Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Curious- someone seems to have painted the Palvan springs yellow.

Makes any "corner loading" visible which was a common practice with this type of Palvan (with the door in one corner - along with the broken springs these were also prone to).

Edited by Southernman46

Insides at Bargoed Pits January 1975:

Rusty/dirty:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10420971204/

Painted/shiny?:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10421153983/in/photostream/

Plenty of other interesting shots.

Loads:

Big lumps:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/10274664504/

Wrexham Croes Newydd South Fork 3rd of March 1967.

Also interesting track in sidings - concrete "pots" I think they are called?

Finer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/10479690883/

Shap 15th of April 1967.

Slope sided:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9690010259/

Warrington 20th of July 1966.

• Like 4

I was just wondering if anyone had modelled a Dia. 1/116 wagon or if there are any photos of the prototype. It would be interesting to see how the aluminium bodies weathered and would make an interesting contrast to the usual steel-bodied weathering.

Another thing - is there a conversion kit available in 7mm to turn an unfitted 16-tonner into a fitted one?

Some 16 tonners heading through Dawlish Warren in a great shot from 1970:

Hmmmmm. A little off topic, but I wonder if those two tanks are eventually going to end up at Hayle wharfe? (Bromide)

Porcy

• RMweb Gold

Talk about 'prototype for everything' - so when Heljan announce 18000 as one of the few oddball things that haven't yet been done RTR, our friends who do MML etc will have an excuse.

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No pictures or models but perhaps some useful information. I've recently been developing a number of 16T mineral wagon chassis and I thought it would be interesting to see just how the BR 16T mineral fleet broke down into different types. I have posted this elsewhere but I thought this would be a good place to put is as well...................................      So what does this all mean? Well if you model circa 1960 and have 30 steel minerals on your layout then roughly 10 of them should be non-‘standard’ types with perhaps 2 welded, independent, no top door; 2 welded, independent and 2 riveted types. If you model circa 1955 then roughly half of your steel mineral fleet should be non-‘standard' types. Perhaps ‘standard’ wasn’t quite so standard…

Browsing in the local library this afternoon I noticed a picture at Low Moor MPD in 1966 IIRC.

There was a rake of 16T wagons all marked SUBEX, which had  Rivetted bodies with and without top door, welded bodies with and without top door, two Slope siders and one with part replating all in the space of about 50 yards.

• Like 2

post-27-0-15600600-1384807714_thumb.jpg

These are mine which are all Bachmann 37-225G which I converted to EM gauge using Romford wheels which requires some moulding removed from the inside of the axle boxes which I did with a cutting disc, we were in a hurry to have them ready for expo EM so I didnt do the weathering or fitting of couplings, Gareth Rowlands weathered them and Chris Hewitt fitted the sprat and winkle couplingsso thanks to them.

they all still have the same number on the side but no one at the show noticed or mentioned that :)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Talk about 'prototype for everything' - so when Heljan announce 18000 as one of the few oddball things that haven't yet been done RTR, our friends who do MML etc will have an excuse.

Hi MetrOland

I think it is in the LNWR yard, the far goods shed is the MR one. The goods shed nearest the photographer is the LNWR one as the loco shed is next to it.

I agree it is an oddball to be in Market Harborough.

For the shunter to chalk the siding number on in a marshalling yard.

Mike.

Very useful at somewhere like Toton, where the hump control cabin was at about eye-level to the wagon buffers, but less so with the Modernisation Plan yards, where the controller was atop a tower. On vac-fitted wagons, there was often an empty, white-framed, box next to the number, which served the same purpose- being on the side, it was probably less useful.