bachmann 170 to 172/1 conversion

• RMweb Gold

When i say mask off the whole unit i was being a bit overkill, this took me about 10 mins to do

796CB9E8.jpg

Ill do the other coach later and get the green dusted over tomorrow

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Done a bit more as the little un is still napping!!

Basically fitted up the cab, still not glued though, and painted a few bits of finer detail on it including the light clusters, the front of the black circle, rubbing plate and the grey sides to the gangway, the dusted over green looks so much better now, need to put a fresh cantrail stripe on it though

So very nearly finished now, looks the part with the extra bits painted

cefebdfe.jpg

d0d9b847.jpg

046ae88e.jpg

e97837c3.jpg

I think i can call this project a success!!

• Like 5

Done a bit more as the little un is still napping!!

Basically fitted up the cab, still not glued though, and painted a few bits of finer detail on it including the light clusters, the front of the black circle, rubbing plate and the grey sides to the gangway, the dusted over green looks so much better now, need to put a fresh cantrail stripe on it though

So very nearly finished now, looks the part with the extra bits painted

cefebdfe.jpg

d0d9b847.jpg

046ae88e.jpg

e97837c3.jpg

I think i can call this project a success!!

Great Job Mate Love The Cabs And Livery

How Long Did This Take?

• RMweb Gold

On and off its taken about 8 months!!

Real time its only about 10 hours work per 2 car unit on my part but james makin did the cabs and pete soldered up the window units for me, ive probably saved myself a fair few hours using correct liveried units after i bin ed the original pair of units!!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 03/06/2011 at 21:37, big jim said:

the tinted glazing arrived from hurst today so i made a start on cutting it up to fit the 172, only done 1 side so far but its looking good, not glued in yet though as i want to trim a couple back a bit more to stop the "bowing" effect you can see on a couple of panels

a1755282.jpg

also tidied up the 168/0, hand painted the new cab ends, will need to rub down the yellow again as the paint dragged while i was puttng it on, i think the brush still had some thinners on it, other than that i need to add light cluster masks which i will make out of plasticard (the unit wont have working lights) and handrails and wipers which i believe are available as spares from Hornby.

c19312b8.jpg

a nice addition to my "custom" chiltern fleet

76d13d50.jpg

37140a8a.jpg

This is mega jim. Loving the 168/0. Jelous of this fleet!

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately all my chiltern stuff is long gone now! 

looking back to when I did the 172 unit,  technology has come a long way since 2012, no doubt the resin cabs, etched window ribbons and Hornby networker cab cut and shut could be replaced by high quality finer detailed 3D prints that could simply replace the Bachmann parts with very little work

Edited by big jim

• 2 years later...

Hi Jim,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but Im looking to do a chiltern 172/1 conversion. Do you now if the parts are still available for the gasket style sides (PH designs) and glazing (hurst) to match? - I have had a look at both websites and cannot find anything.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Pete did them for me as a one off so I dint know if he still had the relevant bits to do some more, worth a message maybe 

the glazing was just the Bachmann ribbon stuff cut up

As I put above in my reply 2 years ago technology has moved on in leaps and bounds (and further more since then) that I think a simple 3D print would be a lot simpler and more detailed I think they would be popular too if someone were to produce a kit (172/0 windows and 172/2 cab and windows kit) I’m looking at you @LMSfan72!!

Edited by big jim
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, big jim said:

Pete did them for me as a one off so I dint know if he still had the relevant bits to do some more, worth a message maybe 

the glazing was just the Bachmann ribbon stuff cut up

As I put above in my reply 2 years ago technology has moved on in leaps and bounds (and further more since then) that I think a simple 3D print would be a lot simpler and more detailed I think they would be popular too if someone were to produce a kit (172/0 windows and 172/2 cab and windows kit) I’m looking at you @LMSfan72!!

Ha - thanks Jim. Interesting idea! If anyone has any drawing/dimensions I might take a look…..

• Like 1

Hi Jim

I’ve just come across this tread. Loving your work. I was looking to do a Chiltern 165/0 for me layout.

Regarding the removal of the hopper windows I was wondering if you had any ideas on removing the grey band on some or the glazing sheets to it was just a plain glazing panel?

i was thinking of trying a bit of t cut but don’t know if it will work?