New wagons for Newhaven

A few wagons - all Parkside kits.

Newly completed Grampus:

post-8139-0-19629200-1321308925_thumb.jpg

A gulf red livery with a shamelessly unresearched number, so sorry for that.

post-8139-0-56886300-1321308950_thumb.jpg

A more believable black one, with a detail shot of the transfers, carrier film removed. I have used powdered red, yellow and black tailor's chalk mixed together to produce an earthy weathered effect. This powder was applied berfore the matt varnish had fully hardened, so it has stuck to the surface quite well.

post-8139-0-42174800-1321309041_thumb.jpg

I rather like Medfits, so I now have two. The 'Wimbledon' marking is a complete fiction!

post-8139-0-06473500-1321309662_thumb.jpg

Finally, a van which will become something actually shown on Paul Bartlett's website. This one has odd axle boxes, clasp brakes, Dowty buffers and a repaired roof -hence the white strips on the roof to represent battens.

post-8139-0-81260400-1321308899_thumb.jpg

Colin

Very nice Grampii. And so familiar - reminds me that I have a Grampus plate in the garden somewhere that I insisted on dragging home from the sidings on the beach at Newhaven aged about 8. Nearly killed me getting it over that footbridge to the Harbour Station in time for the train home...

Very nice Grampii. And so familiar - reminds me that I have a Grampus plate in the garden somewhere that I insisted on dragging home from the sidings on the beach at Newhaven aged about 8. Nearly killed me getting it over that footbridge to the Harbour Station in time for the train home...

That's a very lucky find number6. So you were down there too! If only I still had the photos of those wagons that I took in the 70's.........

Now, if you go down there again you might still find a porcelain third rail insulator pot near the beach. It is surprising how much it weighed. I saw it last year but, unlike you and your Grampus plate, decided it was too much trouble to carry back to the car as a trophy.

Colin

Indeed I must have been. From what i can remember they were knocked around a lot during unloading and I found the plate just lying by the track under a wagon. Probably bashed off by the excavator.

I forget where I found this photo but this is how I remember it. Looks like an ex-LMS van and a mixed rake of opens...

5682618567_a6500d0fa3_o.jpg

Yes, number6, I have seen that photo before.

The train is standing on what was the track bed to the tide mill in Victorian times. BR must have tipped an awful lot of spoil on this site after time the photo was taken as the area is almost level now.

An ex-LMS brake van is on the shopping list. I have an old BRM with an article by Ian Fleming/PennineMC on detailing models of these brake vans. Very nice they looked too.

Coolin

Many years after this photo we were on a family beach outing in the area. car parking was in the car park between Denton Corner and Bishopstone. While wandering about searching for railway souvenirs, I came across a SR rail chair plus a short length of bullhead rail. Carrying these back to the car was a nightmare ! The rail had been flame cut, so, one hacksaw blade each side later, and it was tidied up. There was also one half of a level crossing target.......couldn;t find the other half ! All this had to be carried back psthe tidemill remains and over the line to the car.

happy days !

gerrynick

The Newhaven Tidemills picture is one of mine that I posted on your Newhaven Harbour topic, I think - thought it was available on our website, but I haven't done a link to it apparently.

D1375 is in our 2012 plans - the unfitted as built wagons, with thin planks (at the top edge on the model!).

Try Blackham Transfers (Blaenau Ffestiniog) for custom lettering.

Barry,

Cambrian

The Newhaven Tidemills picture is one of mine that I posted on your Newhaven Harbour topic, I think - thought it was available on our website, but I haven't done a link to it apparently.

D1375 is in our 2012 plans - the unfitted as built wagons, with thin planks (at the top edge on the model!).

Try Blackham Transfers (Blaenau Ffestiniog) for custom lettering.

Barry,

Cambrian

Hi Barry,

Glad to hear of your plans to make a kit of the Dia. 1375 wagons. It would be good to provide parts for the BR fitted conversion of these wagons as those wagons lasted a long time. Unfitted Dia. 1375 wagons were converted in the late fifties and lasted until the eighties - possibly some for even longer.

I have three of these 1375's as models. I daresay I accomodate some more!

Colin

Cambrian (Mountains)

Many years after this photo we were on a family beach outing in the area. car parking was in the car park between Denton Corner and Bishopstone. While wandering about searching for railway souvenirs, I came across a SR rail chair plus a short length of bullhead rail. Carrying these back to the car was a nightmare ! The rail had been flame cut, so, one hacksaw blade each side later, and it was tidied up. There was also one half of a level crossing target.......couldn;t find the other half ! All this had to be carried back psthe tidemill remains and over the line to the car.

happy days !

gerrynick

Hi gerynick,

There is still a lever frame and buffer stop in the port authority yard if you are down that way again!

(We'll have the topic locked by midnight at this rate)

Colin

Hi Colin,

The Grampus look great, I do like the red one.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter,

As I said before, the gulf red Grampus could be all wrong. I have yet to see a picture of an unfitted one in this livery. I used Humbrol matt red mixed with a little Humbrol matt black to get the colour. It look a bit better now the matt varnish has gone on - less like BR baxuite than it was.

One thing that has occurred to me is that I have absolutely no wagons in BR unfitted grey livery on the layout I have only seen one picture of of a wagon in grey whilst in departmental use. That was an SR dropside brick wagon. Nobody makes a kit for that sadly.

Colin

Thanks Peter,

As I said before, the gulf red Grampus could be all wrong. I have yet to see a picture of an unfitted one in this livery. I used Humbrol matt red mixed with a little Humbrol matt black to get the colour. It look a bit better now the matt varnish has gone on - less like BR baxuite than it was.

One thing that has occurred to me is that I have absolutely no wagons in BR unfitted grey livery on the layout I have only seen one picture of of a wagon in grey whilst in departmental use. That was an SR dropside brick wagon. Nobody makes a kit for that sadly.

Colin

I think someone you know might be remedying that omission shortly, presuming you mean the 5-plank dropside built at Ashford post WW2.

I have seen photos of various wagons in grey in engineer's use; there are a few in the various Cheona books.

I think someone you know might be remedying that omission shortly, presuming you mean the 5-plank dropside built at Ashford post WW2.

I have seen photos of various wagons in grey in engineer's use; there are a few in the various Cheona books.

Hi Fat Controller,

I am intrigued as to who it is that I should know who is going to produce a kit for that Dia.1/033 SR brick wagon. It was a post-war build and there is a brief description of the type by David Larkin in BRM June 2001 p.40. It is an interesting prototype, as the 100 5-plank wagons were built seemingly unbeknown* to the newly formed BR management. Further to this, some were even fitted with vacuum brakes post-1955, despite the fact that they were a prohibited type due to their door spring mechanism's design and position.

The one photograph I have seen of a specific wagon at the Newhaven beach sidings is of one of the unfitted 1/033 wagons, DB4836(8?)7, coupled to a Grampus. So I really must have one if a kit does appear.

Colin

Edit: *The orignal diagram was for 200 3-plank wagons to Lot 2061, which 100 of them were. (All information on these wagons is quoted from the David Larkin article mentioned above.)

Cxx BR 12ton 5 plank Dropside Wagon (D1/33 - built 1949, SR design) TBA Cxx BR 12ton 3 plank Dropside Wagon (D1/16 - built 1949, SR design) TBA

from the Cambrian price list...

I built one of these, using a photo in one of those David Larkin photo spots in the Muddler, about 35 or so years ago- I'd seen a fitted one at Haverfordwest. I think it's probably due for replacement..

Cxx BR 12ton 5 plank Dropside Wagon (D1/33 - built 1949, SR design) TBA Cxx BR 12ton 3 plank Dropside Wagon (D1/16 - built 1949, SR design) TBA

from the Cambrian price list...

I built one of these, using a photo in one of those David Larkin photo spots in the Muddler, about 35 or so years ago- I'd seen a fitted one at Haverfordwest. I think it's probably due for replacement..

Ha. So the constant nagging of my brother has paid off!

Now, if he'd just produce a kit for the BR banana van, sludge wagon........

Colin

A few shots of Poclain-Lowmac build. This has become a more tricky operation than I had anticipated. Having studied all the photos of the Poclain excavators on Lowmacs on Paul Bartlett's website, I roughed out some plans and made a start:

post-8139-0-68366300-1321646270_thumb.jpg

The Lowmac has its jacks fitted. The excavator itself amounts to a partly finished jib most of the cab and few odds and ends. The jib is not overhanging as far as it ultimately will be. This jib had to be built first to make sure I had the proportions of the machine right. The Poclain's bodywork is quite a complex shape, that will be next.

post-8139-0-42935100-1321646290.jpg

The match truck is all but finished. There are some guard rails made to go on the sides to be added after painting. The sections of rail look a bit wierd, but that is what

was on the real one. The the horizontal part of the trestle has three holes for chaining spare/different buckets for the excavator. If there is anything missing on this wagon it's because I can't see it on the photo!

Colin

(Edited for bad grammar.)

post-1085-0-75171800-1321657554.jpg

This picture has had an encounter with Mr. Photoshop (amongst other things).

The brake van is an LMS D1890 with the access nearest to the cabin ends. Most of the wagons seem to be three plank (or similar, if steel) in height. The Newhaven 08 is probably at the far end.

On the right hand side, from the left there is a caravan and shed. Laying down in front seems to be the wooden frame of a harbour pile driver. To the right of these is a lorry with a red cab & blue body; then an excavator, which doesn't seem high enough to be wagon mounted.

This area seems unfortunately to be difficult to find pictures of. Rather irrelevant, there's one aerial view showing the east & west side of the harbour in 1943, complete with barrage balloons, and rather more buildings than there are now.

The D1375 wagon kit could have an etched tie bar supplied - this could also be used on a couple of other kits including the skeleton underframe for the LMS Roadstone wagon, on which I doubt the bar would fill reliably if it was part of the main moulding.

D1/16 and D1/33 are a bit further away, as they need heavier W-irons than D1375, so more there's more tooling involved.

Barry.

post-1085-0-75171800-1321657554.jpg

This picture has had an encounter with Mr. Photoshop (amongst other things).

The brake van is an LMS D1890 with the access nearest to the cabin ends. Most of the wagons seem to be three plank (or similar, if steel) in height. The Newhaven 08 is probably at the far end.

On the right hand side, from the left there is a caravan and shed. Laying down in front seems to be the wooden frame of a harbour pile driver. To the right of these is a lorry with a red cab & blue body; then an excavator, which doesn't seem high enough to be wagon mounted.

This area seems unfortunately to be difficult to find pictures of. Rather irrelevant, there's one aerial view showing the east & west side of the harbour in 1943, complete with barrage balloons, and rather more buildings than there are now.

The D1375 wagon kit could have an etched tie bar supplied - this could also be used on a couple of other kits including the skeleton underframe for the LMS Roadstone wagon, on which I doubt the bar would fill reliably if it was part of the main moulding.

D1/16 and D1/33 are a bit further away, as they need heavier W-irons than D1375, so more there's more tooling involved.

Barry.

Hi Barry,

The photo has a lot of interesting features in it. When was it taken by the way?

I make no claims to fidelity in modelling a Poclain Lowmac - just wanted to make one. Very fiddly. The machines used to unload spoil at Newhaven must have been self-propelled. I shall hedge my bets and make the excavator with a detachable superstructure in case I want one with tracks in the future.

Re. D 1375 wagons, the idea of etching tie bars sounds good. Moulded plastic ones are either too thick or so thin that they warp. Any chance of having headstocks without moulded-on buffers to make it easier to add Oleo or similar buffers for the vac. brake conversion?

Colin

The Poclain Lowmac was used for excavating foundations for structures such as OHL supports. The equipment on the ground at Newhaven tip would probably be similar to other such operations around the country. There'd be one or more tracked excavators, a bulldozer (to level out the spoil), and sometimes a superannuated tipper lorry or two to carry spoil to the further reaches of the tip. Some tips would have a 'screen', which would separate the larger pieces of ballast from the 'fines'- this material would be sold on to local builders and civil engineers as 'sub-base'- tips with such an operation would have a tractor-shovel to load the screen. Wagons with full drop-sides would be preferred, when available, as they could be unloaded by dropping the sides and scraping across with the bucket. Using a five-planker (or a mineral) was more laborious.

Archived