The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Another Music Icon Gone.

Simon Lee

Sad news indeed; and following so closely after the death of Arianna Forster (better known as Ari Up of the Slits) it does seem that being a Punk hero is no recipe for longevity. Conversely, it seems that most of my reggae idols from the same period are alive, well and looking no older.

Adrian

They only ever produced one album before splitting up!

As did the Sex Pistols, but in spite of limited recorded output, both bands had a profound impact on those who listened (listen) to the music & often on wider society, too. The sight of a bi-racial female fronting a band in Britain in the late '70s was unusual, to put it mildly, and her anti-racist & feminist stance influenced a great many people, & continues to do so to this day.

There was also her output as a solo artist, including her latest album 'Generation Indigo' which was released recently to very positive reviews.

All in all, a very sad loss - RIP Poly...

Whilst I heartily applaud the artist's stance on women in music, anti-racism/sexism and the like, I couldn't stand her voice (or Ari Up's either, come to that). Far too shrill and screechy for my ears.

steve

Poly was a lovely person, and despite X-Ray Spex' recorded output not being to my taste (see also Generation X) her guest appearance/ duet with John Robb on GOLDBLADE's 2008 'City of Christmas Ghosts' is one of my personal recent high points. For poignancy and a beaming smile to remember a true punk rock treasure by, I thoroughly recommend the video to the above track on You Tube.

R.I.P Poly Styrene

Archived