Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Turning point?

A few years ago I decided to give up walking down the4mm finescale path (shaking hands with St Peter helped in the decision making process), but every now and then something quite simple happens that makes you re-evaluate possibly much of what you have been doing.

A certain (very generous) individual has loaned me a Greenscene GrassTech electro static flock machine to 'play with' and having fiddled for a few days the results have been, well whilst not quite life changing certainly eye opening.

It has made me realise, (once more) that whilst it is possible to take the easy course, sometimes the more difficult route is best.

The difference in using this machine and the results achieved has made me think, wether or not to return to 4mm finescale modelling. My 7mm is still a long way off (waiting for retirement), but this gizmo has really made me sit up and think.

So, a bit of head scratching and sketching has revealed that a small plank can be fitted in the layout room, but I know once I start, there may be no going back!:help:

I wonder if any of you have been in the same boat, or had a sudden revelation or a road to Damacus moment (again!!).

Thanks Andy!:yahoo:

ps anyone want a few thousand 'tufts', mirkins (green) also supplied!!:D

• RMweb Gold

Dear Rattus,

You are not alone. I've got a similar predicament.

My main modelling has been 7/8"=1'. Using 1.75" gauge track to represent 2'. It's big stuff, but I'd always hankered after BR(W) in South Wales where I was born and brought up.

So I started collecting bits off eBay with a determination to go P4. Now although this is still the ultimate goal, I'd also like to do some chequebook modelling and just make a quick BR green/Blue diesel layout..........in OO, but I dont want the odd sleeper spacing of Peco Streamline so should use SMP with hand laid pointwork..........but If I do this, I might as well go the whole hog and do the lot in P4. But then I have the added expense of all the conversions. At least with the OO, I can run out of the box initially. but would I then forgo the P4?

This forum has a lot to answer for:

Cap'n K with his OO and P4 enterprises. How can he do it?

All the guys doing Highland lines

Leon and his South Wales freight

And Brian R who has been sending me tantalising photos of stuff in South Wales during the 70s and 80s.

Meanwhile outside is the siren call of live steam

You can see my dilemma

I think I'll have to procrastinate for a little longer

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard, I think that this is what makes the hobby so great, there are so many different facets to it all!

There was I, eagerly awaiting forced retirement to crack on with the 7mm.

A certain geezer demo's the fuzzy felt maker, offers me a loan and that was it!

OK, so time will tell, but a few days off next week will see the boards hopefully built and the track started!

Fingers crossed!:yes:

It has made me realise, (once more) that whilst it is possible to take the easy course, sometimes the more difficult route is best.

All together now ... the 'best' course is the one that feels right to you.

I might be reading this wrong Neil, but it sounds to me like you've been looking for the next challenge, that you considered a fairly drastic change (of gauge) to seek that, and then found another way, without completely abandoning everything that you're comfortable with.

Mick, I did actually make one and found it quite useful, tho slighty shocking having zapped myself with it,:rolleyes: still not as good as a Tazer tho!

The difference is amazing though, as the grassmaster seems to 'fire' the particles out. Awesome really (to this simpleton anyway!).

I appreciate the cost (same as a loco) but its one of those things, once having tried it theres no way of going back.:yahoo:

I winder if pendon has started to use one, and if not why not?

Thanks again, have saved the link as you never know!:yes:

Neil

Archived