Detailing a Dapol 14xx

Hi

I have a Dapol model of the 14xx and is at the moment in GWR livery but want to detail the model and make it a british railways, so i will be repainting got the paint and going to get number plates and transfers for fox but what other detailing parts are around on the market. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Scott

• RMweb Gold

The easiest bet is the Mainly Trains detailing kit. I don't actually know of any others, but the MT one is more than adequate. Try searching the forum (including the old one), there are several threads about detailing 48/1400's and Buffalo's blog is well worth a read.

• RMweb Gold

Dapol did it in OO, post Airfix/GMR and before Hornby took it on, I assumed that was the one the OP was referring to. Never heard of a kit for N (not that that means there isn't one...)

I've got a Dapol OO Gauge 14XX, I believe they took over from Airfix, then Hornby took over from them (or something like that)Then I changed it to a 58XX, removed the Top Feed and fitted proper hand rails and the MT Detailing Kit. I made up my numbers from Martin Finney Kit

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/31098-gwr-58xx-painting-guide/page__p__326771__hl__58xx__fromsearch__1#entry326771

This part of my thread about my 58xx

• RMweb Gold

In that case MRJ No 1 - Iain Rice's conversion for the article

I bet that is a difficult article to get hold of I could do with it! :mellow:

Something that you will need to add to the detailing parts is a new smokebox dart (the cast one isn't too good), handrail pillars from Alan Gibson and .45 wire to replace the handrails. Comet supply a smoke box dart I think Markits do to.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks been looking on mainly train have seen a few thinks i will use. Not sure if i should replace chimney and dome but cant see where i would get 1 of those from.

The dome doesn't need replacing, Scott. Did you find the complete detailing kit?

http://www.mainlytra...g/exp_mt222.htm

The Rice article is a good read with some excellent reference photos, although I believe done a long before the MT was available. It looks a little dated in some respects, IMO, especially after seeing some more recent efforts by members on RMWeb.

Something that you will need to add to the detailing parts is a new smokebox dart (the cast one isn't too good), handrail pillars from Alan Gibson and .45 wire to replace the handrails. Comet supply a smoke box dart I think Markits do to.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Not just the dart, the whole smokebox door needs replacing to get something looking like that on the real thing, the Mainly Trains one isn't much good either.

I had a feeling Iain Rice was involved in the MT detailing kit, he certainly designed a lot of their other kits and did the instructions.

I would have thought Fox or Modelmaster can supply you with some lining.

Don't forget to choose a prototype that wore that livery when it had a top feed boiler though unless you want to chop that off!

I don't have Peto's Register with me at the moment, but there weren't many lined examples. I will have a look later to see if it details which were green & lined.

Removing the Top Feed is not that difficult, carve off most of it carefully then progressively finer sanding and filler. The chimney comes of when you remove the body the smokebox door pops out but you need to sand down the rim. Handrails can be carved off then sanded. The whistle shield is also time and type specific, some had tall ones some short. If you look at mine I replaced the hatch in the roof and filled the bunker with coal, and finally added the fire Iron hooks

• RMweb Gold

Not just the dart, the whole smokebox door needs replacing to get something looking like that on the real thing, the Mainly Trains one isn't much good either.

I had a feeling Iain Rice was involved in the MT detailing kit, he certainly designed a lot of their other kits and did the instructions.

Well the drawing certainly looks similar to Iain's style. Who produces a complete door Markits?

Regards,

Nick.

Archived