Tortoises and Peco Slips

• RMweb Gold

I've just begun a program of replacing my Peco PL10s and Lenz LS150s with Tortoise point motors and NCE Switch-8 DCC decoders. No problem with standard points although I've found I do need to remove the tiebar springs for the Tortoises to work properly, something I was expecting to have to do anyway.

But I have a number of Peco slips installed and ballasted and on these the spring is underneath. Is there any way of disabling this from above or is it just a question of using stronger spring wire with the Tortoises? And if so what gauge wire is recommended?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that. I think I'll start with using some thicker piano wire and I've purchased some 0.036" from Ebay today. I'm just concerned that if I try to break the spring from above, the debris might get stuck under the tiebar ....

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that. I think I'll start with using some thicker piano wire and I've purchased some 0.036" from Ebay today. I'm just concerned that if I try to break the spring from above, the debris might get stuck under the tiebar ....

It's an oft quoted myth that you have to remove the spring

Archived