2011 Releases

jonathan452

Friday 01.04.11 (April Fools Day).

Keeping my fingers crossed that the 'Pretendolino' - EWS Claass 90/Mk3b DVT Train Pack will finally make it's long overdue appearence this month.

If everybody can keep their eyes on the Hornby Website to see when the April releases news letter goes live.

Though I somehow doubt that it will be today as I believe they finish early on a Friday :angry: ..................................

Not worth losing sleep over, stuff comes when it comes!

N

ok

But before I spend my money on 'sweeties'.

And if the KFA's are being promised for May I was just hoping the 'Pretendolino' might finally make it in April.

Incidentally were the Castles which suddenly appeared in March (against all odds) air freighted?

R2955, the "Virgin Charter Relief Train Pack", which includes the Class EWS Class 90 and Virgin DVT is expected to arrive at Margate in early June [source: Hornby trade website].

From the same source, the 'KFA' wagons are fairly well staggered:

R6484: due 9th May

R6485: due 30th May

R6486: due 25th July

As an aside: the main batches of 'OTA' timber carriers are due throughout May after we had a partial delivery of the 1st two models at the end of March.

These dates are not set in stone, and may change. But they are the best information we have at present.

R2955, the "Virgin Charter Relief Train Pack", which includes the Class EWS Class 90 and Virgin DVT is expected to arrive at Margate in early June [source: Hornby trade website].

From the same source, the 'KFA' wagons are fairly well staggered:

R6484: due 9th May

R6485: due 30th May

R6486: due 25th July

As an aside: the main batches of 'OTA' timber carriers are due throughout May after we had a partial delivery of the 1st two models at the end of March.

These dates are not set in stone, and may change. But they are the best information we have at present.

Thankyou for the update.

Maybe the 'Pretendolino' will be a present to myself at the 2011 Chatham Historic Dockyard Exhibition.

Does anyone have any idea when the Modelzone-exclusive East Coast HST power cars and carriages might appear? They were due last September, then were announced as delayed until January. The Modelzone website still says 'Available Soon: January 11' but no sign of them yet, and the nearest Modelzone to here couldn't give any indication of when they might arrive - I enquired last week.

I guess Hornby is really trying hard to make sure they accurately communicate their new releases for April - by posting the new releases bulletin once the models are already out.

The March new releases were posted on March 8 and they didn't include either Silver Link or Tintagel Castle which were availalble in March. Not that there's really any rush, but given that the business day for April 8 is already over, I guess the earliest we can expect the bulletin for April is the 11th.

Perhaps the marketing staff is just short handed or busy with other things. The new releases bulletin is merely a 'nice to do' for their customers anyway, but from an observer's viewpoint it's starting to feel like things are reaching a stage where opening a container from China in Margate is a bit like Christmas and they don't know what they are going to get.

I'm sure this can't (and certainly shouldn't) be the case.

Am I the only one who finds this thread title misleading, inaccurate and irritating? At the very least it should contain the words "wishlist" or "froth". It is NOT what the title says at all!

Just to recap the 'Pretendolino' - R2955 "Virgin Charter Relief Train Pack", which includes the Class EWS Class 90 and Virgin DVT was originally meant to be a Third Quarter 2010 release.

As part of the Hornby 2011 Announcement it was then promised for February of this year.

It is now April.

87029 has kindly advised that June is more likely to be the delivery date.

I wouldn't be so fussed had I already not bought the accompanying coaches, maybe in retropsect I wished I hadn't bought these and spent the money on something else (not model railway related).

Therefore this is not a wish list but a delayed (2010) item.

• RMweb Gold

According to the Hornby website adminstrator the newsletter is 'on hold for the time being' pending 'big things happening to the website'.

This seems quite consistent with a marketing revamp.

Those words 'marketing revamp' always have a rather sinister ring to me - implications of 'we're in a hole and don't know when to stop digging' or 'we've got our pricing wrong but will blame the lack of orders on something else - such as the marketing dept'. Interesting that the change comes so soon after what should have been the big order taking session of the new marketing year and when some retailers were giving Hornby a lot of stick. But maybe it's just a web revamp thing and nothing else?

Does anyone have any idea when the Modelzone-exclusive East Coast HST power cars and carriages might appear? They were due last September, then were announced as delayed until January. The Modelzone website still says 'Available Soon: January 11' but no sign of them yet, and the nearest Modelzone to here couldn't give any indication of when they might arrive - I enquired last week.

On the http://www.rmweb.co....st/page__st__25 thread the below-:

Hi guys,

The ModelZone East Coast HST is now in stock in most stores and available online. I've taken some close up pics and added a 360 degree view for the 2 car pack (Power/Dummy car). Actual pics of the coaches and buffet car to follow.

http://www.modelzone...t-hst-pack.html

Regards,

Steve

The default message mentions a facelift. Nothing necessarily sinister in that?

Nothing sinister at all.

While I wouldn't have said they needed a new website as their first order of business, there are doubtless things they could improve.

Normally I don't comment on on opinions expressed about Hornby's, or any other model railway manufacturers, business because I don't really see what it has to do with modelling, but I'm pretty certain that this news item about the fall in retail sales will be concentrating minds in every consumer goods manufacturer.

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Just had this email from Hornby regarding their website:

Hi James

We are very excited to announce that we are re-launching the www.Hornby.com website on Wednesday 13th April.

When you first visit the new site you will find that your password has been changed - you will be able to log in to the site using your email address and your new password.

Your new password is ********

Once you have logged in to the new site you will have the opportunity of changing your password in "My Account".

We look forward to welcoming you to the new Hornby site.

Kind regards,

www.Hornby.com

• RMweb Gold

HI all

Maybe the are having a rethink on the price's of their range,if not i do not see many folks rushing out to buy themblink.gif

Interestingly when I click on my own regular link to the Hornby site I got a slightly different message - exactly the same about the revamp but also a link (from a great big button) to the 'sale' section. Wherein lurked, as often, road vehicles and Scalelink but also some heavily reduced 'Thomas' items. What sort of 4-4-0 could 'Edward' be converted to I wonder?

As far as 'high street sales' are concerned I think the situation is very patchy and varies not only from place to place but also between the goods on offer. In model railway terms I have been told by retailers that they have not ordered some items in bulk from Hornby because of high recommended retail prices where Bachmann are offering something not much different but for a much lower RRP; and apparently Bachmann orders from retailers are 'healthy'. Seems like the differences of approach from these two this year might be indicative of the results they might achieve in a very difficult trading year. And despite what 'people', i.e. the media, say in some parts of the country there is plenty of real money about (as opposed to credit) - it's just the way it is being spent that seems to be changing.

Don't hold your breath, there have been a number of 'months' which have completely vanished from the Hornby calendar.

Not worth losing sleep over, stuff comes when it comes!

N

It looks as if you are right for this month.

Now uploaded on the new Website - http://www.Hornby.com/_assets/files/Newsletter-Issue-32---April-2011.pdf = SWEET NOTHING!:( :( :(

Archived