Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibition layout operating - Front or Rear

• RMweb Gold

Mudmagnet

I know where you are coming from! To get over this I have installed Big Bear (still fine tuning it) to allow some limit auto running either while I am shunting the yard or more probably gassing with the punters. I use an NCE power cab with the NCE USB interface connected to a notebook. Also gives me a cheap second throttle!

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

To be honest, the layout is simple enough and not really suited to shuttle back and forwards. However, it's an interesting idea for the future. I have found the NCE to be a great controller and being able to easily expand is a great feature.

Getting back to the OP though, I'm tending to lean towards the front operation myself and taking on board the comment about uncoupling, there is the possibility for getting the viewers involved. With my layout being a depot, there is not much in the way of wagon shunting, so limited uncoupling needed.

I also like to idea of being able to more easily involve the viewers in what I am doing to operate the layout and getting the children to operate the horn etc is also a great idea.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently working on my first exhibition layout (just don't hold your breath, OK?) and I'm doing neither. It's a roundy-roundy with ladder yard and kickback sidings behind the backscene, designed for two person operation (one to marshal the trains in the fiddle yard, one to work the controls).

I have set the control position at one end, where the operator can interact with the public without interrupting their view, and can also see along the length of the layout in case of any problems, ignorant gits poking things, etc.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting topic as with my tiny, new, layout I realised about a month ago that I had the same dilemma.

It has a debut exhibition booking (MOMING 13th Aug) and I had intended initially to operate it from stage right/LH end as viewed, as I did with my Classic Train Set HD 3-rail layout. Occasional forays round the back to change a train cassette would allow for stock changes. When running Classic Train Set I found that position worked well as I could interact directly with the public and operate the layout (roundy roundy).

However on this new small layout (end to end) that would add a need for 2ft 6 to 3ft for operator space therefore almost doubling the 3ft 3" (1 metre) linear length so not practical. Result is therefore that it will have to be rear operated.

I add the post as the overall footprint of a layout has to be considered as well as the aesthetic issues of operator position and if you have a back operator too, perhaps for stock changing, layout depth may become a factor.

Hi brightspark

Thanks for input. I looked at AJ's a few months ago, but not seen anything about DCC operation though.

I will admit that I have yet to go DCC but there have been a few articles on DCC operated AJ's and a few items in the forum pages. Remote uncoupling is an attraction for me to DCC. Nigel Cliffe has a feature on Youtube showing a DCC AJ in operation.

It is discussed further in the AJ book published by the Scalefour society.

• RMweb Gold

I will admit that I have yet to go DCC but there have been a few articles on DCC operated AJ's and a few items in the forum pages. Remote uncoupling is an attraction for me to DCC. Nigel Cliffe has a feature on Youtube showing a DCC AJ in operation

It is discussed further in the AJ book published by the Scalefour society.

Thanks brightspark. Will be worthwhile looking for this book.

Having operated Orchard Road at a couple of weekends now, just a few comments.

Operation of the layout is using an NCE Powercab, with points operated off the controller via a MERG accessory decoder, so giving the flexibility to operate from anywhere around the layout. Being a depot layout, there was not much call for shunting wagons, but was still able to manually uncouple fairly easily. Whilst standing at the front, close to the fiddle yard end, I was able to easily chat to the visitors. Some were interested in the DCC operation and was easy to shown them the controls etc.

I don't think that this would be so easy when there are several people on front of the layout, but having a long enough cable on the NCE, I can move to the rear of the layout easily.

Overall seemed to work quite well, so when space allows will operate in a similar way again. If space is tight, then rear operation is the only option as I will always need to get behind the layout during an exhibition.

What about wireless operation?

What I would like is a wireless control but pointwork/signals controlled from proper signal boxes or hand operated yard points (pull switches Iain Rice style on front of layout).

Perhaps those with DCC knowledge can enlighten us dullards on the pros and cons.

Archived