dseagull

Well, it's seemed an extrordinarily long week at work - what's that, the first 5 day week for 4?!

Despite this, some evidence of modelling is emerging. Tonight, the Wills signal box kit has been liberated from the last 'we really must unpack that' box that remains after the move. It is currently sitting on the table - next to a rattle can of 'Creme De La Creme' enamel paint, which I plan to use as me and Wills (and Airfix, for that matter...) plastic do not get on - no matter how much I mix the paint, the paint seems not to 'stick' to the kit, leaving a shoddy looking finish.

Hopefully then, by the end of the weekend, I will have at least one baseboard of the three built, and a signal box kit.

It might not seem like much, but considering the only 'modelling' I've done for about a year is with pen and paper/mouse and PC software, it's a milestone. Anyway - from little acorns...

Progress!

Board 1 built, and signal box interior getting there...

Just need one more piece of boarding for the interior of the shed, and then I can get brackets on the wall to really start things moving.

It's been a busy, if frustrating, week.

Firstly, our internet connection decided to go 'GPRS Only' on Tuesday - We've been taking a trip back in time and connecting at practically dial-up speeds ever since...

However, one board is completed and installed in the shed, and the lever frame is installed in the floor of the signal box. The rest of the boards are scheduled for completion tomorrow.

Getting there...

Cheers Ash!

Boards now completed, bar the small removable section across the door to complete the circuit.

Signal box lever frame & floor primed, and ready for the next stage of construction once dry. An excellent weekend of progress :)

Hi mate,

I don't know if it helps with your operations or not, but I've seen a pic somewhere that shows a pick-up goods train approaching lewes from the seaford line and the blurb states that the train picked-up at various places along the way from seaford hence why there was 3 guard/brake vans scattered in the consist. admittedly this pic was from the early 60's so this type of movement might have finished by the time period you are going for.

Kev

Hi Stuart,

I've found the pic I was referring to, it was taken south of lewes where the lines split for newhaven and polegate and shows a K mogul with 2 goods wagons and 2 (not 3) brake vans. If you are interested in it is is Plate 25 in "Steaming Through East Sussex" by Peter Hay (Middleton Press ISBN 0 906520 22 3). It should be back in Hailsham library in a few days, once I've finished with it :laugh: :laugh: .

Kev

Thanks Kevin, very useful - will have a look out for it!

The river is giving me 'issues'.

It was a fundamental part of my original idea, and remains so 'in the minds eye', but it's the practicality of it which is giving me problems. The baseboard is a 'solid state' construction - MDF top on PSE framework. If I want to have the river coming where I originally planned it, or swap the position of road and river on the latest plan, I will have to do some fairly major alterations to the (completed but otherwise untouched) baseboard in that area.

Unless....

How practical would making the removable section into 'the river bit' be? - That's not built yet, so there is no reason why I couldn't build a bridge on a 'dropped' section of baseboard. It would make life easier in some ways, although would force a slight scenic rethink and a - probably demountable - backscene extending most of the way up the shed door.

If it's not too late, how about a one inch layer of insulation foam on top of the boards ? This would not only allow you a cut out for the river, but acts as superb sound deadening.

gerrynick

Not too late at all - but the conundrum there is trying to find the right balance between thick enough for a decent river, and not too thick that the Tortoise point throw wires work! - It would be the ideal solution though, really.

• RMweb Premium

How about keeping the door river idea and having a stream on the main board. A drop board in the door way would be stronger and allow as much of a river valley as you want. Fastening the backscene to the door shouldn't be much trouble.

There's no problem with point control on a foam base, just lay your track on 3mm MDF. Point control, either electrical or mechanical is then fixed to this....stops the track floating sideways as well !

Sorry, I should have mentioned this originally

Keep going, the more Sussex-based models the better !

gerrynick

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Gerry & Mick, both good ideas.

Boards are now all built, sealed with emulsion and half covered with cork tiles. What I am planning to do, however - based on a possible slight revision of the plan to end in a terminus rather than a continous run (still in the 'should I/shouldn't I' decision making process at present!) - is to put extra battening in 5 or so inches apart, roughly following the 'centre' of the river/stream, screw a spare piece of MDF to this as a 'base' and then create the riverbed using chicken wire, covered with Modroc.

On top of that, will be a river itself, created using this kit from Scenic Express, which uses the absolutley stunning Envirotex (search 'Arizona Midland' on the old forum)

As well as the 'heavy stuff' of baseboard tarting up, there has also been some progress on the signal box this weekend, with the lever frame painted, and the instrument shelf OMWB at present.

Little work since the early part of the week, however I have been playing around with the Terminus idea (possibly due to the fact that the removable section fills me with dread and it will allow for longer train lengths). That's my excuse, anyway. More realistic is that it can be blamed on my terminal indecision and faffing!

Anyway, here is that plan - virtual pint for anyone who can guess which real location the trackplan is pretty much (Lost one siding and gained a factory headshunt) an exact copy of...

post-723-0-76451700-1307809955_thumb.png

i like it ! i think i like it better than the roundy roundy :) i can picture a 4-cep in the platform now :)

Cheers Ash. It's odd, the original concept called for a continuous run, but I think a reality check needed to take place with regard to the size and site of what I had available.

More balanced? (Offstage & scenic captions as before)

post-723-0-80967800-1307814443_thumb.png

• 3 months later...

The latest incarnation...

So it's all change again.

Why?

Couldn't fit what I wanted in after doing some 'dry run' testing (full scale mockup, the pros call it!)

So:

The Theory

The Santona book 'Model Railway Planning & Design' contained a cracker of a layout theme - 'Hospital Grounds'. This, combined with a desire to do something 'a bit different' and the fact that I live within walking distance of the former Hellingly Hospital Railway, as well as the 'Headshunt' trackplan referenced earlier, have combined to produce the following basis for a layout.

The Fiction

As one of the large 'Mental insitutions' dotted throughout the Country, the Asylum at <To Be Named(!)> was provided with a railway - a short stub from <To Be Named> Station on the <To be Researched> Branch of the <To Be Researched When I decide what I want to run(!)> line , operated by the <TBD (ex)-Big 4 company> . Due to the remote location of the asylum, and the size of local roads, the coal for the boilers at the hospital is transported by rail, as are staff and visitors. In addition, as part of the deal to allow construction of the line over local farmland, a siding has been provided close to a local farm, to allow for the onward distribution by rail of seasonal vegetable traffic, and the delivery of farm supplies throughout the rest of the year. Motive power and passenger stock for the staff/visitors trains are provided by the Hospital authorities, but coal wagons and vans for the vegetable traffic, as well as any other workings as required, are property of <TBD (ex)-Big 4 company>, with the Hospital management required to maintain the line to an adequate standard to enable these to operate. Due to an increase in visitor numbers to the hospital, as well as a desire to increase comfort for staff and visitors, the former maintenance shed/workshop at the hospital end of the line has been converted into a covered platform for passengers, meaning that a small shed/workshop has been constructed at the <To Be Named Station> end of the line.

The Reality

As explained, my dream of a BR, 70's layout set firmly in the Sussex Countryside just doesn't work in an 8 x 6 shed - it was just too cramped, and 'the minds eye' view didn't at all match up to what it actually looked like when laid out. So it was back to the drawing board, and something a bit more realistic for the space.

To resolve this, I've unashamedly nicked a track plan from the excellent 'Headshunt' Layout featured in a recent Model Rail, and carried it on round the shed to form a continuous run.

Full Trackplan will be here tonight (to be uploaded later)

What is pleasing though is that the shed is now fully wired and operational, and indeed, it works - I've had my trusty Bachmann 25 trundling around the shed for most of the weekend.

The river is cut out, the 'lift up' section is (loosely) in place (as in, it's there, and it can be removed, but needs some fettling) - and I've begun the task which I've always found troublesome, soldering feeds to the track.

There are still some substantial 'I's to be dotted and 'T's to be crossed, but the basics are there - now it's just a case of deciding whereabouts in the country I want to locate the place - and what suitably 'interesting' motive power and internal passenger stock I can use.

Stick with me. I will build a layout one day....!

As promised, the (Basic, I've not added many of the scenic elements to this one) Trackplan

post-723-0-80490300-1318280739.png

(Everything below the 4' mark on the vertical axis is off-stage)

It does work.

Well, it did. Seems to have developed a short since I began the hated soldering of feeds to track : :scratchhead:

Short circuit fixed, Ropey points now replaced, and all runs very smoothly now :)

As part of these jobs, I've amended the plan slightly - the small radius point on the scenic board is now a curved point, which makes for some nice, flowing trackwork, and the top of the three long fiddle yard roads has been flipped. The latter was primarily due to what I had to hand, but it also aids access to the back.

Whilst there will no doubt be some playing/fettling before then, the next major job is to fix the track to the baseboard and begin installation of the point motors. Also a trip to the Uckfield show with Mrs-to-be Seagull. Hoping to pick up some bits - I'd like some old 4/6 wheel coaches for the Hospital stock for a start...

Also a trip to the Uckfield show with Mrs-to-be Seagull.

Hi Stu,

I'll be on club duty all weekend at the show (or if I'm really lucky on loan to Eldavo helping operate Cramdin Yard), hopefully we can grab a chat and put a face to screen name.

Kev

Hi Stu,

I'll be on club duty all weekend at the show (or if I'm really lucky on loan to Eldavo helping operate Cramdin Yard), hopefully we can grab a chat and put a face to screen name.

Kev

Hopefully Kev! - I'll be there on the Sunday (Football on Saturday) - Will probably be the only person there in a Hailsham Town FC tracksuit top, you won't miss me!

Cheers Ash.

Brief update - The hardboard for the backscene has been curved and installed, and Tortoise Point Motors/Hare Decoders relocated from the parents' loft. They need to be installed next - as well as fixing the track to the baseboard.

Archived