66 Farish or Dapol

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian / Jo

Had a quick look on the link and the 66 info isn't showing anything...will drop Bernard a line and see what's in the kit.

Body on its way frim BR lines and Hattons picking list email received today so things are moving forward...

I may still opt for the Dapol body on the Farish chassis

Is that really possible?

I have a shed load of Class 66 locos, all the different body and chassis types

From memory the Farish Class 66 has the headlights in the chassis, whilst in the Dapol they are on the body, therefore swapping between manufacturers is not possible

Equally, it is not easy to swap between the Dapol DC and DCC versions, as the pickups between them are in different positions (the solution is to hardwire them)

From memory the Farish Class 66 has the headlights in the chassis, whilst in the Dapol they are on the body, therefore swapping between manufacturers is not possible

It is perfectly possible - I believe it's called modelling...

In the case of a Dapol body on a Farish chassis you'd simple trim the lights off the body and carefully make sure everything fitted and looked neat.

In the case of a Dapol body on a Farish chassis you'd simple trim the lights off the body and carefully make sure everything fitted and looked neat.

Surely then you will lose the lights (function)?

To restore the lights will require quite a lot of work

Surely it would be easier just to renumber the BachFar Class 66, which is quite easy

To restore the lights will require quite a lot of work

Surely it would be easier just to renumber the BachFar Class 66, which is quite easy

Yes, I'd think this aswell - is it really worth the effort to fit a Dapol shell to a Farish chassis, rather than just use the TPM detailing kit (plus some modelling :)) to superdetail the standard Farish model? Or would it be better to take details off the Dapol shell (eg the roof grille) and fit them to the Farish model?

Does anyone know specifically what bits the TPM kit includes?

Cheers,

Alan

People have said they prefer the Dapol body and want to put in on the better running Farish chassis.

If you're happy with the Farish body then no problem! But if you want to combine them it shouldn't be a problem. It's very similar to a lot of four mil' projects I've done.

• RMweb Gold

Surely then you will lose the lights (function)?

Why? The lights are on the Farish chassis so they just need to line up with the Dapol body holes (or use bits of fibre optic to pipe the lights to the correct place). There should be no need to lose the functions.

M

The TPM detailing set includes:

Etched mesh and inlay for the roof grill

Mirrors for EWS/DBS locos

Lampirons

Lower front panel with a hole for the coupling to poke through

Windscreen wipers

On mine I have only used the roof grill, lower front panel and mirrors. The mesh on the grill is lovely and fine, I must get around to finishing the model some day...

jo

HI All

I did two 66 with the TPM detailing kits and the difference it makes to the models is night and day, the only thing that puts me of doing more is they are fragile and the operators at shows can damage them, the roof grill being easy to damage. the other details are more robust/.

Regards Arran

• 9 months later...

Archived