I have just completed 3 baseboards and am about to start a layout BASED on the running shed at Philadelphia(I want to be a 7 yr old boy again standing at the box at phili).After looking at numerous photos!! advice help,as to the ballast A)very fine black B)None just an impression. Any thoughts welcome.I thought a fine layer not to defined.I'm hoping to model an Impression from the shed up through the level crossing to the rather magnificent bracket signal-Si

Woodland Scenics do a 'Cinders' ballast in three grades, fine (like a very fine sand), medium (like sugar) and coarse (haven't seen it), which are black and a good starting point for industrial ballast.

Arthur

Assuming it's as per the extensive collection of NCB photos I went through when planning a similar layout (project now shelved), you want a black mess of coal dust, mud, general grime, and maybe the odd lump of ballast in between! Looking forward to seeing your layout!

I'm fortunate in that a pal of mine who followed industrial railways took samples of ground deposites around the various sites and supplies me with the dust found around coal mines. All I can say is It is a dark grey colour and reflects light as only the real stuff can. It is certainly not as dark as coal dust though.

post-6680-0-58774600-1303719067_thumb.jpg

Thanks for replies I go back up home fairly often.I often drive over to Philli the old sheds are still there, and west of the old level crossing the track bed is well black, so thats all I have to go on but soon as these hols are over I will try some Woodlands cinder and as they say play.

One grouse I have is after getting back to some modelling after a few years no decent model shops or should I say your old fashioned shop that caterd for the modeller.Not in North Wales anyway, I digress thanks again for replies

I have trawled the net over the years and think I've seen most articles and pics of the Lambton system-Simon

I make my own ballast for colliery lines and the like. I take a wander along an old colliery trackbed and pick up ash and slag and small bits of coal that have dropped from wagons and locomotives. Smash it and grind it with a pestle and mortar and sieve it. Keep repeating it with the stuff that hasn't gone through the sieve until it does.

Just don't let the missus catch you if it's one to be used again for food. ;)

IMHO it looks much better than anything Woodland Scenics can offer because it's made from the real stuff and has variation in it, whereas the bought-in stuff is a uniform colour. If I was putting it round an area that would have a lot of coal spillage I'd put more coal in the mix. It fixes in place with Klear and dilute PVA much easier than the WS stuff because it is heavier.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an jam-jar full of the dark grey 'dust' from decomposing rubber carpet underlay. I sprinkle this (old tea strainer) on top of the thinned PVA glue after ballasting normally and gradually build up a layer of 'grot' just like the real thing would have done over many years. With a variety of suitable coloured dusts and powders the look can be varied at different locations to suit the traffic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many lines used ash ballast as it's a free by-product of running a steam loco. As Gordon A says if you want a source then go along and speak to your local preserved railway - they often are trying to find places to get rid of the ash without having to pay to dispose of it.

Friends with traction engines are also a good source.

Archived