peco n gauge track help

First up I'll be using both old and new Grafar products aswell as Dapol stuff. so my thinking is code 80. however i need a double slip. my understanding is they are in code 55 only is this correct and will it cause many issues having code 55 and 80 together?

any planning help would be much appreciated.

I would strongly suggest using code 55 throughout. It looks better and is much stronger as the bottom 30% of the rail is buried in the sleeper plastic. You will not have any problems using old GraFar stock on it due to the way it is made. The buried rail means that the chairs are just cosmetic. The upshot of this is that even old stock with deep flanges will run quite happily on code 55.

Personally I think that code 80 is fit only for fiddle yards (if at all).

fair enough. i think nothing will be older than late Poole farish

.... besides if you find the odd bit of stock with flanges that are troublesome you'll probably be able to easily change them for the later finer profile ones. It's the other makes of code 55 track (like Atlas) that you'll have problems with. Peco code 55 is cunningly designed as already mentioned.

It's probably worthwhile considering changing the older wheels anyway as they look quite horrendous and shiny; unlike the later blackened ones. Replacement wheels are quite cheap and although Bachmann (and dealers/stockists) are out of stock of the coach wheels other makes are available and will fit. The NGS sells them; if you're not a member it's well worth joining.

G.

Archived