Autotrailer 232 relaunched at Bodmin

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

Hi guys. Thought id share a few of my pics of newly restored autotrailer 232 at Bodmin today. Hope you like. i also have a few videos that i will upload

post-6777-0-42225100-1302281857_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-83333600-1302281701_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-35513400-1302282022_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-35406000-1302282833_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-72669000-1302283035_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-20537700-1302283426_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-48252700-1302284969_thumb.jpg

post-6777-0-15145500-1302337163_thumb.jpg

That does look good, pity there aren't any old Taff Vale (pretty sure it was ex Taff Vale railmotors as autocoaches i've seen in books..) ones to go with it and the 64xx. Be a nice South Wales looking service.

Good to see one in maroon anyway and not choc cream along with a 14xx.

Guest 34008Padstow

It is. They fabricated all the components to run like it. Martyn Blackwell is the driver for the auto

I was down there as well for this, managed to persuade the missus (for anyone who was there I was the one with the Siberian Husky ties to my waist!) we should go for a walk along the Camel trail and use the line to get there for the last day of our hols - managed a ride on the 1st auto run for a short trip down the line, round trip to Boscarne and Parkway before a trip back to Boscarne on the Autocoach. It is a magnificent job all the guys who worked on it should be really proud of themselves. Really pleased we went for the day and saw this just need to make the long trek back down again for another ride on this coach.

Guest 34008Padstow

I saw you lol. you may of seen me, i was they guy in a black hoody standing by the luggage trolley at General

I saw you too Padstow. The Husky always comes with me to Steam Railways - good walking buddy and he loves the train rides. You may have seen him up at the window on one of his journeys.

Got to say I love your local line, it is a really nice ride. Wish I could visit more often.

It is. They fabricated all the components to run like it. Martyn Blackwell is the driver for the auto

Very nice to see it, a good job well done.

It's hard to think that just over fourty years ago we turned out the whole fleet of trailers at Buckfastleigh (including this one) in Chocolate and Cream livery with working Auto Gear on them all!

Now thats a sight I will never forget four trailers, two either side of a 64 going down the branch.

Can we ever hope to do this again?

Over to you the next generation.

Nice to see this autotrailer so well finished. There are some very skilled workers in restoration work nowadays, which is perhaps suprising considering skills are not being handed down as they used to be. There are quite a few of there coaches restored now so it might not be too long before the rtr guys do a spot of measuring up! On the otherhand, do modellers regard push pull trains as interesting/uninteresting in model form?

• RMweb Premium

It's hard to think that just over fourty years ago we turned out the whole fleet of trailers at Buckfastleigh (including this one) in Chocolate and Cream livery with working Auto Gear on them all!

Now thats a sight I will never forget four trailers, two either side of a 64 going down the branch.

It would be nice to see a 64xx and indeed the16xx return to the SDR, one day, maybe :rolleyes:

Guest 34008Padstow

In response to coachmans question, i find push pull intresting to model. i run a carmine and cream or maroon auto with an unlined black early crest prairie.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see this autotrailer so well finished. There are some very skilled workers in restoration work nowadays, which is perhaps suprising considering skills are not being handed down as they used to be. There are quite a few of there coaches restored now so it might not be too long before the rtr guys do a spot of measuring up! On the otherhand, do modellers regard push pull trains as interesting/uninteresting in model form?

No question for me. I regard pull-push and autotrains as a handy bolt-on that can be slipped into the most minimal of layouts while providing something a little different.

Absolutely agree about the skills being displayed by dedicated restorers up and down the land. The preservation scene is much more varied now. Whereas many emerging preserved railways had to rely on good old Mk1s in their early days, we seem to see pics of more and more true heritage vehicles - as a direct result of very hard work and infinite patience by society members. These lovely pics are testament to how rewarding that effort can be.

One thing I forgot to add was those 'gold' curtains look pretty authentic. Was the closest available material used or was a special run off for a number of coaches?

Two years ago Mrs coach and I did a days roving on the Llangollen Railway. Now as spartan as auto trailers are, the journey was quieter and pleasanter in one of those than on a heritage DMU that we sampled in the opposite direction. I have only mentioned this because while the DMU was the saviour of some lines on economic and modernity grounds, I wonder how it went down on lines that were used to auto trailers.....:)

Archived