Model Rail 157

dibber25

Interesting to see that next month Spencer Pollard, the Editor of Military in Scale,is Modelling/weathering a class 26. I look forward to that article. His military modelling skills are superb.

This 26 will not disappoint, there was quite a little crowd in awe of his workmanship when I photographed it on the portastudio at Warley. These military guys who are moving into railways really are the ones to watch when it comes to taking weathering and patina to the next level.

Looks like we need to review our MR Live publicity. However, on the Exhibition Diary page it does say its at Barrow Hill.

I'll endeavour to get Chesterfield added to all the future 'plugs' and I'll ask our website people to correct the dates.

You're quite right - we should have made it much easier. We've let our 'leave no questions unanswered' motto slip this time, for which I apologise.

CHRIS LEIGH

Looks like we need to review our MR Live publicity. However, on the Exhibition Diary page it does say its at Barrow Hill.

Chris

That's not in the Diary - it's not in sequence - it looks like an advert and is visually skipped over.

A good edition as always, mine arrived today, brilliant, co-incided with a day off!

This 26 will not disappoint, there was quite a little crowd in awe of his workmanship when I photographed it on the portastudio at Warley. These military guys who are moving into railways really are the ones to watch when it comes to taking weathering and patina to the next level.

I did some 1:35 and 1:25 years ago, mainly detailed Tamiya and italieri, superb stuff.

Yup we have much to learn, Francois Verlinden........etc etc etc!

Mind you, I guarentee theres some would find fault with even his work!:yes:

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't fault Velinden's workmanship and skill but I was never happy with that style of finishing (rather than "weathering"). It seemed to be designed to highlight detail and make the actual model look impressive in the flesh (plastic) and in photos. However his models didn't look that much like the AFVs on campaign that I saw in my reference books.

It doesn't get much better than that does it! Chris,Ben, sign him up!

A great coup for MR!

And having spent more than a little time around TK's,MK's etc its stunning. :yes:

Any dissenters, see me in the playground at breaktime!

..., hopefully Ben and Chris will encourage more of his work because as you will see, weathering is far more than dirt sprayed on the bogies and a bit of black around the exhausts.....

Tsh, another illusion shattered :lol:

I assume this 26 is the Heljan model, what livery is it in?

Did you hear that loud clunk noise? That was my jaw hitting the ground after looking at Spence's MK.

That first shot if you put it against a real background I would defy anyone to tell that it is a model.

Fantastic work, those pallets as well.... un-bloody-believeable.

Cheers, Mark

I can remember when Alan Williams 'weathered' a Wills 'N' (I think it was) with a brush and some dirty turps. It was the first time I'd seen a model loco made dirty. I still have my Rowney bottle full of dirty turps but now I just use it for rinsing out brushes! Modelling has moved along a fair bit in 50 years!

CHRIS LEIGH

I saw that JLTR class 26 at Warley and it blow me away, I sat looking at it for a full half hour, one of the best weathering jobs I have ever seen.

When I spoke to Darren sharwood (think that was his name) he told me the chap that did it said it was one of the hardest weathering he had ever done, and said that he thought he could have done it better next time .

if it was on a bit of track with some good scenery you would have been hard pushed to not know it was a real class 26, just superb!

Funny you should say that about military painters ,before i got into model railways thats what i did and still do for the last 30 odd years.

Darren

Archived