Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

"Missing In action"

Reading though this thread sent me off on a bit of “google research”.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61305-walkden-colliery-lines/

And I found this 16 tonner… I wonder how long it had been submerged?

It's the third pic from the bottom entitled “Boothstown Pen being emptied in preparation for redevelopment as a marina”

http://www.canalscape.net/Worsley%20Canal%20Heritage%20Walk/Worsley%20Canal%20Heritage%20Walk.htm

Porcy

• Like 3

Another view of the wagons in the sidings that were in my post 766.
Taken on 6/3/1980. I nearly put it in the "human side of Railways" thread as it shows work being done to provide sentry huts for the police who would be standing guard when Prince Phillip had a night in the Royal Train when it was parked in the sidings. One of the huts can be seen behind the train in my post 766.
post-6748-0-00239200-1349122066.jpg

(all those cars in the background are stored Vauxhalls, sometimes they were there for months - hope no one bought a Vauxhall in 1980!)

EDIT:- date added

Edited by flyingsignalman
  • Like 4

The telegraph poles on the side of that warehouse are an interesting feature.

Any idea what the factory might be? It looks as though there's another loading bay in the mid-distance.

I'm not sure about the load in those first two wagons- it appears to be loaded too high in the wagon to be 'wire-in-coil'. It's also a bit bright- most 'w-i-c' is far from shiny.

STC Standard Telephones and Cables

Some nice period air views here

http://stcnsg.org.uk...s1950/index.htm

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks for that, Mike; reading the text, it seems the Necropolis Railway wasn't the only one offering 'single-ticket only' fares....I don't know if the firm/factory still exists, but the company name has become incorporated into French; 'standard' is a telephone extension, whilst 'standardiste' is a switchboard operator.

• Like 1

I don't know if the firm/factory still exists, but the company name has become incorporated into French; 'standard' is a telephone extension, whilst 'standardiste' is a switchboard operator.

"Graces" on line guide is always a good place to start when looking for Company information.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Standard_Telephones_and_Cables

Porcy

A few new ones from me!

post-7061-0-57710000-1349368377_thumb.jpg

post-7061-0-96639400-1349368401_thumb.jpg

post-7061-0-53751100-1349368424_thumb.jpg

Been playing with the airbrush and a combo of Modelmates dyes, especially the new rust formulations.

Pity about the couplings, but shakey hand syndrome now precludes the use of three links (I sold them all!!!).

• Like 13

BR blue and rusty minerals - perfect photos for me :) If they had urban housebacks as well they'd be 10/10.

Interesting 'strata' effect with the rust in that second photo, and a very clean brakevan too. And in contrast, look at the state of that leading 31!

Wonder how it rusted like that!

Now if you modelled that, no doubt someone would say "Vertical, it must be vertical!"

Anyone any ideas?

Maybe some sort of end tipper mechanism grabbing the sides?

The brake van is interesting. Its cleanliness is most likely due to extensive repairs to the cabin. However, it's the first one I've seen with a diamond shaped baseplate to the chimney. Most have a square baseplate. Of course, this one might be square but differently-oriented :)