dseagull

You could say last weekend's list was over-ambitious. Truth is - the fantastic weather led to a weekend of gardening, so little time for the shed!

I did though manage to get points 1 and 2 complete, and am happy with the results, so it wasn't a complete write-off!

This (3-day, thanks Flexi Time!) weekend though has started well, with the purchase and completion of the weighbridge and hut for the Yard.

It's a Ratio kit, painting is via my usual methods/colours.

post-723-0-29343200-1333128117.jpg

Not bad workrate either, considering we got home from Eastbourne at half 1!

Let's see if I can get items 3-6 started at least over the next couple of days!

Did you start building on the way home from the shop ????? :O

Regards Trevor .... :sungum:

Did you start building on the way home from the shop ????? :O

Regards Trevor .... :sungum:

Not quite, but it didn't last long in the packet once we'd had a cuppa! - To be honest the weather helped, I sprayed the 'mortar' and it was bone dry within 5 minutes!

It's been a bit of a frustrating weekend though, after that great start - I woke up with a bit of a painful back on Saturday morning, but carried on working regardless - the yard in the shed now has an all-over coat of concrete and the earth is on the land by the river - that was about all I could manage before I realised that it was taking me five minutes of agony to stand up and sit down. Doctor this morning prescribed strong painkillers and light movement only - so climbing into a shed which isn't tall enough for me to stand up straight in is out of the question, especially as I want to go to work tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...

As you may have read, I have been out of action for a week with a back problem as referenced in last Sunday's post - after a frustrating week off in which no work on the layout was possible (as much as I might have wanted to, I couldn't physically get into the shed for most of it! - must make that 'lifting section' actually lift...!)

I did, however, manage to get in there tonight for a few minutes poking around and reflecting on what is still to do - and what has been done. Tried to be clever as a result - here's a picture which shows considerable progress compared to the last 'as much as the board as I can fit in the shot' pictures posted a few months back...

November 2011

post-723-0-56263300-1333996320.jpg

April 2012 (Apologies that this shot is a little out of focus, was playing with modes on the camera to try and correct colours!)

post-723-0-40676300-1333995974.jpg

The glossy/wet patch is drying Railmatch Sleeper Grime, sprayed quickly over to provide a base for the 'between the platforms' colouring and detailing.

Getting there.

Cheers Ash!

Off this afternoon for a chiropractors appointment, but taking advantage of the early finish, I popped into the shed and stuck the radio on, and started having a bit of a poke about.

Half hour later, I'd got some serious work done, applying grass to the 'banks'.

Couple of photos:

post-723-0-41732300-1334241848.jpg

post-723-0-03489700-1334241864.jpg

Really must sort some better lighting in the shed!

Cast your mind back a few days to post 129 - or simply scroll up a bit, it'll be easier!

I posted a 'then and now' shot which wasn't really at a comparable angle.

This one is, and shows a lot of this weekend's work: It's about 8 years too early for that Mk1 Transit, but it gives a good sense of scale and will do till it can be replaced by something more in keeping.

post-723-0-80594500-1334512933.jpg

One end of the yard (Still need to do that roof!)...

The paint which forms the surface of the yard is Wickes 'Stone' emulsion. Currently light enough to be 'on trial' whilst I decide if it's a good enough representation of concrete!

post-723-0-62182900-1334513757.jpg

And the middle...

post-723-0-47519000-1334513786.jpg

And finally for tonight - The Riverbank and bridges. Riverbank is mostly done - expect to see a couple of nice big Weeping Willows hanging out over the river - they should come next really!

post-723-0-02266400-1334513922.jpg

Still, very pleased with this weekend's progress and I am pleasantly suprised by how easy planting the 'grass' using the 'Hairy Cigar' method has been!

It was only when I was having a brief tidy up at the end of the weekend working session that I thought I should check how a Mk1 coach looked being propelled (by a Mk1 finger) through the new platforms.

It was only then did I realise that the platform surface I had lovingly carved from 40thou Plasticard, based on the previous Wills edging effort, before mounting on the MJT 'legs' was too wide - by the distance of the supporting legs/fence posts at the back...... :fool:

After a brief swear, I gave up and came inside to post the above photos. Tuesday night, a workaround hit me - and tonight I've been able to proof myself right!

Taking the 'back legs' off (as with Polegate, they would have been hidden by fencing in any case) gave me the correct width platforms again - and, for the princely sum of 38p, B&Q produced a length of very thin, very flexible - but solid enough to take small screws - stripwood. This, run along the backscene at Platform height, produced a 'ridge' for the platform surface to sit on - and once it's recieved a blast of Sleeper Grime to make it blend in to the darkness under the platform, it will be practically invisible.

Think that's what you call digging yourself out of a hole....!

post-723-0-11876600-1335211970.jpg

Some progress this weekend saw, in no particular order, saw the main platform secured and the fencing, seen balanced in previous shots, fixed properly - after the backscene had been given a coat of sky blue paint - as well as some more 'hairy cigar' grass on the previously untouched area at the back of the layout and right at the front too. The planking on the bridge is temporary - it's part of a Blair Line Grade Crossing I picked up years ago, probably at DEMU Showcase. Apologies that this picture isn't overly good - the camera lens shoved through the 'hole' in the backscene gives this 'view down the line' - not something you'll see normally!.

post-723-0-08693200-1335210485.jpg

What you can see above though is some work on the other end of the layout - some tufts of grass in and around the hospital platform, which will eventually get signs and the other paraphanalia which make all the difference.

So what's next? - Well, you can see it here. The area between the main and hospital platforms is currently untouched, save for a blast of paint - as is the area between the hospital platform and the goods shed road. Not quite sure what to do here - a coating of DAS and then paint seems likely, however. Also the other end of the layout needs some attention - compared to the 'river end', it's practically untouched, with just ballasted track and the Goods Yard covered in painted DAS. Current favourite for a scenic break is a level crossing with a couple of cottages nearby, and the track curving round behind that rather than the tunnel mouth I've had kicking around for a while!

It's been an interesting afternoon in the shed, with very little work done, but instead a lot of moving things around (3D Planning, I think they call it!)

As a result, pretty much everything in these photos is a placeholder (Most) of this stuff will not be used really! - dug out of bits boxes and fixed in place with nothing more than blu tack for now. Apologies for that and the lighting in the shed which hasn't helped these photos.

One thing we do now have though is a road, leading to a level crossing. The road surface is DAS Clay, painted (initially) with Wickes Slate emulsion. As for that house on the right? That's explained here

post-723-0-28798900-1335719682.jpg

Once this was in place, it led to some fiddling - trying to work out how I wanted the Goods Yard. I quite like the idea of a longish bank, with a couple of staithes for the coal merchant on 'ground level' at one end and a lockup at the other. There will also be a crane/hoist on this.

post-723-0-49517400-1335719704.jpg

You'll note that the Hospital Platform has moved....

post-723-0-37586400-1335719714.jpg

And this is why. If I move the hospital platform from it's current position in the loop, and fence off a small path to it from the road, it seems, to my eye anyway, to 'fit' better.

Would be interested to know if it's just me!

Decision made!

I'm going to go with the 'Goods Yard/Hospital Platform' as above - however, I've also solve a few issues that I've caused myself at the same time.

How?

http://www.disused-s...ly/index4.shtml

This picture shows that the timber baulks which once supported the hospital platform remained in position for many years (that's a BR Era photo I'd suggest) after the platform itself has gone. What if Horsebridge was the junction for the projected but never built Ouse Valley line? - This route, had it been built, would have run through the hamlet in reality.

My revised history suggests that the LBSCR did have to build the line, despite delaying tactics, but once it became clear that it would never be profitable, abandoned it early on and dismantled the majority of the infrastructure relating to it at the junction station of Horsebridge. The track itself survived - the siding to Hellingly Hospital joined just north of the river - so this was retained as a headshunt to the Goods Yard at Horsebridge and the link with the privately operated hospital line.

So:

The bit between the main platform and the goods loop will be overgrown, with the baulks that once supported the Ouse Valley Line platform just poking out from beneath the grass.

The headshunt for the Goods Yard will be the Ouse Valley 'stub' to avoid having to send BR Stock down what I'd originally planned as the Hospital only line.

Unless anyone can think of a better proposal, at least? ;)

Some more work on the layout today with a Wills Pillbox bought, built and painted in the space of about an hour. I've chopped out a bit of the Celotex bank to accomodate this, which now sits nicely into the scenery. It's a bit 'exposed' at the moment - a couple of trees around and perhaps some International Models Ivy growing up and over it, I think it will really look the part. The 'killzone' would cover both rail bridges and the road bridge, by the way, hence the placement. You can also see the first of the fencing installed today.

post-723-0-63941700-1336242510.jpg

At the other end some wooden coffee stirrers, my usual mix of Noch & Woodlands Scenics static grass (Which isn't all one colour - that'll be the camera!), a few Silfor tufts and some Noch flowering tufts have combined to produce some scrubby land where a platform once stood - the coffee stirrers cut into suitable lengths and painted with Sleeper Grime, over a bed of the same mix of ballast I've used across the layout.

post-723-0-61299100-1336242519.jpg

post-723-0-11297600-1336243186.jpg

Day 3 of a 4 day weekend, and some more work done today.

The main focus has been the loading dock area - and another slight alteration. If I put the Wills Goods Store (I've also bought another one of these as it needs some more delicate painting than the old one in the pictures above got several years back!) side on to the track, set back into the dock itself, rather than end on as above, I not only give the road into the yard a little more breathing space, but it also looks a lot better.

WIth this in mind, I set to and started building the foundations for the dock whilst the Mrs to be was watching The Voice earlier. Using some of the leftover stripwood from the platform-rescue project described in post 133, I built a 'frame', slightly smaller than the dock actually is, to act as a solid backing for some Wills Platform edging and Victoria paving - rescued from the first platform that I built for this layout. I've also rescued the ramp from that platform to give a route up to the loading dock. The edging is (well, will be! - two of several bits are stuck so far) then glued to the wooden frame, the paving laid over the top and fixed down and any gaps (actually I'm impressed - I'm using recycled materials and there aren't many) can then be sorted with a touch of filler.

The final stage, which will probably be a job for next weekend (Wedding preperation permitting, only 35 days tomorrow!!), will be to bed this into the yard - that Stone emulsion on the bare cork produces a nice effect, but I know that I can do better - so it'll be out with the DAS to produce the yard (Which should also help get rid of the 'floating building' effect that the Hospital 'shed' & workshop and Weighbridge have at the moment!). At this point I'll probably try yet another Wickes tester pot, as I'm not convinced that the 'Slate' is the right colour for a road - looks a little dark?

Anyway - no pictures tonight, as it's very much work in progress with a lot of placeholders still there, but hopefully tomorrow.... - we'll see. I always said this one wouldnt be a race to a finish, and more about enjoying the journey, learning from my mistakes and improving my skills as I go along - and I'm certainly enjoying it so far! :)

(Would be nice to have something to run on it though, if you all want to buy us a wedding present ;) )

Cheers Ash, will do!

Here's an in progress shot to start you off, showing the entrance to the yard.

post-723-0-98790000-1336595135.jpg

Few things jump out as obviously unfinished - the shed is a placeholder, the walling supporting the dock is recycled from the platform, which was perhaps the first time I'd tried drybrushing - I've definatley improved at that since! . The paving also isn't secured, the yard isn't painted, that house is still there... anyway, plenty to do!

Well, there goes another weekend!

Kev

Later in the summer sounds good - Progress will slow soon, Wedding coming up early next month and still have a fair bit to do first!

Witherbrow (Ash)

Best way to learn how to use the DAS technique is to take it from the place I did - http://nevardmedia.b...sh-ballast.html

Chris' work is incredible, and you can do little wrong with a wander through his blog - most important, certainly if you are using it to represent ballast, is the 'stippling' with a paintbrush. Wizard do a pack of two blue nylon (I think) brushes and a foam block thing for a solitary pound, perfect for this kind of job!

However, if you want to do what I've done and use it to represent hard standing at the side of the track, then read on...

Firstly, paint the area you want to cover with a light coat of PVA (or Copydex, either works). I then used chunks of DAS, torn off the block (Remember to wrap it again afterwards or it'll dry out!), flattened between my hands (Wear something old, it turns your hands an interesting shade of either grey or terracotta depending on what colour DAS you use!). Roll it out - I used an empty spray can, but a rolling pin would do a better job(!), then shape and put another bit next to it. Join that to the bit you put down originally, and continue until you have filled the area.

If you get it on the top of the rail, or the inside of a point or something though, scrape it off because once it dries, it'll set rock hard.

The result?

post-723-0-98456900-1336938799.jpg

This shows the yard in full (pre-paint!). I ran out of the white clay, so picked up a pack of the terracotta stuff. It does the same job, and it can be painted in exactly the same way.

• 3 weeks later...

We have motive power :)

post-723-0-22509800-1338746497.jpg

Nothing changed yet - will be getting a repaint and a few enhancements as per Chris Nevard's article in the January Model Rail.

I've also picked up a big box of Seamoss for trees the Penhydd way( link )(the first one is currently drying) and some more kits - Ratio Yard Crane and SR Concrete huts, and, the replacement for 'that house' - a Wills 'Black Horse' Country Pub kit.

This weekend then, in amongst the pre-wedding panic and last minute shopping, I have been mostly playing with Seafoam.

So far I've made two trees - this is the larger of the two in the background.

post-723-0-61806200-1338840521.jpg

There's another one hiding the exit on the other track, and space for another one nearer the road bridge. I still have space for at least another couple, although probably smaller than this one!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, three weeks later, happily a married man and just about getting back into the swing of day to day life!

The Sentinel has also been through the works - much in the vein of Chris Nevard's excellent article in Model Rail (January 2012). The body has been resprayed black (a terrifyingly nervous process, as I've only ever painted kits before, and I tend to spray those before assembly!). The bufferbeams have been repainted from the vermillion of the original to red, Smiths three-links have been added (front and back), and the moulded coal cut away and replaced with Gaugemaster 'Coal' (not sure if this is the real thing or not, but it does the job!)

post-723-0-76306300-1340541959.jpg

As you can see, that's as far as I've got - there will be some light weathering (a more 'in service' than 'decrepit' look though), and nameplates (when Narrow Planet are accepting orders again). I was happy enough with the original handrails not to replace them as per the other part of Chris' article, but that (and replacing the lamp irons perhaps?) could be a future addition.

Elsewhere, for obvious reasons, there has been limited progress on the layout - athough I did knock up a Ratio Yard Crane in the week leading up to the wedding, which is currently waiting for me to work out how to put the chain on it! (I'm also not convinced that it suits it's planned position on the loading dock - thoughts welcome!)

Edit: Brightened the photo using paint.net to show the lovely lines (and rivets) of this beastie!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to up this from the abyss, I do still intend to finish this layout!

What I'm waiting for (...) is a dry weekend day - I need to tidy the shed properly, which is currently (underneath the baseboards) a juble of 'useful offcuts of timber', gardening tools and a hoover, which I've inherited after we had to buy a new one for the house (I trod on the crevice tool bit and it snapped off... - oh well, it'll be useful for the layout!) - Hopefully, I'll get one this week. I've got a DCC chip for the Sentinel which I'm just aching to fit and have a play! (And Sal is strongly campaigning for easier access to the tumble dryer! ;) )

Hopefully then, more progress shortly. Stick with me on this one! :)

Archived