North Norfolk Buildings by Trevor Nunn

Laminating Plastic by Barry Norman

St Merryn by Eddie Bourne

Small Suppliers plus

The Stanier Mogul by Mick Moore

Railex 2011

Christmas Competition results

Letters Diary

Just picked up the only copy at our local Post Office and it is very good indeed. Peter Kazer's model of Boot is probably his best since the last one, though he seems to express dissatisfaction with Sand Hutton which is why this is to be his last layout and not Sand Hutton. Given it's relatively small size, the layout photographs very well.

All the modelling in the magazine is of top quality.

The guest Editor (rapidly becoming the regular Editor, judging by two issues in a row!!) has a real feel for a good balanced issue. They could do a lot worse.

David

I've pretty much read it from cover to cover now and like others I feel that it's another well balanced issue. Lets hope Barry Norman can stay in the editors chair for a while yet...

The article on detailing wagon interiors, although usefull, was perhaps more suited to one of the other mags? I remember the much missed Morill covering the same subject but in 4mm. Still, well written and photographed.

Lets hope Barry Norman can stay in the editors chair for a while yet...

Not only editor but two of the articles are credited to him as well as all the photos from the 12 page main feature layout article..... ;)

G.

My copy has finally arrived. Peter Kazer is an amazing modeller - the kind of modeller I'd like to be if only I had the talent, which I don't. Barry Norman's article on detailing wagon kits was interesting if not exactly revolutionary. I am also drooling over the new Lionheart wagons, pity (for me) that they're post 1923 prototypes, but still fantastic quality for RTR.

On the whole, a better than average edition which I read cover-to-cover in record time.

Very good issue!

My one complaint is that the photos of Mick Moore's Stanier mogul are far too small! His stuff's fantastic and deserves larger photos!

Peter Kazer's model of Boot is probably his best since the last one, though he seems to express dissatisfaction with Sand Hutton which is why this is to be his last layout and not Sand Hutton. Given it's relatively small size, the layout photographs very well.

I can understand what he's getting at with Sand Hutton though - lovely layout but I agree with what he says. But as the nearest NG railway I'm fascinated by the SHLR!

The guest Editor (rapidly becoming the regular Editor, judging by two issues in a row!!) has a real feel for a good balanced issue. They could do a lot worse.

I'd love to see Barry Norman as the new permanent editor :)

• RMweb Gold

I would have to agree with Peter Kazers comment about Sand Hutton, Stunning modelling but the presentation was a bit gaudy and fussy and distracted from the layout. Corris with its more traditional box was much better and hopefully this is what Ratty has.

Owd Ratty looks beautiful.

Only got it yesterday - still reading it - got all excited about the Dragon Models machinery wagons - until I saw the price and found out they were 7mm only! And then I looked at the Lionheart pannier and found the same thng.

Good issue - but please say what scale. Not all of us know manufacturers/scale provision.

• RMweb Premium

Only got it yesterday - still reading it - got all excited about the Dragon Models machinery wagons - until I saw the price and found out they were 7mm only! And then I looked at the Lionheart pannier and found the same thng.

Seeing all these nice 7mm Panniers and Auto Trailers makes me think 'I wish'; I tried my best to look the other way at the York Show :unsure:

Only read the Owd Ratty article so far, but very enjoyable it was too. I do find it a bit wierd that he doesn't want o build another layout cos he is gettign old, surely if you die halfway through you aren't really going to be bothered?

On the whole, a better than average edition which I read cover-to-cover in record time.

Mine also arrived early this afternoon.

I was anticipating a mediocre issue given some of the comments above. Yet despite that, I was very content with the content of this issue, possibly even despite there was nothing that especially was in my street of modelling. Despite its length Owd Ratty was an excellent article and well illustrated covering some particularly fine modelling. The article didn't seem too log at all, even though I am usually put off articles that run over so many pages. I am glad any temptation to split it over issues was resisted. Barry Norman's Inside Out I thought was exactly the type of detailing "how to" that MRJ could benefit more from. I think it is well suited to MRJ and don't especially think it appropriate to one of the more general "modelling" magazines. Two adverts for both ExpoEM and Railex seemed OTT surely one would have been just as good (or was it a freebie for being late?)

Certainly an issue that I am going to be returning to.

Also see the centre-fold was there to help placate the oil can supporters ;) Though even I thought she looked impressive.

got all excited about the Dragon Models machinery wagons - until I saw the price

I see I am going to have to go heavily disguised to the ALSM show in Reading in a couple of weeks, or someone is going to be talked into something better avoided.

I do find it a bit wierd that he doesn't want o build another layout cos he is gettign old, surely if you die halfway through you aren't really going to be bothered?

Only second-guessing, I've not seen it myself yet, but maybe it's more the fear of infirmity, having started something, not being able to finish or exhibit it but still being around to be frustrated by it?

Only second-guessing, I've not seen it myself yet, but maybe it's more the fear of infirmity, having started something, not being able to finish or exhibit it but still being around to be frustrated by it?

That is an excellent point of view. But it does worry me slightly as it implies that rather negative view on life - I am not going to start living because I will die someday.

I know we all (most of us) take the opposite view that to enjoy as much of life while we still can as none of us know for certain what tomorrow will bring.

Sudden infirmity (or being hit by the proverbial 99 bus) could stop any of us tomorrow from enjoying whatever is the current phase of development of out hobby, or our other passions in life. If we all took the attitude that it is better not to start because we might never finish the world would be a dull and lifeless place.

I agree. It's a strange attitude to take. I for one hope I don't give up when I'm 65, I get a lot of enjoyment out of the hobby. OK so I'm thinking of downsizing, but you haven't heard the last from me.......

• RMweb Gold

Also if you've built such beautiful layouts you do have something rather fine to enjoy in modelling retirement ;)

Who knows if the bug bites he may get inspired again or do something very different. Building lifetime layouts is popular in the US and some famous ones of those have been scrapped and something new started as a new interest takes hold.

Peter Kazers comment was made before with Sand Hutton remember so he may well find the something that means he can achieve even higher levels.

I have no idea how old Mr Kazer is; but maybe he's getting to the point where he doesn't want to do too many more exhibitions, and does want a nice layout to play with at home for the rest of his life. Anyway, it's his choice and I don't think we ought to be criticising him over it. People do make choices from time to time - it's not that hard to think of excellent modellers who have given up the hobby altogether.

Sudden infirmity (or being hit by the proverbial 99 bus) could stop any of us tomorrow from enjoying whatever is the current phase of development of out hobby, or our other passions in life.

Did anybody mention 'sudden'? I think there's a difference, between being unduly fatalistic in your prime and simply being realistic as the years advance.

. Anyway, it's his choice and I don't think we ought to be criticising him over it.

Exactly. Peter could have half a dozen undisclosed reasons for making that choice, none of which would be any of our business.

• RMweb Premium

.... Peter could have half a dozen undisclosed reasons for making that choice, none of which would be any of our business.

Quite right, not really any of our business but it doesn't stop it from seeming to be a strange choice, doubly so in that his previous layout Sand Hutton was also going to be the last.

Quite right, not really any of our business but it doesn't stop it from seeming to be a strange choice,

That's kinda my point though, all sorts of choices made by other folk could seem strange if you don't know the reasons behind them. We all make choices, sometimes multiple factors are involved; it's not always clear-cut.

I have no idea how old Mr Kazer is; but maybe he's getting to the point where he doesn't want to do too many more exhibitions, and does want a nice layout to play with at home for the rest of his life. Anyway, it's his choice and I don't think we ought to be criticising him over it. People do make choices from time to time - it's not that hard to think of excellent modellers who have given up the hobby altogether.

According to his MRJ article, PK is 65 years of age. Boot's not intended as a home-based layout. He was at NGNorth on its debut exhibition appearance and he's accepted other invitations to exhibit, including Rochdale in November 2012.

Archived