The Derby Line, Gladiator LNER O4/3

dibateg

From an appearance point of view, I would think it's the width across the outside of the frames that is more relevant to a model.

Dave.

As you say Dave the width across the frames is more relevant. If my maths is correct this should be 3' 4 3/4" or 23.77mm. As this is FS should the frames be narrowed by the 1mm??????

OzzyO.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a post Guildex week, repairing casualties, fortunately not too many of those apart from a grumbing 08 which made it into the station once to drop of some p-way men before succumbing to shorts and erratic running and both 20s out of action with no motor drive from the decoders. I was chancing my arm with MX645s with twin motors, so decoders with more va va voom are going in.

post-6972-0-95186200-1441958935_thumb.jpg

I thought I'd work through my box of client repairs at the same time, so this Clan is having some pull rods and stretchers added as the brake were just dangling in the wind and very vulnerable.

post-6972-0-96022900-1441959098_thumb.jpg

The rain is coming, so Sunday it's back to the Crostie as I bought a whole load of bits for it at the show!

• Like 2

I think my favourite bit was where my 24 was commandeered to do the shunting, just sounds great ticking over..

Now it's starting to look Crostie like, I bought some brass tube, which is slightly undersize, so I slitted it and fitted in some rings cut from the same tube to expand it The etched one would have done, but I'm happier with the brass tube.

post-6972-0-51726600-1442225969_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

It's all been progressing quite quickly now. The boiler is fitted to the running plate and the cab has been added. BR Standard cabs always seem to be difficult with all those lovely angles, but with constant checking it seems to be the right shape and sitting in the correct plane. Some nice phosphor bronze strip hides the join to the firebox. The exhaust castings have been cleaned up and reasonably fettled - there will be the smoke deflector to add. There should also be a hefty bracket coming out of the frames to support the bottom of the nozzles bit, I don't think that's in the kit, but once I know where the wheels come to I will knock something up.

post-6972-0-81596200-1442510754_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It always takes an age to add the details, and a gloomy Sunday helps progress. So it would be best to add all the steps and big items before adding the pipework. The big castings at the front took a fair bit of filing. It would be difficult to get an exact fit, but they are pretty close. The feed to the blast nozzles is a little understated, but it would be difficult to change that without scratching up a whole new assembly. The steps butt solder to the boiler, I don't know how long that would last, so the front ones have a sneaky 0.6mm wire underneath soldered into a suitably drilled hole. I'd love to know what that disk arrangement is on the white metal pipe coming from the front of the loco. There is also that gap at the front of the frames where the running plate drops - I've seen it on other of Jim's BR Standards, so a strip of material is added to fill the gap. I've also added ( and can be seen extreme right ) a representation of the buffer beam support from square section brass.

Pipes next, the bit I like...

post-6972-0-78664900-1442821112_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm annoyed this morning, having found errors in the kit that are too late to fix. It's only now when piping up that I notice that the handholds on the RH fire box top are opposite those on the LH side They should be further forward. Had I spotted it earlier, perhaps I could have made up a new piece of cladding. Poo. I failed to follow my normal rule to distrust every part!

I couldn't get the supplied deflector to work as it seemed too short in length, so this is the 92023 one modified ( it had a different deflector to the others ). Both are in the kit.

Fans of German class 50s will recognise the step and inset handrail arrangement on the firemans side. I've spotted that the mid cab support outrigger is missing, so I will add that, to provide a little more support to that German step and fill in that empty gap.

post-6972-0-55091700-1443161619_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

All Einheitslok designs had this on both sides.

Presumably it was only considered necessary on the fireman's side on the Crosti 9F's because the side mounted exhaust assembly prevented access to the fittings on the side of the firebox whereas the rear of the running plate on the driver's side could be accessed from the front, as on normal locos.

Dave.

The pipework continues... I had to scratchbuild most of the regulator mechanism as the items were over etched and unusable.

post-6972-0-65566600-1443522963_thumb.jpg

The smokebox castings were a little disappointing, I had make a new hinge for the main one using tube and 14BA washers.

post-6972-0-16333500-1443522862.jpg

This morning has seen a concerted effort to get the body finished... more to follow.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It always takes an age to add the details, and a gloomy Sunday helps progress. So it would be best to add all the steps and big items before adding the pipework. The big castings at the front took a fair bit of filing. It would be difficult to get an exact fit, but they are pretty close. The feed to the blast nozzles is a little understated, but it would be difficult to change that without scratching up a whole new assembly. The steps butt solder to the boiler, I don't know how long that would last, so the front ones have a sneaky 0.6mm wire underneath soldered into a suitably drilled hole. I'd love to know what that disk arrangement is on the white metal pipe coming from the front of the loco. There is also that gap at the front of the frames where the running plate drops - I've seen it on other of Jim's BR Standards, so a strip of material is added to fill the gap. I've also added ( and can be seen extreme right ) a representation of the buffer beam support from square section brass.

Pipes next, the bit I like...

attachicon.gifP1030092.JPG

It's not a pipe, it's the cover for the reverser mechanism - the pre-heater drum precluded the fitting of the usual weighshaft across the loco frame.

This may sound a silly question but is there much difference in the weight from one side to the other of the upper superstructure as there are some heavy brass castings on the one side?

My thinking is that will uneven weight distribution have on the compensation and running, it may be nothing but in 7mm with an all metal model loading's and the forces exerted on the bearings and moving parts is more important including how the model is weighted.

Pete

It's not a pipe, it's the cover for the reverser mechanism - the pre-heater drum precluded the fitting of the usual weighshaft across the loco frame.

Hello Michael,

I'm not sure where you got that information from? If that was the case how would it traverse from one side to the other when the smokebox (transfer box) would get in the way?

But when you look a this photo of a Costi 9F you can see that weighshaft will fit between the pre-heat "boiler" and the main boiler. This is the large bearing on the motion bracket. Not the large flanged hole to it's rear.

post-8920-0-84587700-1443565756_thumb.jpg

This looks to be a flange for the exhaust steam pipe, some will go to the steam jacket but most will go directly up the chimney to help produce draft in the boiler. In this photo you can also see the main steam pipe to the cylinder inside the smokebox and outside of the smokebox. This explains the odd shaped steam pipe covers at the front end. When you look along the pipe you can see an inverted U shaped pipe, I think this will be the take off pipe for the steam jacket at the rear of the preheat boiler.

post-8920-0-67140600-1443565763_thumb.jpg

OzzyO.

The body is now finished to all intents and I am on with the chassis. I never like doing sand pipes, they are always a fiddle - steam pipes are yet to be added in this pic. The sand boxes are soldered directly to the frames with Griffin sand traps. you can also see the LH exhaust steam pipe ( made from 4mm or so dia copper wire ) with it's flange passing over the pre heater - there was nothing in the kit for this. The brakes are from the kit and not quite right, but will do the job. Cylinder covers and glands are Ragstone. The red hubs are to indicate LH wheels, once I have fitted them, they always stay in the same orientation - but they've been on and off that many times...

post-6972-0-45904600-1444241655_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I'm now getting to know my way around 9F injectors, this being my 4th set this year although it took me several attempts to get the support bracket in the right position. Studying the photos I noticed something different with the original Crosties, in that there is a casting bolted on to the outlet of the live steam injector that provides two outlets - which makes sense as there are three clacks. No provision is made in the kit for this so I scratched one up from some brass sprue, odds and ends and some left over square unions from the DJH project. There is also and extra support bracket, again scratched up. I keep thinking I'm on the home straight, I must be now...

post-6972-0-67513000-1444478294_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm now getting to know my way around 9F injectors, this being my 4th set this year although it took me several attempts to get the support bracket in the right position. Studying the photos I noticed something different with the original Crosties, in that there is a casting bolted on to the outlet of the live steam injector that provides two outlets - which makes sense as there are three clacks. No provision is made in the kit for this so I scratched one up from some brass sprue, odds and ends and some left over square unions from the DJH project. There is also and extra support bracket, again scratched up. I keep thinking I'm on the home straight, I must be now...attachicon.gifP1030105.JPG

Really superb work on those injectors Tony. All that pipework was enough to put me off doing any Standard type loco despite the fact that there have been some good kits on the market over recent years

Regards

Bob

Thanks Bob - I actually enjoy making up the pipes. One of the bits missing from the kit is the distinctive bracket off the frames that supports the side chimney. It's not 100% accurate, as it has to fit in with the castings in the kit, but I made up the pair and soldered them to slots cut in the frames. It looked a little empty there otherwise..

post-6972-0-32318500-1444494426_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This may sound a silly question but is there much difference in the weight from one side to the other of the upper superstructure as there are some heavy brass castings on the one side?

My thinking is that will uneven weight distribution have on the compensation and running, it may be nothing but in 7mm with an all metal model loading's and the forces exerted on the bearings and moving parts is more important including how the model is weighted.

Pete

Bump