Truck Gen Required

I've just (impulse) purchased an Artic I hope will not look out of place on my late '90s era layout. It's a Schuco DAF 95XF in rather natty TNT Global Express, Logistics & Mail livery.

Apart from the fact it's a left hooker and I strongly suspect it to be in HO scale, can anyone help me with details on the prototype, specifically what date these lorries were introduced? I can't post a pic right now as I'm on the mobile having a pint.

Thanks in advance, C6T.

The Daf 95 was originally introduced in the late 80s or early 90s.

This morphed into the 95XF with a bit of cosmetic tweeking in the mid-late 90s, so should be ideal for you. For some reason I have '97 as the rough time it was launched

In the mid 2000s DAF launched the XF105, again based on the same shell with cosmetic updates.

There was more to it, but from a railway modeller's point of view it sums it up

HTH

jo

I've just (impulse) purchased an Artic I hope will not look out of place on my late '90s era layout. It's a Schuco DAF 95XF in rather natty TNT Global Express, Logistics & Mail livery.

Apart from the fact it's a left hooker and I strongly suspect it to be in HO scale, can anyone help me with details on the prototype, specifically what date these lorries were introduced? I can't post a pic right now as I'm on the mobile having a pint.

Thanks in advance, C6T.

I maybe wrong, but I had an idea that the Schuco stuff was 1/72 scale.

Please feel free to correct me if required...

Stu

Many thanks for the replies so far.

I attach a piccie of said lorry posed in the Scenecraft unit next to some 'REAL-X' 1/72 cars. The truck looks OK height wise, it just looks a bit narrow when viewed head-on, and that is easily remedied! Even if it is 1/87, as long as I don't put it next to a similar OO scale vehicle, we should be fine.

Most importantly, Jo's information means it shouldn't be out of place on 'Castle Fenton'.

post-8937-0-10337200-1304851618_thumb.jpg

C6T.

I attach a piccie of said lorry posed in the Scenecraft unit next to some 'REAL-X' 1/72 cars. The truck looks OK height wise, it just looks a bit narrow when viewed head-on, and that is easily remedied! Even if it is 1/87, as long as I don't put it next to a similar OO scale vehicle, we should be fine.

That does look like 1/87. It isn't too bad as a background item as long as you don't park the cars too close.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

A freakishly similar picture to mine is here. A good website for research purposes too (delete address back to Len Rogers for homepage).

I've just had a browse of the Homepages of the various model truck manufacturers and all their stuff seems far too modern for the 96-99 period I'm doing. If the 51 numberplates came into use in 2001 then a swift mental calculation means an W or X prefix is the latest I can have(?). Either way, all the models I have inspected at shows certainly sport the post-2001 style of 'plate.

Funnily enough the only other truck I almost bought was a "Willi Betz" Mercedes artic, again, strongly suspected to be in HO scale!

Any more help on available (OO-1/72) models that would suit the immediate pre-millenium period will be gratefully received.

C6T.

What compounds the issue here is for OO scale (1/76th), not only is the truck underscale (1/87th), but the cars are over (1/72nd) which highlights more the differences in scale more than it would do, if either the truck or the cars were to true 1/76th scale.

Many thanks for the replies so far.

Most importantly, Jo's information means it shouldn't be out of place on 'Castle Fenton'.

post-8937-0-10337200-1304851618_thumb.jpg

C6T.

The Automaxx MAN F2000 in 1.72 scale would fit your bill , a very 1990s truck available cheap as chips in Bargain shops (£3)or ebay , well detailed metal cab available with loads of different bodies . I personally think they are nearer 1.76 than 1.72 , anyway they sit well with 1.76 vehicles.

Heres a couple of mine with EFE models for scale comparison. Sorry about the pic quality , in the first pic the front ones are unmodified and the rear ones have all been modded,cut the cab down to a day cab on the mixer, maybe make an 8 wheeler next project, just painting wheel centres transforms them. :rolleyes:

post-3430-0-59713600-1307005713_thumb.jpg

post-3430-0-46119200-1307005726_thumb.jpg

post-3430-0-75959700-1307005782_thumb.jpg

Thanks jcb, I'll keep a look out for those.

MIB, I believe it could be a limited edition promotional paint job slapped on their existing tooling. I liked the look of it too much to worry about scale and that I'm afraid!

C6T.

Archived