SR 'Queen Mary' brake van bogies.

Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

AFAIK the Bachy Queen Mary is (correctly) fitted with the standard SR 8' coach bogie, as fitted to Bulleid & Maunsell hauled stock.

They do look like BR1 bogies but have a shorter wheelbase.

As Colin says, the QM rides on Bachmann's interpretation of the standard SR bogie. It's a bit chunky, but reasonably accurate. The best rendition I've seen however, is that produced by No Nonsense Kits (not currently available owing to the untimely death of Alistair Rolfe, but perhaps forthcoming from the new owners: http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/indexnnk.asp), though the Ratio version is pretty good too.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the QM brake van hasn't been upgraded to "Blue Riband" spec so is a little chunky compared with Bachmann's later offerings.

Wasn't one of the reasons for the SR using the bogies as there were plenty of spares from withdrawn carriage stock?

Keith

Is the SR bogie wheelbase different to the BR 1 bogie's? AFIK the main visual differences are subtle, involving the lack of a flange at the tops of the sideframes and a few other minor variations.

Is the SR bogie wheelbase different to the BR 1 bogie's? AFIK the main visual differences are subtle, involving the lack of a flange at the tops of the sideframes and a few other minor variations.

They are 8' - the BR1 is 8'6". The Southern bogie was also fitted with step boards which makes it look rather different.

Other sources of these bogies are Phoenix (I'm not very impressed with these), Comet and MJT. Here's mine on a pair of Comet bogies.

post-1187-0-26066900-1303892090_thumb.jpg

Archived