Czech Narrow gauge... Something unusual!

Hobby

Here's some piccies of my Czech narrow gauge layout, based on the 760mm line in the south of the Czech republic which was featured in the December 2010 CM...

Early days:

5612731410_5cc60bdfb1.jpg

5612731724_b4c715d1e2.jpg

View across the street from the station:

5612171773_21bf3b5cda.jpg

As the weather was nice today I put the two boards together and took some more photos... Enjoy!

5612809539_936da25331.jpg

5612809023_be556aa97c.jpg

5612808555_bc04b2ca61.jpg

5612807089_3bf53ed516.jpg

5613387056_af340700d2.jpg

5613387584_90c73f9fcc.jpg

The third to fifth photos really convey the atmosphere of the real thing in my eyes... But I will have to sort out the "sky", I hadn't noticed how bad it was... or the leaning chimney!

The third to fifth photos really convey the atmosphere of the real thing in my eyes.

Yes, decidedly atmospheric, like all the best layouts. I like it.

After exiting their favourite hostelry, that chimney would look decidedly vertical to some gentlemen on here.

Dennis

• RMweb Gold

Looks good and something different.

The buildings certainly look Eastern European and reminds me of my own visits to Czech Republic. I didn't see many trains though, but passed several sections of track / bridges / track in roads etc. All was pretty run-down and typical of Eastern Europe from the 'old pre-democratic' days!

Great country to visit though and the people are very friendly. Plus, the beer is very good and cheap (was when I was there last), although Prague was more expensive as you would expect.

Have you through about putting the snow breaks (stakes) alongside the track to prevent the snow drifts?

Do you have any more photos to share?

Franco, its in HOe using Roco and Tillig track out front and Peco N at the back.

Mudmagnet, the beer is still reasonably cheap, though as all things most prices have gone up... Except the prices on the railway which are still cheap! I don't actually recall seeing any snow breaks, there aren't any in any of the photos of the line I have, which are mainly in the station areas, though it does get a fair old helping of snow but they seem to cope ok with it!

I have a few more of the stock, though I got caught with the Fotopic fiasco and am still transferring to Flickr!

• 4 weeks later...

A comment by a Czech Modeller reminded me that I was going to try using a series of photos I took while in the Czech Republic to make up a Panorama photo for the backscene... this is the result, not a very good photo...

Before:

5699650739_d1caa3d11e.jpg

After:

5707574532_036393bd00.jpg

Its made up of four A4 sheets of "extra white" paper printed using "poster" setting stuck to the backdrop using Spraymount... I'm not sure how long this glue will last, though it does give a much smoother finish than ordinary glue and allows adjustment...

BTW on the left hand side, the "vertical cloud" is actually that, not the joint between sheets of paper... that's just to the right of the vertical cloud!

Just done some preparation for an 009 Society Meeting tomorrow night at my house... If you want to see it, it will also be at Pewsey 009 Society Open Day in August and the European Model Railway Exhibition at Solihull in September...

Overall view of the layout including the fiddle yard:

5733740849_9aa6080cfb.jpg

View up the street towards the Wheat Store:

5734289420_669a93cef2.jpg

The wooded corner and bridge over the stream:

5734288614_9f3d4839a9.jpg

Two views of the station:

5734288840_db9e9c445a.jpg

5734288330_0b75ecbb00.jpg

This is looking really nice. What did you use for the grass fields by the stream? I ask because they appear to have flowers growing in them which is so evocative of the area you are modelling.

Its a bit of a cheat, really... I used grassmat and then sprinkled on some different coloured flocks and clumping material to break up the monotony of the single colour... Other sections use some Auhagen Mini Scenic Mats, also with added flock...

• 2 weeks later...

Some unusual motive power, an East European Muv69 Works Car and trailer...

Its been rather a long time coming, this one... I got some resin castings of the crane and then had a bit of a disaster with them, its taken a while to locate a replacement...

5772490223_6f8f9baaa6.jpg

5772489897_e9a73789b1.jpg

• 3 months later...

There are two sources for HOe, some chap in Prague makes resin castings and are sometimes sold by the Russian railway Society (if you can find him!) and a brass kit is produced by DKModell, a Czech manufacturer. The ones I have are all the brass one, I could never get the resin ones to look right! DKM also produce a wide range of TTe stock, including the 4 wheel coaches...

There are two sources for HOe, some chap in Prague makes resin castings and are sometimes sold by the Russian railway Society (if you can find him!) and a brass kit is produced by DKModell, a Czech manufacturer. The ones I have are all the brass one, I could never get the resin ones to look right! DKM also produce a wide range of TTe stock, including the 4 wheel coaches...

Thank you!

Archived