dseagull

A case of two steps forward, one step back yesterday.

Whilst two Tortoise Point Motors, complete with Hare decoders were, eventually, installed and now work fine, I noted a rather worrying glimpse of light from under the shed roof when I popped out for a smoke. It's only tiny, but it appears my pushing and manipulation of the shed wall/hardboard backscene has caused a screw to come out of its hole. It wasn't cut especially straight, and I suspect forcing one of the 'lumps' into a gap slightly too small for it hasn't helped matters.

Off work tomorrow (It's Football Manager 2012 day! ), so will be taking it out, buying a new sheet of hardboard and, dare I say, doing the job properly this time...!

The good news is 'The backscene problem' is nowhere near as bad as suspected. I will take it out and replace it, simply because it currently looks a bit rubbish, and I'm not prepared to spoil the layout for want of a 4 quid sheet of hardboard or MDF.

Progress will though stall until payday (this week), as I am sick and tired of fixing Tortoises to the bottom of the board, only for them to fall off. Martin Wynne's excellent suggestion on my status the other day of using hot glue sounds like the way to go - but I can't find any glue sticks, so again, they can wait until payday.

In the meantime?

Here's that plan in 'scenic' form (v1!) - The dark grey 'crescents' at the sides are hidden by the backscene, whilst the light grey area at the front represents hardstanding.

post-723-0-08308500-1319461321.jpg

I agree with the above about extending the scenery BOTH sides and how about putting in a diamond crossing at the top (riverside end of the station) so trains that run round the circuit can access the platform?? or maybe have an island platform?

Hope you dont mind me suggesting this, i like watching layouts develop from the planning stage.

Maybe why mine is forever at the planning stage :-)

Darren

Cheers all.

Extending the scenery on the right hand end is a goer and will be investigated, but not on the left - the track after the river leads on to what is (supposed to be) a lift out section to allow access to the shed. I say supposed to be, because it hasn't yet been taken out and the track is joined across it! - This would also see the Level Crossing move further down the line.

There will also be an Island platform, of sorts (I did forget this on the plan!) - see the top picture on http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hellingly/index.shtml to allow for transfers to the hospital passenger trains. Not sure how to replicate this at present - I had been thinking of a couple of Wills Halt kits, bashed together without the fencing, but due to the curve of the track, fear I might just have to use the supports for those and produce a 'top' myself, from either Wills Planking or Scalescenes Planking on Mounting Board.

One thing to note is that Hospital trains will always work 'Bunker Leading' due to the lack of a run around loop - 'Mainline' goods stock will be able to run into the platform for the loco to run around, whilst Hospital passenger stock will get no further than the end of the Island platform.

Cheers Ash - will have to see what photos the Nexus One can produce!

Progress over the weekend was somewhat limited, but a big step nonetheless - all 4 of the Tortoise Point Motors and Hare Decoders on the scenic section (I won't bother with the hidden bit) are now in place and working - and the dodgy hardboard backscene is on it's last legs, with some 3mm MDF having been purchased yesterday and awaiting installation (cue poking a screwdriver at the lining paper to try and find the screws...!)

On the downside, the potential for additional scenic area to the right is a non-starter ( I think... ) - The plan shown above shows that the track runs a little tight to the shed wall, and although nothing hits in reality, there is barely the space behind the track to get anything in.

Photos to probably follow, once I have found the USB Lead!

Well, now that the track is fixed down, as promised a couple of photos.

Apologies for the general building detrius in both, and you'll see I haven't got round to cutting the new backscene yet! (And in case you were wondering, the white mark on the roof of the shed is the remains of the previous backsene - or the overspray from the spray mount that held the lining paper up, in any case!). I'm quite pleased with the 'flow' that the curved points have given here.

post-723-0-69724300-1320353714.jpg

This is looking towards the river (The river is just behind the buffer stop)

post-723-0-03381800-1320353739.jpg

And this is looking from the river, the other way. The main platform will start somewhere around the large point at the back, ending halfway round the curve. Opposite this is space for the aformentioned Hospital platform, with the goods shed round about where the brake van is on the siding (Looking at this again, I'm tempted to add a corner board here to give a bit more scenic space. Nearest the camera, the headshunt with the buffer stops will host a small shed with attached workshop for the hospital loco.

Another weekend and another burst of progress

I've started the platforms (in fact, its running out of Wills platform sides that has bought progress to a halt today):

post-723-0-40125400-1321199870.jpg

Also seen here is a mockup of the station building - the missus thinks its too small for the platform - I'm not sure either. Rethink maybe required.

Secondly, the river bridge - all just tacked together at moment, and needs to be set into the to be built riverbank.

post-723-0-61333000-1321199738.jpg

Getting there.

Edit: Oops, hadn't realised it was a duplicate post - was posting from my phone earlier!

Some more progress this week - the Platforms have been cut to shape and look good (subject to filling/painting!)

post-723-0-25358700-1321790679.jpg

I also went along the 'bash a couple of Wills Halt kits' route for the Hospital platform

post-723-0-98275300-1321790671.jpg

A Barrow crossing provides an otherwise-fenced route for those transferring from 'mainline' trains to the hospital passenger service.

Quite pleased with this so far :)

Cheers Kev! - this one will be joined by a second, painted the same way - I'm also investigating interiors and possibly, if I can find a decent image, making up the logo of the Hailsham Hospitals Management Commitee in transfer form to put on the sides of the coaches. I should have added that in the above picture, the roof isn't attached to allow for that interior, if it looks a bit dodgy!

Regarding the loco(s?) - to be honest, I'm not sure.

Hellingly had the well known even outside these parts electric loco, of the other Hospital Railways High Royds and St Edwards were also electrified. Horton had a (several?) Peckett 0-6-0 - but Whittingham had a couple of possibles - an ex LBSCR D1 (Terrier maybe a useful substitute?) and a Sentinel (certainly available!). To be honest I was hoping the Ontracks-commissioned 'Industrial 0-6-0' would be something other than a relivered Spanish tank engine and that I could use that, but never mind...!

If pressed for an answer this second? - The Model Rail Sentinel in Lined Black but otherwise undecorated livery, with a custom Nameplate from Narrow Planet (Maybe 'G.T Hine', the architect of Hellingly)

Stu,

You could try something along these lines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hellingly_Railway_1906.jpg if you are considering overhead electrics for the asylum line or if not electrified what about a variation on the simplex narrow gauge diesel loco as used on the front line railway during WW1.

I think the Sentinel might be a bit out of place on a little used line. More approriate would be the old Lima dock shunter, which looks crappy enough to be used by private lines owners.

Just a few thoughts

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Kev - Not going down the electrification route, otherwise I would pick up the Roxey kit of the Hellingly loco.

My reasoning for the Sentinel boils down to 2 key points.

1: Whittingham (another hospital railway) had one

2: It's available, DCC ready and Mr Nevard's detailing feature in the new Model Rail looks right up my street.

There has been more progress in the shed with ballasting done on the BR line as well - the ballasting on the sidings and hospital line will use the DAS air drying clay approach as seen on far better layouts than I will ever create.

Another week of freezing temperatures has seen little progress, although the BR platform is now built and painted - but I'm not happy with it.

Firstly I sprayed the Wills platform top with Suede, then painted odd individual slabs with various Humbrol greys, which has come out alright - then I gave the brick a coat of off-white enamel and dry brushed it with brick colour, but I'm not impressed.

It's also a little too 'off the peg' for my liking - so after Christmas, an order for some SR style platform legs will go in, with the platform top made from Plasticard coated in DAS, and individually scribed slabs (did anyone say glutton for punishment? - at least I can do it inside in the warm in front of the telly!)

Will have to wait till Christmas to see what else arrives, but the Ratio Goods Shed is also on the shopping list.

Archived