Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

What is the problem with this link, works for me http://www.flickr.co...ill/2390184904/

It appears to be a small coastal vessel, that were (are?) common.

Very nice photograph.

Paul Bartlett

That link's OK, but the one that Andy removed did have an annoying pop-up on it; I think it may have been some sort of Google site, as these seem prone to such things. The boat's quite a bit longer than it appears with what appears to be a pair of holds aft of the bridge, and another raised bit at the stern with what might be crew accommodation. It's a style of collier that seems to have disappeared these days, as more modern colliers and 'small' bulk carriers seem to have all the accommodation and the bridge at the stern:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/6200445055/in/set-72157613190726002 is used for alumina. 'Small' is relative, of course- a 3000t capacity vessel would need almost 200 16t minerals to fill it, hence the huge number of sidings around the coal exporting ports in their heyday.

That link's OK, but the one that Andy removed did have an annoying pop-up on it; I think it may have been some sort of Google site, as these seem prone to such things. The boat's quite a bit longer than it appears with what appears to be a pair of holds aft of the bridge, and another raised bit at the stern with what might be crew accommodation. It's a style of collier that seems to have disappeared these days, as more modern colliers and 'small' bulk carriers seem to have all the accommodation and the bridge at the stern:-

http://www.flickr.co...157613190726002 is used for alumina. 'Small' is relative, of course- a 3000t capacity vessel would need almost 200 16t minerals to fill it, hence the huge number of sidings around the coal exporting ports in their heyday.

Yes, found three photos of it on line, starting here http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20B/slides/Ballylagan-01.html So far I haven't found details of this MV, usually it is easy to get details on ships, old and new!

I agree there were many small ships of 2-3k tonnes working both around the UK and to the nearer parts of the continent, carrying all manner of commodities, including grain fresh off the combine which brought in Colorado beetles - which is how I got involved with them.

Paul Bartlett

Yes, found three photos of it on line, starting here http://www.photoship...lylagan-01.html So far I haven't found details of this MV, usually it is easy to get details on ships, old and new!

I agree there were many small ships of 2-3k tonnes working both around the UK and to the nearer parts of the continent, carrying all manner of commodities, including grain fresh off the combine which brought in Colorado beetles - which is how I got involved with them.

Paul Bartlett

Paul,

Here's some gen from another Flicker site, showing the same photo of the ship, but with some information of the build (only the same age as me, I noticed..) I wonder if the 'Kelly' who owned here is the same one that used to have those red coal containers.

I looked at a few shots either side of the ones you linked to, and found some shots of what may have been a sister ship being loaded with coal at an un-named port. No messing with coal hoists though- the 16-tonner was simply being lifted by slings under the ends..

I found a little more on her - she was bigger than she appeared in the original photo:

WARNING

Do not try this link.

Contains a nasty pop up.

Bernard

http://www.flickr.co...157613190726002 is used for alumina. 'Small' is relative, of course- a 3000t capacity vessel would need almost 200 16t minerals to fill it, hence the huge number of sidings around the coal exporting ports in their heyday.

It was a link to a Tripod hosted site. I didn't see any malicious pop-ups, there were one or two commercial ones but nothing nasty. What was happening at the link?

I certainly wouldn't have posted a malicious link. Andy, what did you see?

It was a link to a Tripod hosted site. I didn't see any malicious pop-ups, there were one or two commercial ones but nothing nasty. What was happening at the link?

I certainly wouldn't have posted a malicious link. Andy, what did you see?

It was one of those "you have won a mobile phone" jobs that open automatically and cannot be removed short of shutting down the computer.

You say commercial I say nasty. The flashing lights don't do me any good either.

Bernard

It was one of those "you have won a mobile phone" jobs that open automatically and cannot be removed short of shutting down the computer.

You say commercial I say nasty. The flashing lights don't do me any good either.

Bernard

Apologies Bernard, I didn't see anything like that when I viewed the page.

pretty unrealistic coal in these... :rolleyes:

4363526014_d8364ed2dc.jpg

76025 and 76027 on 8Z76 passing Mottram No 2 - 22nd June 1981 by Deadmans Handle, on Flickr

and that weathering job make them look a bit "Friesian".

Porcy

Edited for spilling mistakes.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

Nice, the two nearest the camera have pressed end door with welded bodies. It is difficult to see if they have independent or Morton brake rigging.

Paul Bartlett

Throughout this thread, looking through all of the photographs within, photographs’ elsewhere and in my own collection I'm beginning to think that during the sixties, 16 tonners with pressed end doors were considerably more common than I'd previously thought. Perhaps as high as 10%?

Porcy

Can anyone suggest a color in the Tamiya range that would be suitable for late 1950 unfitted minerals? I just completed my first 7mm wagon (a Peco 16t) and I don't have access to the same paint brands here that most of you use.

• 2 weeks later...