If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

What happened to Highclere?

chas_n

So the 2mm Association site pointed me to Highclere layout, by Missy, which was a brilliant thread. After 28 pages of reading, it stopped in October, as did most of the threads. So I assumed that I needed to join to see up-to-date thread content (looks like that idea was wrong).

So I joined, and now if I come sign-in, the thread doesn't exist, Missy is shown as a member but as having no topics and no posts.

BUT I can use the url I used before to see the thread finishing in October (but then it doesn't think I am a member).

Totally confused.

• RMweb Gold

It's fortunately alive and kicking, right here:

http://www.rmweb.co....-2mm-finescale/

- it's an RMweb blog (that land of fire where be dragons smile.gif ), with some pretty good modelling still going on!

PS: The old thread you were reading was on the old RMweb site. This is the new RMweb site, where some layout threads have been turned into blogs, while others continue to be threads.

PS: The old thread you were reading was on the old RMweb site. This is the new RMweb site, where some layout threads have been turned into blogs, while others continue to be threads.

Hmm. Old and new sites. The url that I was using was www.rmweb.co.uk, the same as this, so it can't really be a new site. I suppose it's a separate folder structure. So all the old threads just died one day did they, and everybody had start new ones? That must have been EXTREMELY irritating.

Anyway, thanks, though the blog way of doing it doesn't make it anything like as good a read. Now everything has to be read upwards, except when you get to an entry you have to go to the top and read downwards, then open the comments, then do it all again. Shame really - it was top class before.

Hmm. Old and new sites. The url that I was using was www.rmweb.co.uk, the same as this, so it can't really be a new site. I suppose it's a separate folder structure. So all the old threads just died one day did they, and everybody had start new ones? That must have been EXTREMELY irritating.

Not really - as we all knew it was happening.

It is new software and a new database as the old database is broken.

We are also on a new more powerful server so things happen faster and smoother.

So the sites are different but the url is the same. So you are right about the folder structure.

The old site (fondly named RMWeb3) will continue to exist as an archive so nothing is lost and there really is no need to copy everything over and duplicate it all. In fact doing so doesn't make any sense. But a link should be given if an old thread is continued.

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, thanks, though the blog way of doing it doesn't make it anything like as good a read. Now everything has to be read upwards, except when you get to an entry you have to go to the top and read downwards, then open the comments, then do it all again. Shame really - it was top class before.

A few people (not me!) put a lot of work into getting the new RMWeb working on a new server, partly paid for by brown envelopes sent to Andy Y. The whole thing is now much more stable than the old RMWeb was in its latter days, but, yes, the format has changed slightly, with more modern software, and if you delve into some recent threads you will find people are inevitably divided over for better or worse. Blogs are contentious. Fact is, though, that we still have a very fine site, which now doesn't crash, and how individual contributors use it is, as always, up to them. Some have used a specially-written routine to bring their stuff forward from the old RMWeb. Some have not. Keep watching and encourage those threads you enjoyed in the old RMWeb - and check out new stuff too. Heads you win - tails you can't lose!

OK, well I'm a new boy and it would be rude to rant. No doubt your webmaster is much loved, I guess he has done some good stuff for you. And if the db was bust then there was no choice but to do something. But that 'old' site is full of just wonderful content, and it's basically lost forever to posterity. All those uploaded shots of an obscure station in Lanarkshire taken by a member in 1958 - I know you can go and look, but I can't - only members can search, and it's not possible to join the old site (obviously). Even if you could search, effective searching requires knowledge of the basic site structure, and they are different - it's too hard for any user to master two different search systems. You can't expect the members to re-enter all their content to the new site (excuse me Mr Shakespeare, our server was broke, can you write all the plays again please - don't bother with the bad lines, just do the ones that posterity might want to read). Many of them have moved on now anyway. The thing is, it does look as if continuity of content was at the end of the list of jobs, but really it's the main thing. It's tricky to keep the content, but essential. A site like this isn't just a chat channel (even if most of the posts are just chat).

Sorry, book-burning has always been one of my pet hates.

You can search either site via Google: limit the search to either rmweb.co.uk/community for the new one, or rmweb.co.uk/forum

OK the pics being closed to guests is a bit of a killer but realistically the options are:

1/ let technology pass by and the site then becomes inaccessible through non-compatibility (like if I were handed a 3.5in floppy disk, it'd be useless to me)

2/ Andy the (volunteer) webmaster spends ridiculous time copying all that content across

3/ we the membership each spend hours copying it across. Even if we wanted to, non windows users have no chance of copying their content over (short of having sufficient savvy to write our own program, and I don't), and then it's only through the kind actions of Martin Wynne (again, unpaid) that the Windows boys and girls can copy stuff across.

It may however be that images are released to guests again if there is server capacity.

The basic point is - stuff on the web is transient. Witness numberless fotopic and flickr sites that have been lost to history. Get it while you can, if it's not in printed format.

• RMweb Gold
I know you can go and look, but I can't - only members can search, and it's not possible to join the old site (obviously).

Hi,

I'm sure if you asked Andy nicely, he would give you a sign-in name and password combo which you could use to sign in on Old RMweb. In due course he may even publish such a combo for non-members to use.

The old site is not going anywhere -- it will remain as a read-only archive. Many of the images are hot-linked here on New RMweb. Closing the old site would break those images.

regards,

Martin.

Archived