RMweb

16t minerals

Nice variation for modelling, French one, 'normal' one, slope sided - and that's just the first 3 wagons

The second one is a riveted 1/105 or 1/109. The fourth is an LNER (1/103) type. The first 'normal' one is the fith. The sixth looks to be a wooden 13T. Plenty of variation. Who said all 16T minerals were the same!

Justin 

• RMweb Gold

The second one is a riveted 1/105 or 1/109. The fourth is an LNER (1/103) type. The first 'normal' one is the fith. The sixth looks to be a wooden 13T. Plenty of variation. Who said all 16T minerals were the same!

Justin 

That was around my trainspotting heyday at Snow Hill. Every trip and transfer freight had an interesting mix of traffic. There's a couple of minerals at the front of this trip caught up during the Bulleid Invasion in April 1963 http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1180.htm. If you want to know what a typical local freight looked like in the West Midlands at that time the Warwickshire Railways site has lots.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What are those wagons carrying? The lumps look a bit too consistently large, and 'matt' to be coal, and it looks to be going north (I presume the line the Black 5 was on crossed the main line on that flyover in the distance, before heading off to Bedford).

In the third photo, a diesel is visible in the mid-distance; to my ageing eyes, this looks as though it might be a 33. What do others think?

• RMweb Gold

What are those wagons carrying? The lumps look a bit too consistently large, and 'matt' to be coal, and it looks to be going north (I presume the line the Black 5 was on crossed the main line on that flyover in the distance, before heading off to Bedford).

In the third photo, a diesel is visible in the mid-distance; to my ageing eyes, this looks as though it might be a 33. What do others think?

I think the diesel is what would now be a Class 26 - some worked the GN routes until migrating north.

I think the diesel is what would now be a Class 26 - some worked the GN routes until migrating north.

That had been my first thought; that or their younger sisters who worked on the Southern end of the Midland, but the centre window appears to be full-depth. There was one BRC&W Type 3 working on the ECML at the time, I believe; the Cliffe- Uddingstone cement train.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian

The train is going towards Bedford. The load, if it is coal, if so where is it from? All the coal trains I saw at Bedford, including the ones to Goldington power station, which was on the LNWR line to Sandy, came from the Wellingborough direction southwards. All the coal trains I saw at Sandy came from the Peterborough direction.

There was a time in the 70s when some of the coal for Goldington was delivered by lorry. This had been landed at Cliff Quay power station (Ipswich) and trundled across East Anglia, I was working for the CEGB at the time and was in the apprentice training centre at Cliff Quay and use to get a lift home to Goldington in one of the lorries on Friday night. Cliff Quay was not rail connected so coal being transported from there by train seems unlikely.

If not coal, what type of large lump material was quarried in East Anglia?

It is a BRCW Type 3 not a Type 2, all the Type 2s had been exiled north of Hadrian's Wall by 1963.

Edit...The lumps are far too big for power station coal.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Hi Brian

The train is going towards Bedford. The load, if it is coal, if so where is it from? All the coal trains I saw at Bedford, including the ones to Goldington power station, which was on the LNWR line to Sandy, came from the Wellingborough direction southwards. All the coal trains I saw at Sandy came from the Peterborough direction.

There was a time in the 70s when some of the coal for Goldington was delivered by lorry. This had been landed at Cliff Quay power station (Ipswich) and trundled across East Anglia, I was working for the CEGB at the time and was in the apprentice training centre at Cliff Quay and use to get a lift home to Goldington in one of the lorries on Friday night. Cliff Quay was not rail connected so coal being transported from there by train seems unlikely.

If not coal, what type of large lump material was quarried in East Anglia?

It is a BRCW Type 3 not a Type 2, all the Type 2s had been exiled north of Hadrian's Wall by 1963.

Edit...The lumps are far too big for power station coal.

It might be coal from Kent; I know that Kent coal was sent northwards to various coking plants and steelworks in later years, so perhaps this was an early example? I can't think of anything from East Anglia itself that would look like that- it almost looks like lumps of lignite, but I can't think of any origin for that, or for any reason for it being there.