The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Favourite Live Albums

Ramrig

• RMweb Premium

After seeing them supporting Take That this summer I went out and brought Pet Shop Boys Live at the O2 Arena. I had forgotten what an awesome duo they are!!! Real 80's nostalgia :dance_mini: :clapping_mini:

Edited by Ramrig

• RMweb Premium

Whatever your favourite live album happens to be, there are certain criteria to be fullfilled:

It must be a double-album, in a gatefold sleeve, featuring lots of photos of the band on stage, and of the spectacular light-shows.

At least one side (usually side 3 or 4) must contain a maximum of two tracks, less if possible (prog bands have an advantage here)

It must be recorded at the height of the band's early creativity, usually when touring their third or fourth album.

Anything I've missed? :D

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

One classic live album thats not been mentioned yet is Mike Oldfield's "Exposed", when he suddenly changed from being a recluse to an extrovert. A very ambitious first tour, featuring not just his band, but choir and orchestra, narrator, and Maddy Prior on vocals! (and lots of paper aeroplanes, but they dont feature on the album)

Hmm, should I try and get it on cd...

Dave.T

• RMweb Premium

As others have mentioned, Runrig's "Once in a Lifetime".

Plus:

Lou Reed: "Rock and Roll Animal"

Love - "The Forever Changes Concert"

DT

Edited by Torper

I think I've only ever heard two, both of which have been mentioned, The Who Live At Leeds and Depeche Mode 101.

There's a live album from The Jam, 'Dig The New Breed', which I keep meaning to track down...

Made in Japan - Deep Purple

Space Rirual - Hawkwind

How the West was won - Led Zeppelin

Legs and Boots - Tori Amos. OK, not really an album. All the US, Canada and Australia gigs on her ADP 2007 tour were released on itunes 2hours after the end of each concert. No time for editing, so what you get is live music, warts and all. Just as is should be.

The trouble with many 'live' albums is that they are taken back to the studio and all the naff notes taken out and replaced. In some cases, I have heard that the only 'live' left is the audience.