MRJ 206

David Bigcheeseplant

A very good issue with well written and informative articles. The modelling on "Owld Ratty" in particular is superb. Good balance of articles with a slight leaning towards the scenic disciplines (or do I imagine it?)

Another triumph

Oh and please another "THIS is a model railway" poster would be nice and "Owld Ratty" would suit just fine...

Ta. :D

I've really enjoyed the last two issues, they have been properly balanced, backed up with some decent repro and layout (possibly even exciting). The occasional feature aimed at the less experienced is a good thing in that it might attract a new and probably much needed audience.

Having a proper editor or somebody with real experience in that area makes a world of a difference! Very much looking forward to seeing 207 - hopefully with Barry at the helm. Good times!

imputus
??

the kits?

Or a kick up the derrière?

I am a died-in-the-wool fan of RMJ, to the exclusion of others...It appears I received my copy of 206 a week before the subs thudded floorwards....get mine from a local model shop....[maybe he prints his own?]

I agree. It's a strange attitude to take. I for one hope I don't give up when I'm 65, I get a lot of enjoyment out of the hobby. OK so I'm thinking of downsizing, but you haven't heard the last from me.......

Struth, I will be 64 this year and I can't wait for next year when I become 65, get rid of the day job for ever, and start allocating some serious "during the day" time to railway modelling.

I have no idea how many years work I have stored away in unmade kits but it's a good few to be sure.

As with many others, read Issue 206 cover to cover and enjoyed every page.

regards

Stewart

If my health continues to be sustained [for legal reasons] I shall be happy to work until at least 70.....just to annoy my management, who seem convinced they only have to tolerate me for another few years....

no 'compulsory' retirement where I work....I 'go' when I say, not those on a higher pay grade...

but mainly because, my job for me is so easy, it beats collecting trolleys for Tesco part-time [pensions a bit rubbish...good..but don't pay much]...........

If my health continues to be sustained [for legal reasons] I shall be happy to work until at least 70.....just to annoy my management, who seem convinced they only have to tolerate me for another few years....

no 'compulsory' retirement where I work....I 'go' when I say, not those on a higher pay grade...

but mainly because, my job for me is so easy, it beats collecting trolleys for Tesco part-time [pensions a bit rubbish...good..but don't pay much]...........

I'd leave and enjoy my retirement!

And there are many people out of work who'll happily take on your job!

I don't think its planned at the moment as Paul K likes the the imputus the guest editors have brought to the magizine.

Some of them have produced excellent issues!

But if a permanent editor is ever sort, Barry Norman gets my vote!

Some of them have produced excellent issues!

But if a permanent editor is ever sort, Barry Norman gets my vote!

Ironically I feel the opposite as i've not been a big fan of the last two..

The Stanier Mogul should have had larger pictures, I can't really see much in the pair included! Hopefully it can get a page in a future issue or something.

I think I like Barry Norman's more artistic way of looking at things rather than being too 'engineered' if you know what I mean.

The Stanier Mogul should have had larger pictures, I can't really see much in the pair included! Hopefully it can get a page in a future issue or something.

I agree with that! I love Mick Moore's work! It's superb. Even the wagons! ;)

Maybe we should start a thread on who and what would you include if you were guest editor for one issue, I guess it would not be that easy to please everyone.

I think it could be a very long thread!

As an aside, I think it would have been interesting to see Frank Dyer as guest editor - I suspect an issue with an operation theme may have been the result :)

Genuine query, is that a misspelling or do you think the saying involves death rather than recolouring (dyed)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dyed-in-the-wool

I see so many cases on RMWeb where people have obviously only ever (mis)heard phrases and never seen them written.

now that is quite possible...however, I typed in such a rush that I didn't notice the browser poking up an 'incorrect' word option....

I'd leave and enjoy my retirement!

And there are many people out of work who'll happily take on your job!

An appropriate sentiment however, which sadly lacks practicality, or feasibility.........if I retire, there is zero chance of the employer being able to 'replace' me....that is down to Government policy, plus, it has been calculated that the time scale to acquire a direct, one-for-one replacement is in the order of two years or more..........

nice to feel 'wanted?'

which sadly lacks practicality, or feasibility.........

How?

If your job is that key they will have to replace you someday and now there's no retirement age as such you're an unknown qunatity so a plan must have at least been considered.

You don't say if it's a lack of appropriate staff or the length of time required to train but if a budget would allow now is the time to begin the process.

f your job is that key they will have to replace you someday and now there's no retirement age as such you're an unknown qunatity so a plan must have at least been considered.

You don't say if it's a lack of appropriate staff or the length of time required to train but if a budget would allow now is the time to begin the process.

Yes... replacements will have to be made at some point...the problem is, Government has made replacement [from outside the 'industry'] impossible at present...or the next few years.

Currently they have an issue with 'natural wastage'....ie more leaving , not able to replace.

Allowing employees to remain in post past the 'normal' retirement age temporarily solves that problem.

Even if the Government were to conduct a complete U-turn on policy as it stands today....next week.....from the date of initial recruitment, through the various processes my employment requires, to a position whereby the employer has a replacement in post, capable and competent enough to replace me [for example]....it would still be approximately 2 years down the line.

The point I make about the above is, whilst no single person cannot be considered as ''not expendable''.....the reality of replacement....like for like, is never really considered..until now.

This is because, in the past, there has been a continual recruitment process to offset natural wastage....now one of those essential elements has been removed!

The only future issue to affect me over the next ten years is likely to be.....the corporate name at the top of my wage slips.....

the wage slips themselves will continue...since the work will still need to be done, to equal, or even , better standards than at present.

I know a bit of thread drift is expected gents, but wouldnt this be more appropriate in W&S, or by PM?

Thanks Pennine - can we keep to the topic in here please?

I think alastairq=Cedric Robinson ;)

Having finished reading I think I started with the best article (Owd Ratty). However I was very impressed with the blobs of glue for flint walls technique in the Trever Nunn article.

Archived