Garden railway - Elvinley Junction

Workbench:

Pinning track, Loco maintenance,

Air compressors supertest

DRS Class 20 conversion

George's toolkit

Old Blarney layout

Q&A

Model Rail shop - find out which Sentinel has already sold out!

Exhibition Diary

Backscene

Plus there should be an announcement in there about the joint RMweb/Model Rail 2011 Challenge.

Probably on the News pages - I don't recall proof-reading them. Hopefully someone else did! I did the Easter/Royal Wedding holiday trick and had an 11-day break, so I didn't see everything that went into this issue.

CHRIS LEIGH

did I not have a (short) post here already? ADMIN - yes it was deleted by one of my colleagues as being pointless

anyway looking forward to the bit on the toolkits and that layout that 156 had a preview of with the container crane

• RMweb Gold

Plus there should be an announcement in there about the joint RMweb/Model Rail 2011 Challenge.

I'm guessing you'll be posting these details on here on the magazine issue date, May 19th ?

I'm guessing you'll be posting these details on here on the magazine issue date, May 19th ?

As soon as the subs copies land, probably the 16th or 17th.

As soon as the subs copies land, probably the 16th or 17th.

It went to press on time after a bit of late evening work to make up for all those lovely bank holidays. I think they call it 'pay back time'!

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Subs copies should be starting to appear.... here are a couple of quick snaps....

And from a quick scan through it has got some even better ones accompanying several of the articles. Overall it seems to have carried the 'new look' forward well but we now seem to have even Chris Leigh setting cryptic clues (but at least he's awarding a prize for solving hissmile3.gif).

And from a quick scan through it has got some even better ones accompanying several of the articles. Overall it seems to have carried the 'new look' forward well but we now seem to have even Chris Leigh setting cryptic clues (but at least he's awarding a prize for solving hissmile3.gif).

First correct answer already received, so no need to e-mail me. However, in case rmwebbers want to have a guess, I won't reveal the answer here until 'pressed' to do so.

CHRIS LEIGH

First correct answer already received, so no need to e-mail me. However, in case rmwebbers want to have a guess, I won't reveal the answer here until 'pressed' to do so.

CHRIS LEIGH

How quickly did your inbox fill up with answers? :laugh: :laugh:

How quickly did your inbox fill up with answers? :laugh: :laugh:

You might well laugh! Very quickly. Didn't think there would be quite so many blokes who recognise ***** *******. Still it was just a bit of fun really. The scenic work has moved on, now, and the harbour scene will feature a bit of inspiration from the 1992 movie 'Wind'. "The big boats get the glory, but the small boats make the sailor...."

CHRIS LEIGH

Wind had some of the best racing sailing footage I've ever seen, not a bad film either.

Yes. I've modelled one of the 'international 14s' copied from the movie. A chance to try out some techniques with Woodland Scenics Water Effects and some more adventurous modification of Preiser figures. Don't know if it will work, though.

Dave Lowery is still on the team, same as ever, but his pic is on the 'Workbench' opening page now.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Well done for putting proper Trackplans of the featured layouts back in; among other things they help to make sense of some of the camera angles !!

And also thank you for organising another N gauge competition - keep 'em coming...

BTW, was there an announcement of who won the "Golant-esque" Farish layout pack from a few issues ago?

Well done for putting proper Trackplans of the featured layouts back in; among other things they help to make sense of some of the camera angles !!

And also thank you for organising another N gauge competition - keep 'em coming...

BTW, was there an announcement of who won the "Golant-esque" Farish layout pack from a few issues ago?

We don't normally announce competition winners.

CHRIS LEIGH

I often wonder how the graphics chaps work out some of my wierd camera angles - but they do get them right 99% of the time!

Chris,

In Q& A a Mr. Harwood asked if there was an anoloque sound unit and the reply from Richard Foster stated that there was no proprietary system. There is The Modelex steam chuffer which comes with a speaker and is linked to the controller. It is only for anoloque control. Just looking at their website http://modelexmodelrailways.co.uk/ it costs £32.25

All right, all right - you all whetted by appetite - so I bought it at Sainsburys this evening.

I'm now on page ten. I'm attracted (more than attracted) to the "LAYOUTS CONFIRMED FOR MODEL RAIL LIVE" feature - which has mention of Chris Nevard's Brewhouse Quay.

Can do the dates - like it. You've really got me fired up now.

Can I do the distance? Where is it?

Errrmmmmmm? Read it twice, no, make that three times. Not a clue.

OK, I'm clever, so I go on the web. Google for Model Rail Live and get all the 2010 stuff (and that doesn't tell me where it is either). I want 2011!

So back to the mag, page 3. Does the editorial tell me anything?

Read the editorial.

Read it again carefully.

Yes - so right at the bottom there's a link to modelraillive.co.uk

So go there - does it tell me where it is?

YES! success. It says "Model Rail Live 17th & 18th September 2011, Barrow Hill Roundhouse."

WTF is Barrow Hill Roundhouse?

Still clever, I google Barrow Hill Roundhouse and does that tell me?

Does it ****.

to be fair the logo says, in LOW contrast, where it is, but only find that after coming back several times.

Have to go to the Contact Us bit to find out. That it's Chesterfield. I can make it. Do I really want to now?

And then go back while writing this to the Model Rail live website and "Visitor informaton" to find:

MODEL RAIL LIVE takes place on September 25/26th 2010 ...

C'mon. guys. There's few 'average punters' going to be as tenacious as this to find out something that you should be telling me in my face.

Unless you've heard about me and don't want me to come, that is. :)

Archived