EU/UK legal Digitrax radio throttles

I've just had an email from my DCC system supplier, saying that the radio versions of Digitrax' throttles are now certified for Europe and UK, and he's taking orders.

There is a DT402D (the big one with a display plus knobs to drive two locos simultaneously, and rather too many buttons) and the UT4D (small simple one for one loco), plus the base receiver/transmitter. Also available bundled inside sets with the command station.

I think its taken 2.5 years to get them from "launch" at Warley show to "actually on sale", but at least they are finally here.

- Nigel

Note the impending change of regulations regarding UK wireless devices. The broadcast channels available for public use will be changing - perhaps this is related to Digitrax's devices now being permitted?

Note the impending change of regulations regarding UK wireless devices. The broadcast channels available for public use will be changing - perhaps this is related to Digitrax's devices now being permitted?

Highly unlikely, the bands released will be made available to something much more profitable to the government.... more phone services e.g. 4G. It's probable that it has just taken Digitrax all this time to pass the relevent tests to use current frequencies.

Highly unlikely, the bands released will be made available to something much more profitable to the government.... more phone services e.g. 4G. It's probable that it has just taken Digitrax all this time to pass the relevent tests to use current frequencies.

I understand it is time to pass CE tests, not helped by Digitrax stopping half way through testing, then wanting to restart and discovering the tests had been revised, so they needed to start from the beginning again rather than just finish what they had done earlier. (This information can be found on videos of a Digitrax clinic at the last NMRA convention, if you search deep enough around the internet).

I understand the frequencies to be in the same area as WiFi home networks.

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

I've just had an email from my DCC system supplier, saying that the radio versions of Digitrax' throttles are now certified for Europe and UK, and he's taking orders.

There is a DT402D (the big one with a display plus knobs to drive two locos simultaneously, and rather too many buttons) and the UT4D (small simple one for one loco), plus the base receiver/transmitter. Also available bundled inside sets with the command station.

Really good news, as it puts Digitrax back on the "leading edge" map in Europe. My glimpses of the DT402 suggested it looked awfully like the DT400 I've used for many years - where are all these "too many buttons", Nigel? As we've always said, DCC systems all feel different, and one size certainly does not fit all.

I feel a wallet-emptying coming on.

Really good news, as it puts Digitrax back on the "leading edge" map in Europe. My glimpses of the DT402 suggested it looked awfully like the DT400 I've used for many years - where are all these "too many buttons", Nigel?

A DT402 has identical button layout to a DT400. The most significant end-user change is extending functions to F28. You might want to wait for the DT400 upgrade option to be available, I'm sure some UK dealers will be able to arrange this without expecting the owner to deal direct with Florida.

On "too many buttons"... whilst I like and use Digitrax kit, my biggest complaint is their Ergonomics (my day job). The DT400/402 has a mass of identical buttons with fairly hard to read labels. Contrast with some other makers who have achieved a better layout by grouping buttons and altering the size to give emphasis to some buttons.

Yes, the DT400/402 is arguably unique in having speed control for two locos on two knobs, but for most people this is not a massive issue.

As we've always said, DCC systems all feel different, and one size certainly does not fit all.

Indeed, my own preference is for "simple" throttles, so the UT4 and the Fremo/Uhlenbrock Fred score well in my book. But I know others who really like their DT400's.

I feel a wallet-emptying coming on.

Probably the same in my case. Just need to decide whether to go with DT402D (sometimes I could use all those features) or UT4D.

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

These days Spectrum (frequency allocations) are more likely to be sold to Mobile 'Phone companies than allocated to non or low profit making services. Even public broadcasting isn't automatically allocated space as was the case many years ago. Hence the fact that part of the UHF band is being de-allocated to TV services leaving many parts of the UK with only half a Freeview service unlike what was promised when digital broadcasting was first mooted.

Keith

I think its taken 2.5 years to get them from "launch" at Warley show to "actually on sale", but at least they are finally here.

- Nigel

More like 3 1/2 years. It was the 2007 Warley show where AJ and Zana first showed off the duplex wireless. Shame its taken so long. A missed opportunity I think. The stop start nature of things along with another factory move, and increased pressure to launch in the US first, put the EU certification on the back burner. Most of the Digitrax owners I know in the UK have already gone down the WiThrottle route. In a lot of ways its more economical.

As for the DT400's design, there is a company that offers replacement faces for the DT400. Throttle Art I've replaced the fronts of both my DT400s with these. They are thinner with slightly larger holes so you don't get the sticking button syndrome, and the font and colours surrounding the buttons can be customised to suit your own preferences.

• RMweb Premium

These days Spectrum (frequency allocations) are more likely to be sold to Mobile 'Phone companies than allocated to non or low profit making services. Even public broadcasting isn't automatically allocated space as was the case many years ago. Hence the fact that part of the UHF band is being de-allocated to TV services leaving many parts of the UK with only half a Freeview service unlike what was promised when digital broadcasting was first mooted.

Keith

I don't disagree in principle, although I think the specific lack of full Freeview service at most repeaters has more to do with the fact that nobody wants to pay for the extra transmit capacity than spectrum usage as such. It is pretty shoddy that this lack of full Freeview service barely gets a mention on any of the digital switchover advertising.

• RMweb Premium

I don't disagree in principle, although I think the specific lack of full Freeview service at most repeaters has more to do with the fact that nobody wants to pay for the extra transmit capacity than spectrum usage as such. It is pretty shoddy that this lack of full Freeview service barely gets a mention on any of the digital switchover advertising.

A lot of these repeaters were on frequencies no longer to be used. The official line is "Lack of channels" and "interference issues" due no doubt because some of the ones that could be used will no longer be available. It's all part of the "Digital Dividend" whereby the government sells off large chunks of the TV band to raise big bucks!

Keith

i got wind of this impending release ( has it happened? ) but the UR92 is called a UR92CE??? does this mean it works on different frequencies to the US?? or just the same with a different badge to show it has passed the EU testing?? the big kill is that it is just over 450 quid!!!! for a full system, or just under 300 quid for the UR92CE and a DT402D ( will it be a DT402DCE ?? ) to upgrade the system you have. you can get the whole set from the states for less than 300 quid.

.....the UR92 is called a UR92CE??? does this mean it works on different frequencies to the US?? or just the same with a different badge to show it has passed the EU testing??

....... you can get the whole set from the states for less than 300 quid.

I'm sure it's different frequencies but still within the 2.4GHz band (please correct me if I'm wrong) and as such the US version will be illegal in the EU.

The "CE" suffix is added to all components in the wireless range....

UR92 =UR92CE

DT402D = DT402DCE

UT4D = UT4DCE

The m.r.p. for the EU certified Duplex Super Chief Xtra CE 5 amp set is $675.00 (approx. £409 ).

That's $10 more than the standard US version (it's also $10 more for the Super Empire builder and 8 amp Super Chief models too).

• RMweb Premium

i got wind of this impending release ( has it happened? ) but the UR92 is called a UR92CE??? does this mean it works on different frequencies to the US??

That would be nice to know, it appears (although I'm not 100% sure) the CE unit uses the 2.4GHz ISM band (along with microwave ovens and WiFi networks amongst others). The user manual for the US version doesn't seem to mention the RF frequency anywhere and I couldn't find the FCC filing quickly so gave up.

In short - I dunno

I'm sure it's different frequencies but still within the 2.4GHz band (please correct me if I'm wrong) and as such the US version will be illegal in the EU.

The "CE" suffix is added to all components in the wireless range....

UR92 =UR92CE

DT402D = DT402DCE

UT4D = UT4DCE

The m.r.p. for the EU certified Duplex Super Chief Xtra CE 5 amp set is $675.00 (approx. £409 ).

That's $10 more than the standard US version (it's also $10 more for the Super Empire builder and 8 amp Super Chief models too).

For those with existing Digitrax systems it might be worth checking with the UK Distributors or directly with Digitrax about a throttle upgrade. Digittrax quote $65:00 to upgrade a DT400 to DT402D spec. I had a DT300 upgraded to radio several years ago

Living in New Zealand I find it faster and more economic to deal directly with Digitrax for repairs and upgrades than go through the local agent.

I am in the process of upgrading to Duplex Radio however in February the DT402D throttle was on 8 weeks back order from the states, when it arrived one of the function buttons did not operate so I am still using my trusty 8 year old DT300 Throttle.

John

For those with existing Digitrax systems it might be worth checking with the UK Distributors or directly with Digitrax about a throttle upgrade. Digittrax quote $65:00 to upgrade a DT400 to DT402D spec. I had a DT300 upgraded to radio several years ago

Certainly one UK dealer has an offer to perform upgrades.

There are two prices quoted, one is for a single handset, the other in batches of ten. In the first case, I think the dealer is acting as post-man and coordinator over the Atlantic, in the second I think they appear to be building batches from various users to send across in bulk at a fair saving. DT400's are probably worth upgrading (also gets 402 features added, and once done, future updates are end-user software loadings), but the price to upgrade a UT4 seems so high as to not be worth it over buying a new UT4DCE.

Archived