Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold

Very useful at somewhere like Toton, where the hump control cabin was at about eye-level to the wagon buffers, but less so with the Modernisation Plan yards, where the controller was atop a tower. On vac-fitted wagons, there was often an empty, white-framed, box next to the number, which served the same purpose- being on the side, it was probably less useful.

I'm sure I can remember reading at the time that the 'white framed box' was there for something else Brian - something to do with maintence perhaps my mind seems to recall.  All I need to do is find the right edition of 'Modern Railways'  :O 

Putting road numbers on wagon ends would have been of little use in most yards, let alone in modern hump yards (which worked off lists and punched tape anyway).

I'm sure I can remember reading at the time that the 'white framed box' was there for something else Brian - something to do with maintence perhaps my mind seems to recall.  All I need to do is find the right edition of 'Modern Railways'  :O 

Putting road numbers on wagon ends would have been of little use in most yards, let alone in modern hump yards (which worked off lists and punched tape anyway).

There's another 'white box' (or black panel on grey wagons) that has pre-painted details for shopping/lifting etc, which were supposed to be updated (so you'd see different coloured paint being used to obliterate the old details). I specifically mentioned Toton, as I saw them looking out for these end markings; a far cry from yards like Margam, where you couldn't see the wagons, let alone the numbers, if the wind was blowing the wrong way (a combination of stife and sand).

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold

There's another 'white box' (or black panel on grey wagons) that has pre-painted details for shopping/lifting etc, which were supposed to be updated (so you'd see different coloured paint being used to obliterate the old details). I specifically mentioned Toton, as I saw them looking out for these end markings; a far cry from yards like Margam, where you couldn't see the wagons, let alone the numbers, if the wind was blowing the wrong way (a combination of stife and sand).

Margam hump tower worked off the Train Meeter's list (which in any case was often a check against ATI for trains that were ATI) and officially it could be turned into a punched tape which worked the route setting leaving the operators to concentrate on the retarders although they did work manually at times.  So there was no need for them to see any detail of the wagons at all.

Shunting in a flat yard numbers would sometimes be chalked (on the side) but much of the shunting I saw was simply done from memory having studied the ATI list/taken a stour of the train first or as they went.

Twas April 1963.

Articles appeared around the same time in Transport Age, Design Magazine and on the cover of May 63 Midland edition of the BR staff magazine.

Different Versions of “the Box” appeared on three 16 tonners painted in experimental liveries in 1961, along with experimental chalk panels on a 12 ton box van and an Ice blue container with boxed lettering and the railfreight crate logo. (You read it here first!  :) )

I remember reading what the original purpose of the white box was for and why it fell out of use, but can’t bring the source to mind at the moment.

Porcy

Edit:

Forgot to add this.

post-508-0-34618800-1384961910_thumb.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Hi Brian

I was thinking that. Has the GWR fruit van had its loovers boarded up? It looks too short to a rebuilt cattle van.

It's one of the purpose-built 'Goods Fruit' vans- basically a standard 12t Mink A with 'Siphon G' style louvres replacing the planking on the top third of the sides, and the strapping re-arranged accordingly. Quite strange to see one that had gone over to general use that early (1962)- even in the late 1960s, they were still being used for Channel Islands traffic from Weymouth, as I remember seeing a row of them at the exchange sidings for the Tramway then.

Hi Brian

I was thinking that. Has the GWR fruit van had its loovers boarded up? It looks too short to a rebuilt cattle van.

If you go into the original site and go large - original it is not boarded up. A GWR version in original condition.

A lot of detail available here, very nice.

Paul

• Like 2

Here's one I've almost finished.

post-494-0-70305200-1385826478.jpg

It's a PECO kit but I've scratchbuilt the top flaps and a fabricated end door. I've also given it brakes on one side only with clutch type lever on the side with the brakes. It's only lightly weathered when compared with my previous efforts. I guess this one has had works attention, a repaint and re-lettering quite recently. You'll notice that the wheel on the far side right is shiny. For some reason the blackening chemical wouldn't touch this wheel but blackened the others well enough.

• Like 8