Custom photographic backscenes

I'm trying to find (without success so far) someone who produces/prints photographic backscenes where you can provide your own photographic images rather than using the generic/stock photographic backscenes that are available - I have searched RMWeb and elsewhere online with no success - I don't want to use generic photographic backscenes, as I am modelling a specific location.

I also don't have the ability to print out images any longer/larger than A3 size - and the backscene needs to be approx 4 feet long.

I think there was a reference to a company that offers this service in one of the modellling magazines recently, but I just can't find it - can anyone help?

Best wishes, Phil Porter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

I asked the same question of the Model Rail staff (after I too couldn't find the article!) and got the following reply:

Our backscenes expert Peter Marriott recommends the following;

The Dot Foundry www.thedotfoundry.co.uk

Kirton Model Products www.kpmdesign.co.uk

I did intend to follow these up for my own backscene, but things have changed a bit for me and I haven't contacted them as yet so I don't know if they're still current; maybe you could post the results if you get a response?

• RMweb Premium

Another option is to speak to a local printers or photography shop. Many of these will have roll printing facilities. Might not be the cheapest option though.

I have used my Epson photo 315 to print out panorama landscape photos although its only an a4 printer it allows you to use Photo paper rolls; I used 8.3" wide panoramic roll papers but you can get 13"wide paper in a variety of lenths.

I also used stitching software which came with my Canon camera to plint out a photo over three foot long. I used the printers custom settings to set the width.

If you have a A3 printer look at its specs to seee if it will handle photo paper rolls my roll was 210mm wide and 10m long.

Archived